• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

TrentL

Wow. I was kinda wondering where he went. I hope things work out well for him.

Thanks for the heads-up.

fyi, this is what Trent posted on FB March 3, 2021

It is with some regret that I have to make this announcement. Due to health issues, I will not be physically capable of doing vegetable farming this year (or future years). We will still have a limited supply of honey and organic certified fresh eggs available this year.

Another farmer will help me get in an organic corn crop in the dirt at Springfield rd. this year, which will go to an organic feed mill, and I'll sow some fruit trees at Tullamore. While those are busy growing slowly for a few years, it will give me some time to figure things out.

Thank you to all of those who supported us over the last few years. It has been quite an adventure, and you have all been wonderful to work with. I'm glad we were able to make your dinners and gardens better, at least for a time!

As far as my health goes, the doctors were able to do a nerve block in my neck that knocked down the pain I had off and on for the last decade, which grew severely worse from mid-summer last year through January of this year. As nice as it is to not be in massive, black-out levels of pain, that was just treating a single symptom. I still have ongoing coordination problems, numbness, tremors, and various other issues that are gradually getting worse. I'll be getting more tests done this year to figure out what exactly it is that I'm fighting and what can be done about it.

In the meantime, all I have to work with is my current state and capabilities; and I had to make the decision now, to call off the season for the vegetable farm. A lot of the tasks involved in the type of farming we do are exceedingly dangerous if I were to lose coordination at the wrong time. It's one thing to trip and fall in the house, or drop the random coffee cup from time to time (I usually carry my coffee cup with two hands now lol!); but if that happens around heavy equipment, someone could get hurt or killed. The last thing I ever want to do is be the reason someone else gets hurt.

Life throws us obstacles and we deal with them. Whatever this ends up being, you all know how stubborn and determined I am. Even if it's something that is unbeatable, I'll find a way to get the most out of life, and to help others the best I can manage.

Thanks to all of you for being so great to work with. We'll still do some markets this year for honey and eggs, and maybe a few other things, but it will be nothing like years past. Even with less to offer, I still look forward to seeing you all, at some point this year!

-Trent

Trent posted this a week ago, if anyone is or knows someone looking at buying high tunnels of this size, you can do yourself and Trent a great service!

I have, for sale, the parts and materials necessary to build two 24x96 high tunnels like the one shown in the pictures below (all steel, bolts, fittings) including steel end walls, and the rugged 5 year plastic to cover them (along with enough wiggle wire tracks and wiggle wire to do that). Back in 2018 I ordered 3 kits and only ended up building one.

With the addition of a few posts (available from greenhousemegastore.com) you could also convert these to build four 24x48 tunnels, or whatever would fit. However, I will not separate out the lot; I will only sell a complete kit.

Your cost is exactly what I paid for them; $5,774 per 24x96 tunnel including plastic ($11,548 for both). Keep in mind these are large structures and the sidewalls require the purchase of additional lumber, and you are on your own for ventilation, plumbing, and wiring; this is for the steel, nuts, bolts, and plastic to build the structures only! Depending on how you decide to do your plastic, entry ways, airflow, etc, you may have to acquire additional wiggle wire tracks.

Building these is not trivial - you will need a seasoned contractor to assist. It took Joe Rawe and I quite a few weeks to put this one together (plus a lot of earth moving to level grade) - and it was quite a chore!

However, I have no use for the additional two high tunnel kits, so if one of you feels like putting together a sturdy high tunnel (these are *incredibly sturdy*), by all means, I have steel to sell you!

This is sad to hear about Trent. I've known him for a while and I know that he has had a lot of challenges in his life the last handful of years concerning a lot more than his health. Last time I conversed with him was June last year, he was just recovering from a bout of Covid that knocked him out for a month. That was rough for the family farm.

While he did a lot of posting here, not so much recently, he was also a regular contributor to my favorite gun forum thehighroad.org . I don't think he posts there much at all anymore either.

Trent, if you ever read this, your in my thoughts and prayers but. Best of luck to you and your family.

Back