smokers Trash can smoker

my son made this for me one year for christmas
IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

it has a brinkman heating element on it and we used an old electric skillet thermostat that you plug into to adjust the temperature .Works great with the center match wrap it holds in the heat and it has rollers on the bottom to move it around.
the only downside is you have to take the grill off to put more chips in the stainless pan on the coil at the bottom. but one load will last a couple of hrs. so it is cheap to feed.
there is a thermometer on the lid so you can have a good idea of the temp close to the rack.

looks good but using galvanized metal for smoking is not worth the risk..again it looks good and looks well seasoned

Galvanized Steel

Galvanized steel should never be used for cookware or food storage since this may lead to zinc poisoning (aka heavy metal poisoning). Exposure to high levels of zinc can cause lethargy, dizziness, nausea, fever, diarrhea, irritability, muscular stiffness and pain, loss of appetite, and reversible pancreatic and neurological damage.

Pot stands and stoves constructed from galvanized steel can cause metal fume fever when heated. This is caused by the inhalation of zinc oxide fumes or dust produced when galvanized steel is welded or burned. The signs and symptoms can be vague (shaking chills, fever, body aches, headache, and fatigue) and are similar to those of the flu or a viral illness. Onset of symptoms often occur after well after exposure (3-10 hours) and makes the connection between using your stove and sickness less obvious than one would think. Symptoms usually resolve after 48 hours if you quit cooking with galvanized steel.

Metal Fume Fever has been linked with occupational asthma and is a pretty noxious illness.

You have one great son there mate! I would still cook with it but then again i cook with aluminium all the time as well.

Novacastrian said:
You have one great son there mate! I would still cook with it but then again i cook with aluminium all the time as well.

I love the concept mate and it looks good but have to agree with Bam, It could be pretty dangerous over the long term smoking in gal steal....

I mean look at Nova in his avatar.....Do you really want to end up looking like that??? :shocked:

Novacastrian said:
Aluminum is not galvanized steel.

exactly.... my turkey deep fryer pot is aluminum.

i use to galvanize metal. that is some nasty sh*t..i once got a little cut on my arm after the metal came out of the galvanized dip tank... that was in 1989.... 20 years later the scar still hasnt faded

Novacastrian said:
I have always thought that aluminium should be avoided for cooking too, am i wrong again?

they make aluminum pots dont they?..lol

i think it depends on if its anodized aluminum or non anodized....could i tell u the difference? hell no..lol

Is It Safe?

Many people are scared to use aluminum cookware as they believe it may cause Alzheimer's disease.

Back in the 1970's, some researchers in Canada reported the finding that people who had died with Alzheimer's had unusually high levels of aluminum in their brains. It sparked controversy – was aluminum the cause of Alzheimer's, or the result of it? Many people were alarmed by this and threw away their aluminum cookware.

More recent studies would seem to indicate that the increased levels of aluminum were due to the Alzheimer's itself. Brains which have already suffered damage from Alzheimer's will allow unusually high levels of aluminum in.

This is not difficult as aluminum is everywhere. The most common elements on Earth (in order of prevalence) are oxygen, silicon, and aluminum. It's in air, water, soil and consequently in the plants and animals that we eat.

So can using aluminum cookware harm me?

Current research believes that it is safe to use. To put it into perspective, many common medications contain aluminum.

•One antacid tablet may contain more than 50 milligrams of aluminum.
•One aspirin may contain between 10 and 20 milligrams of it.
•The World Health Organization says that an adult can safely ingest more than 50 milligrams of aluminum each day. People in the western world naturally consume about 10 milligrams each day and only 2 of those milligrams come from aluminum cookware.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/232/Cooking-With-Aluminum

thanks for your concerns but the heat is what you need to consider , .the temp NEVER GETS ABOVE 200 and it was seasoned real well first.

Back