• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2014 Grow Log - COLD COLD COLD

Figure I'll keep track 2014 on here. At least then all my data will be in one place instead of scattered around on slips of paper.

First; PSA.

I'll *never* use the Jiffy starting pods / soil again.

I lost 95% of the plants in these two trays:

bNZv4wLh.jpg

The roots wouldn't form. They couldn't get any nutrients out of the soil, whatsoever, and tried to suck what they could from the layers of paper. 

Burpee trays with compressed peat were planted 3 weeks later and within 3 weeks were quadruple in size.

Finished transplanting all sprouts on Saturday (4-5-2014).

HZ99VoLh.jpg

xStYBqlh.jpg

I might lose a couple transplants but here's the current count (all in 3" paper cups)

7 pod Barrackpore - qty 6
7 pod Brain Strain, Yellow - qty 5 
7 pod Brain Strain, Red - qty 11
7 pod Chaguanas - qty 7
7-pod Jonah - qty 4
7-pod Long - qty 11
7-pod Original Red - qty 7
7-pod Primo - Qty 3

Bhut Jolokia (brown) - Qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (indian carbon) - qty 6
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 9
Bhut Jolokia (yellow) - qty 7
Bhut Jolokia (white) - qty 6

Brown Moruga - qty 6

Carolina reaper - qty 23

Cayenne (Sweet) - qty 3
Cayenne (large) - qty 6
Chili de Abrol - qty 10

True Cumari - qty 1

Datil - qty 3

Dedo De Moca - qty 3

Dorset Naga - qty 3

Fatali, Yellow - qty 4

Giant mexican Rocoto - qty 4

Goats weed - qty 3

Habanero (big sun) - qty 8
Habanero (chocolate) - all died / no sprouts
Habanero (orange) - qty 4

Jalapeno (black) - qty 8 
Jalapeno (early) - qty 14
Jalapeno (giant) - qty 15

Mako Akokosrade - qty 3

Naga Morich (orig) - qty 6
Naga Morich (monster naga) - qty 3
Naga morich (bombay morich) - qty 6

Pimenta de Neyde - qty 3

Tobago (seasoning) - all died

Tobago Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 3
Tobago Scotch Bonnet (yellow) - qty 5

Trinidad Scorpion (butch T) - qty 8
Trinidad Scorpion (Cardi) - qty 4
Trinidad scorpion (douglah) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion Moruga - qty 7
Trinidad scorpion (orig) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion (PI 281317) - qty 3
Trinidad Scorpion (smooth) - qty 1
Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) - qty 4

PI 281429 - qty 1

surviving overwinters in large pots:

7-Pod (orig) - qty 1
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (giant) - qty 1
Yellow Bhut jolokia - qty 2
Carolina Reaper - qty 4
Cayenne - qty 1
habanero (golden) - qty 3
habanero (tazmanian) - qty 3
Naga morich - qty 1
naga Viper - qty 2
Trinidad Scorpion - qty 1
Butch-T Trinidad - qty 2
Trinidad scorpion moruga - qty 3
Yatsufusa - qty 1
Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 1 (sole 2012 survivor)

Total 3" pot transplants: 264
Total overwinters surviving: 28

Everything is looking just awesome Trent!

You're going to have more pods than you'll know what to do with for sure!

Thanks guys.

I had/have no idea what this crap is on a Naga Morich, except MAYBE pollen from the Rose of Sharon it's sitting under? None of the specs were moving.

Q7Q9zeLh.jpg

Diseased leaves off of a Carolina Reaper overwinter. 4 or 5 overwinters are showing this. The pots of 3 of them were sitting next to the row that has an infection....

BzBXC5jh.jpg

It gets in the stem.

q9X3L3Zh.jpg

Took a lot of pruning to get it all off.

Ag8Zx2rh.jpg

Started pruning off fungus infected leaves in the in-dirt plants, and I got pissed at this Dorset Naga. It's totally hosed up with something.. every single leaf is misshappen, spots, decay... so I ripped it out of the ground. 

GOvmHoLh.jpg

It was next to the pots with the disease, above. Showing same symptoms.

Then I realized "Man that plant came out of the ground WAY too easy."

Yeah I just ripped it out but still, that root mass is pretty weak.

a7SjMKNh.jpg

Then I felt bad. (It was my only "Dorset Naga" that survived from seed.)

So it went in to a pot full of some potting soil that'd been baking / soaking outdoors for a couple months. Slow release fertilizer is going to either kill it, or kick it in to overdrive, because it's been "slow releasing" for 2 months in the summer heat.

I'll keep it isolated and see how it does.

gCbbFwjh.jpg

Section of the garden that one was pulled from. Those plants are suffering.

owGyZe9h.jpg

Then the shocker. Another tomato suddenly wilted. So I pulled it out of the ground and examined the roots. The root core, and the main stem, were HOLLOW.

