• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2014 Grow Log - COLD COLD COLD

Figure I'll keep track 2014 on here. At least then all my data will be in one place instead of scattered around on slips of paper.

First; PSA.

I'll *never* use the Jiffy starting pods / soil again.

I lost 95% of the plants in these two trays:

bNZv4wLh.jpg

The roots wouldn't form. They couldn't get any nutrients out of the soil, whatsoever, and tried to suck what they could from the layers of paper. 

Burpee trays with compressed peat were planted 3 weeks later and within 3 weeks were quadruple in size.

Finished transplanting all sprouts on Saturday (4-5-2014).

HZ99VoLh.jpg

xStYBqlh.jpg

I might lose a couple transplants but here's the current count (all in 3" paper cups)

7 pod Barrackpore - qty 6
7 pod Brain Strain, Yellow - qty 5 
7 pod Brain Strain, Red - qty 11
7 pod Chaguanas - qty 7
7-pod Jonah - qty 4
7-pod Long - qty 11
7-pod Original Red - qty 7
7-pod Primo - Qty 3

Bhut Jolokia (brown) - Qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (indian carbon) - qty 6
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 9
Bhut Jolokia (yellow) - qty 7
Bhut Jolokia (white) - qty 6

Brown Moruga - qty 6

Carolina reaper - qty 23

Cayenne (Sweet) - qty 3
Cayenne (large) - qty 6
Chili de Abrol - qty 10

True Cumari - qty 1

Datil - qty 3

Dedo De Moca - qty 3

Dorset Naga - qty 3

Fatali, Yellow - qty 4

Giant mexican Rocoto - qty 4

Goats weed - qty 3

Habanero (big sun) - qty 8
Habanero (chocolate) - all died / no sprouts
Habanero (orange) - qty 4

Jalapeno (black) - qty 8 
Jalapeno (early) - qty 14
Jalapeno (giant) - qty 15

Mako Akokosrade - qty 3

Naga Morich (orig) - qty 6
Naga Morich (monster naga) - qty 3
Naga morich (bombay morich) - qty 6

Pimenta de Neyde - qty 3

Tobago (seasoning) - all died

Tobago Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 3
Tobago Scotch Bonnet (yellow) - qty 5

Trinidad Scorpion (butch T) - qty 8
Trinidad Scorpion (Cardi) - qty 4
Trinidad scorpion (douglah) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion Moruga - qty 7
Trinidad scorpion (orig) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion (PI 281317) - qty 3
Trinidad Scorpion (smooth) - qty 1
Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) - qty 4

PI 281429 - qty 1

surviving overwinters in large pots:

7-Pod (orig) - qty 1
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (giant) - qty 1
Yellow Bhut jolokia - qty 2
Carolina Reaper - qty 4
Cayenne - qty 1
habanero (golden) - qty 3
habanero (tazmanian) - qty 3
Naga morich - qty 1
naga Viper - qty 2
Trinidad Scorpion - qty 1
Butch-T Trinidad - qty 2
Trinidad scorpion moruga - qty 3
Yatsufusa - qty 1
Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 1 (sole 2012 survivor)

Total 3" pot transplants: 264
Total overwinters surviving: 28

Ok doubt it was the farmers (although I hope to find out). Everything upwind of me is corn.

BUT - my son's ex-girlfriends house is directly upwind of us AND it is the *only* yard in the subdivision which doesn't have weeds. Like... ANY weeds. No clover... no dandelions.. nothing...

2,4-D is evil, evil stuff.

Since I pruned this Habanero 36 hours ago, 22 new flower buds have formed off this ONE node.

XIxuHPBh.jpg

I went around pruning again today; but I think 4 more of these overwinters are going to die. Leaves are yellowing and starting to drop off; the plant just can't stop trying to produce.
On the bright side... MATERS!

ZCSdOR0h.jpg

Yeah I'm used to seeing one or two flowers per node... not 22 of the damn things. I think that plant is toast. It's dropping leaves like crazy now; they're turning yellow and falling off. :(

Sorry to read about that damage, but it is interesting to see the overnight growth. Just amazing.

How far away are the neighbors spraying that crap? You would think in that nanny state (well just really one city, but I digress) they would have legislated everything harmful out of the state including 32 ounce Cokes. :D

Oh their yard ends about 100 yards from mine, give or take. There's a bit of forest between us and them. 
yet another damn problem... aphid infestation. I haven't seen many beneficial bugs outside. But flipped over some random leaves and there's hundreds of the buggers hiding on each plant...

Tonight I sprayed some beneficial bug food (smells like thrown up baby formula.. yuck).

Hoping to draw in some predators.

Not sure what's in the bag of brown stuff, but it looks like powdered fish emulsion. It's labeled "Bug Food" lol.

I mix it 50/50 with fine granulated sugar, then dump 1 cup of the mix per gallon.

Not sure Maximum. There's one freshly planted field west of me, dunno what they are doing there until it sprouts.

It was more than likely a neighbor upwind who had their yard professionally treated.The plants on the leading edge of the yard got hit worst, so it was definitely something carried on the wind. The way I had my pots arranged while hardening off, they went in alphabetical order (I'm a little odd that way lol). The 7-pots, bhut jolokia, and carolina reapers got hit the worst. As you go down the line, the symptoms fade away to nothing.

The overwinters got hit the worst, by far, but they were taller and had more surface area.

The rate of new growth appears to be slowing quite a lot the last day, so I'm hopeful they'll snap out of it soon.

