• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Travel to wild Brazil

Mata Atlantica destination ... looking for some of the rarest species of wild chili

C.campylopodium
C.cornutum
C.friburgense
C.hunzikerianum
C.mirabile
C.pereirae
C.recurvatum
C.schottianum
C.villosum

we started ... I and Claudio (lonewolf)

We traveled a lot ... and we have found so much .... Here are some photos ....

post-245-1299158871.jpg

post-2-1299102707.jpg

post-2-1299102755.jpg

post-2-1299196297.jpg

post-2-1299196323.jpg

post-245-1299158892.jpg

the full report we are writing here

http://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4926

we wanted to make a surprise visit to some Brazilian friends of Sao paulo ... but we have found so much material that could not be

some details .... we have not collected seeds ... but just because photos to document the various species found .... and do not indicate the places where we found them ... but not because they are secret, but because, as my brasilian friend says it is better to avoid

That is very beautiful Marco nice country site, awesome images ,it is a shame that you can't get no seeds out of Brazil at list you had fun & Claudio that what count. :) Maybe some day some of our Brazilian friends can send as some that be great my friend.Always is a hope! :)

Thank you my friends ... was a fantastic experience ... we are still working on the more than 2000 photos taken ....

Brazil are wonderful, and the wild

It sure looks like you guys had an awesome time there.

Looking forward to seeing a few more of those photos from your trip.

dvg

Looking forward to seeing a few more of those photos

At the moment we choose to publish photoes and report (in Italian language) on our forum, in a section visible only to members ;)
So, who wish to view more photoes and perhaps read about our trip, should register and then follow this link:
http://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4926

It's a little effort, but I assure it's worth!

Yes, it certainly is worth it. Amazing pictures. It really makes me dream I could visit such a beautiful place. Lonewolf, I have a question. Why are there no ripe pods ever on any of these wild peppers? I would imagine with a warm climate year around that some pods would be ripening while others green. The size of the plants is just stunning too.

Brazil must be a gardener's true paradise!

Chris

Why are there no ripe pods ever on any of these wild peppers?

We saw many ripe pods, simply my photoes were not so good to publish ... in the next reports you will see some photoes of ripe pod too.
However the ripening season was at the beginning; we had to choose an early season to be sure to find open flowers too.
Then you must consider that pods are deciduous, so when ripen they fall spontaneously.
Probably many are also eaten by animals; we notice that unripe pods are far hotter than ripe pods, probably to ensure that animals (not birds) eat them when seeds are ready, contributing to seeds dispersal.

All these species have ripe pods yellowish and diaphanous; seeds are brown/black.

Cross that thing with a Scorp and you would have one truely evil looking pod :hell: Does it stay green or turn to a lil red firecracker?

Back