Pqh5UAsh.jpg

Worse, there were these clear/whitish bugs swarming through the inside. I got a pic before they all fell/ scampered off, and blew it up.

Opportunistic bastards or root cause?

ckNJlWHh.jpg

Have now lost over 1/2 of my tomatoes to this, and the other half were butchered from 2' down, to clear a Septoria infection (so far so good there).

maximumcapsicum said:
Wonderful pics Trent! You really produced a ton of poddage. Looks like some nice sauces and powders too!

I've still got a few *pounds* of ultrahot flake from last year. Well, mostly ultrahot. I filled 14 quart jars and 11 of those were ultrahot (bhut and above), while the other 3 were habanero flake.

I use the flake on pizzas (not OFTEN), and batches of Jerky. Still, 1 tbspn of ultrahot flake is MORE than enough to kick up a 5 lb batch of jerky to the point most people can't stomach it, so unless I go in to the jerky production business I won't go through all that flake in a year or three....

I need to make more hotsauce this year than I did last year. Ran out in march. Go through that faster. Also need to tweak and make more varieties. I did one 5 bottle run and figured that'd last me a year. (Wrong). I need to make some milder and some hotter ones.

The 5 bottle batch I did was with sauteed garlic & onions, salt, roasted habaneros, and a handful of roasted moruga scorpions & reapers, in a white vinegar base. It turned out fairly sweet tasting but a little too hot (no one I know could handle it at full strength - it's enough to give you the "next morning blues" on the toilet). A buddy of mine compared the flavor to sriracha .. but he had to dilute it. 

This year I want to experiment with smoked peppers in the sauce, and make some milder versions for casual use. (I'm finding my 'hard core heat nights' are more limited in quantity lately.. due to stomach issues.)

Not sure if I'm ready to do any fermenting. I'm kind of forgetful and easy to distract.. and well, I see that ending.. "badly".

TrentL said:

Not sure if I'm ready to do any fermenting. I'm kind of forgetful and easy to distract.. and well, I see that ending.. "badly".

Nonsense. When all the sugars are used up, it just goes from fermenting to aging. Remember, Tabasco ages their peppers for years. I wouldn't worry about forgetting about it. I have a quart jar of homegrown tabascos aging in the pantry since Jan. I'll just leave it until I need it.

Jeff H said:

Nonsense. When all the sugars are used up, it just goes from fermenting to aging. Remember, Tabasco ages their peppers for years. I wouldn't worry about forgetting about it. I have a quart jar of homegrown tabascos aging in the pantry since Jan. I'll just leave it until I need it.

Ok... any links to good threads on fermenting?

If you say it's not that hard I'll believe you and give it a shot. Looks like I'm going to have a surplus of Cayenne this year and I *do* love Tabasco sauce on .. well, every-damn-thing.
maximumcapsicum said:
I've been putting Jamison's Goat's Weed flake and hot sauce on pizzas lately. Delicious! Just need to eat more peppers man!

If you guys want some ultrahot flake from last fall, PM me your addy and I'll send out some care packs (6 or so oz. to each). Like I said I have WAY the hell more than I'm going to use!!! Might as well spread the pain.

TrentL said:

Ok... any links to good threads on fermenting?

If you say it's not that hard I'll believe you and give it a shot. Looks like I'm going to have a surplus of Cayenne this year and I *do* love Tabasco sauce on .. well, every-damn-thing.

Here is a big thread http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23146-fermenting-peppers-101/

What I did was pretty simple. Chop up the peppers in a food processor, added 3-4% salt by weight, a T of sauerkraut juices (fresh stuff from the farmers market so the bacteria was still alive) and enough water to cover the peppers.

Close the bottle and burp it every once in a while if the lid starts pushing out. There is hardly any sugars so the ferment won't be very active and need an airlock unless you added some sweetner.  A ferment of a week or so was all I needed with jals to replicate that Sriracha flavor. A month or more for most peppers though.

TrentL said:

If you guys want some ultrahot flake from last fall, PM me your addy and I'll send out some care packs (6 or so oz. to each). Like I said I have WAY the hell more than I'm going to use!!! Might as well spread the pain.

Trent, I have way more than I need here and another harvest coming soon. .............Shit, that reminds me, I need to get those 4-5 gallons of Butch Ts, 7 pots and bhuts out of the freezer and dehydrated before the new harvest starts rolling in. Next week's project.

So wait.. when fermenting you are kind of intentionally rotting the peppers?

Or does the 'kraut bacteria (whatever it is) act so fast that other nasties can't form?

I would say your curing  the peppers not rotting them.They have been doing it forever.No way to keep things cool back in the old days.If finding a good starter is what your looking for, Rocketman has a great sourdough starter,or you could go anywhere(amazon or something)and get Lacto pills.That is what I am now using and they do the job.Fermenting is a great way to use your harvest,you will flip out when you get your first  smell of a good pepper ferment.I am pulling a jar for sauce this weekend that was TS scorpions.
View attachment 12701

OK.. I've covered the tomatoes and overwinters enough.