TrentL said:
The way I had my pots arranged while hardening off, they went in alphabetical order (I'm a little odd that way lol).

The rate of new growth appears to be slowing quite a lot the last day, so I'm hopeful they'll snap out of it soon.
Thats actually a neat idea...

And, nice to hear stuff is wearin off...

This one is growing like crazy now - but at least the massive bloom & crazy shaped leaves are gone. While there's a LOT of them, they are growing in normal;

gs13vrAh.jpg

The Cumari that I topped & pruned a few days ago is going nuts.

7G5uSnrh.jpg

As is the Datil

JgEgidWh.jpg

Hard to believe this Orange Habanero was on the verge of dying three days ago. Leaves were all wilted and yellow before I lopped them off and topped it.

MCswPcvh.jpg

This Bhut Jolokia had a BIG whiff of that crap; it was all sorts of twisted a few days ago.

Now... ? Jeez.

tBAggjyh.jpg

Here's how the plants looked which were clean of damage, after topping them. Topped & pruned at the same time as the others.

x8UNesSh.jpg

The 2,4-D caused the tomato plants to grow too fast. The root systems are still developing and they're having a hard time keeping up.

Pq2Gnngh.jpg

I pruned some extraneous branches from them, trying not to hurt their development too much (these Romas are determinate).

Random Cilantro plant growing in the flower bed... leaving it alone and hoping that I'll have ripe tomatoes before it goes to seed... mmmmm Salsa.. :)

wMGRBxih.jpg

Peppers look about the same today as they did yesterday, so no updates there. I *did* give the entire garden today a dose of fertilizer - my beans were looking a little anemic and onions were yellowing on the tips, so figured it was about time, probably a little low on nitrogen (Half of that garden was lawn last year...so it's almost certainly nitrogen deprived). Haven't added any nutrients to the soil since last July, so it's probably due for something. Skipping the test kit this time... will do a few soil tests in a few weeks and see how it's doing.

Well shit. Tonight is going to be interesting for the peppers. I just can't seem to catch a break this year.

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF CENTRAL
ILLINOIS.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT

A LARGE COMPLEX OF THUNDERSTORMS CURRENTLY OVER NEBRASKA AND
WESTERN IOWA WILL TRACK SOUTHEASTWARD INTO CENTRAL ILLINOIS
TONIGHT. THE STORMS WILL ARRIVE IN THE ILLINOIS RIVER VALLEY
AROUND MIDNIGHT...THEN WILL SPREAD TO THE INDIANA BORDER
TOWARD DAYBREAK. DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH AND HEAVY
RAINFALL WILL BE LIKELY.
FLASH FLOODING WILL BE POSSIBLE IN
LOW-LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.

I realized tonight I've never posted a food picture to my Glog before. 

Which might make people wonder "what does he use peppers on?" :)

87n52pSh.jpg

It's a 50/50 mix of dehydrated Bhut Jolokia and 7-pot reds. Nasty business. A heaping teaspoon is good for a frozen pizza; in this case a nice cheese & Canadian bacon pie.

With some pods starting to grow on the plants, I'm trying to build up my tolerance again.

I also use flake on beef jerky.  

In this case a tray of Moruga Scorpion jerky, along with two trays of "black pepper jerky" (for the kids).

2apwLNWh.jpg

By the end of last growing season I'd ended up with 14 pints of flake. (that's a LOT of dehydrating, BTW... lol)

XIR4RTjh.jpg

I also maintain a secret stash of pods out in the garage in the "Upright Deep Freeze of Death" (good for chops of Deer carcass as well as pods)

rZlPVOLh.jpg

My favorite time of the year.. :)

0SenbmZh.jpg

(I also make a couple flavors of Habanero sauce for me and my buddies)

MMMMMMMmmm.. this is not baby food. ;)

tjpd3WNh.jpg

And you sure can't buy salsa like this in the store.

mTqFAFNh.jpg

That salsa had "8 black jalapenos, one Tasmanian habanero, one Trinidad moruga scorpion, one naga morich, and two 7 pot promos" (according to the facebook post I took at the time lol)

It was made using 100% fresh ingredients from the garden... which is the way I like it best. :)

TrentL said:
Well shit. Tonight is going to be interesting for the peppers. I just can't seem to catch a break this year.

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF CENTRAL
ILLINOIS.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT

A LARGE COMPLEX OF THUNDERSTORMS CURRENTLY OVER NEBRASKA AND
WESTERN IOWA WILL TRACK SOUTHEASTWARD INTO CENTRAL ILLINOIS
TONIGHT. THE STORMS WILL ARRIVE IN THE ILLINOIS RIVER VALLEY
AROUND MIDNIGHT...THEN WILL SPREAD TO THE INDIANA BORDER
TOWARD DAYBREAK. DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH AND HEAVY
RAINFALL WILL BE LIKELY.
FLASH FLOODING WILL BE POSSIBLE IN
LOW-LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.

I saw that too.  Put 22 in pots and spares in the shed.  My main plot is pretty well protected by a 6ft solid privacy fence, hopefully would survive a good wind storm as long as the fence doesn't blow down and smash them all.

Liked your food pictures.  I will be making salsa several days a week once the time arrives, thats my main thing.  Also plan on tons of dehydrating and making a ton of powder.  Probably will have enough for the rest of my life unless i can find some people to take some of it off my hands or I just get tired of it all and give up and don't process everything.

Back