The plants that I put in 5 gal cloth pots deserve their day in the spotlight. :)

Picked this mustard hab off another forum member this spring;
OACYyOEh.jpg

Brown Moruga (judy)
5wWHk5Sh.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Yellow (judy)
nteMQj0h.jpg

Trinidad (wild ; Judy)
8IbSY8vh.jpg

I'm SERIOUSLY wondering if I mislabeled this Habanero big sun.. because these do NOT look like habanero. They look.. frigging diabolical. (Judy)
ULINznMh.jpg

Same with these monster Naga's (Judy)
ki2lDjWh.jpg

Mako Akokosrade (judy)
HMf1cSah.jpg

Carolina Reaper taking it's sweet time... (direct from Ed Currie)
JoSjUxch.jpg

7-pot long (odd pheno; really bumpy) (Judy)
JzC67Zoh.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Yellow (judy)
ZM4S3Dbh.jpg

That's 10. Will need a couple bumps tonight. Got a lot of pics. :)

Thanks!

Thanks!

OK more pics of the 5 gallons.

Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Judy)

phoHHLEh.jpg

Bhut Jolokia White (Judy)
PypQZTEh.jpg

Brain Strain Red (Judy)
RgrmnVOh.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Red (Judy)
PTyP9xsh.jpg

7-pod Barrackpore (judy)
Ik95I88h.jpg

7-pod brain strain yellow (Judy)
tPLPi7Hh.jpg

7-pod Primo (judy)
T56nnWuh.jpg

7-pod Chaguanas (Judy) - and WOW.. this thing wants to produce, compared to the others...
Acj9hvUh.jpg

Pimento De Neyde (judy) - another big producer
eyyBaGph.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Smooth (judy)
Sm2sCB2h.jpg

Have more to go yet, if I get another bump. :)

Wait until I get back around to the overwinters, Sawyer. :)

I love how all of them are podding up true to form and beautiful specimens so far. Gotta hand it to Judy, her seeds are frigging fantastic. No random crosses like that "other guy that I used to order seeds from...." :)

JCW1TC - this is one of yours you traded me. Look at how this baby is getting loaded up!!!!

I *never* would have expected this from a little 5 gal cloth pot. That's a strong habanero strain there. Looks like someone may have done a hab/scorpion cross looking at the pheno. Can't wait to see what they taste like.
aT4zWG4h.jpg

Another one of yours JCW1TC. (Forgive the spelling on the tags, wife was helping me re-tag and the sticks were nearly unreadable by the time we potted up)
vSOXzOkh.jpg

And another one from JCW1TC; these pods are starting to get pretty huge. 
KNDWqVth.jpg

True Cumari flowers 
CTrHwqth.jpg

True Cumari pods
knFKal3h.jpg

Carolina reaper overwinter
vIx5w74h.jpg

(Same plant)
It's getting loaded with monster pods.
9uKWZGxh.jpg

Naga viper overwinter.
ahBr1DAh.jpg

Bhut Jolokia overwinter:
MK5rtfBh.jpg

I actually pulled that one out to get a better pic
3Fykqbeh.jpg

Have a few more yet. :)

Haha! Indeed. I've got a full pallet of woosey bottles in the garage, plan to go in to full on production mode this fall. Going to put back a HELL of a lot more than 5 little frigging bottles for THIS winter. :)

Flip side of that Bhut in the last post;

Vzt1b7Eh.jpg

Thing is producing like crazy. And... That soil is a year and a half old - it is ONLY living off of nutes I feed it at this point (a half dozen overwinters are a Hydro in soil experiment)

Dedo De Moca flower:

h7HEq1jh.jpg

Next time I decide to let a random volunteer tomato grow unchecked, SMACK ME. It took over that whole corner of the garden, invaded my carrots, onions, girl's flower garden, had to move my overwinters because it was smothering them, and started growing up the leftover mulch in the driveway.. it's a good 14 feet across now.

tKryUPMh.jpg

(NEXT year I'm not growing a SINGLE tomato indoors. I'm just going to relocate volunteers where I want them to grow.. I *still* have random volunteers shooting up everywhere.)

Found mole holes under my overwinter pots when I moved them. I have moles worse this year than I've *EVER* had in the past. My entire front yard is destroyed, and the network under the garden is extensive. Anywhere you poke a stick you'll find a tunnel.

xlew5jPh.jpg

Dedo de moca is really pretty:

EIC2VTph.jpg

Goats weed flower
kwm4nEMh.jpg

Ok one last photo and I'm done.

Wife took this when I was "precision fertilizing" the plants in heavy clay that are suffering from nitrogen deficiency.

kwYt37oh.jpg

"Bring it on, Rabbits. Bring. It. On."

Back