• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trent's 2014 Grow Log - COLD COLD COLD

Figure I'll keep track 2014 on here. At least then all my data will be in one place instead of scattered around on slips of paper.

First; PSA.

I'll *never* use the Jiffy starting pods / soil again.

I lost 95% of the plants in these two trays:

bNZv4wLh.jpg

The roots wouldn't form. They couldn't get any nutrients out of the soil, whatsoever, and tried to suck what they could from the layers of paper. 

Burpee trays with compressed peat were planted 3 weeks later and within 3 weeks were quadruple in size.

Finished transplanting all sprouts on Saturday (4-5-2014).

HZ99VoLh.jpg

xStYBqlh.jpg

I might lose a couple transplants but here's the current count (all in 3" paper cups)

7 pod Barrackpore - qty 6
7 pod Brain Strain, Yellow - qty 5 
7 pod Brain Strain, Red - qty 11
7 pod Chaguanas - qty 7
7-pod Jonah - qty 4
7-pod Long - qty 11
7-pod Original Red - qty 7
7-pod Primo - Qty 3

Bhut Jolokia (brown) - Qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (indian carbon) - qty 6
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 9
Bhut Jolokia (yellow) - qty 7
Bhut Jolokia (white) - qty 6

Brown Moruga - qty 6

Carolina reaper - qty 23

Cayenne (Sweet) - qty 3
Cayenne (large) - qty 6
Chili de Abrol - qty 10

True Cumari - qty 1

Datil - qty 3

Dedo De Moca - qty 3

Dorset Naga - qty 3

Fatali, Yellow - qty 4

Giant mexican Rocoto - qty 4

Goats weed - qty 3

Habanero (big sun) - qty 8
Habanero (chocolate) - all died / no sprouts
Habanero (orange) - qty 4

Jalapeno (black) - qty 8 
Jalapeno (early) - qty 14
Jalapeno (giant) - qty 15

Mako Akokosrade - qty 3

Naga Morich (orig) - qty 6
Naga Morich (monster naga) - qty 3
Naga morich (bombay morich) - qty 6

Pimenta de Neyde - qty 3

Tobago (seasoning) - all died

Tobago Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 3
Tobago Scotch Bonnet (yellow) - qty 5

Trinidad Scorpion (butch T) - qty 8
Trinidad Scorpion (Cardi) - qty 4
Trinidad scorpion (douglah) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion Moruga - qty 7
Trinidad scorpion (orig) - qty 3
Trinidad scorpion (PI 281317) - qty 3
Trinidad Scorpion (smooth) - qty 1
Trinidad Scorpion (yellow) - qty 4

PI 281429 - qty 1

surviving overwinters in large pots:

7-Pod (orig) - qty 1
Bhut Jolokia (red) - qty 2
Bhut Jolokia (giant) - qty 1
Yellow Bhut jolokia - qty 2
Carolina Reaper - qty 4
Cayenne - qty 1
habanero (golden) - qty 3
habanero (tazmanian) - qty 3
Naga morich - qty 1
naga Viper - qty 2
Trinidad Scorpion - qty 1
Butch-T Trinidad - qty 2
Trinidad scorpion moruga - qty 3
Yatsufusa - qty 1
Scotch Bonnet (red) - qty 1 (sole 2012 survivor)

Total 3" pot transplants: 264
Total overwinters surviving: 28

TrentL said:

Random mutant Habanero pod ...I've never seen anything quite like this one come off a pepper plant before.

b07ZzeSh.jpg

voFN2Axh.jpg

(It's the only pod that looks like that, on that plant.. something went haywire in the DNA...)

NICE PLOT! Green thumbs abound in this glog.  And dude...I gotta get a seed out of that pod! I can make it worth your while! 

Pepper-Guru said:
NICE PLOT! Green thumbs abound in this glog.  And dude...I gotta get a seed out of that pod! I can make it worth your while! 

Pod is in the freezer; no idea what it's been cross-pollenated with, though, have 90+ varieties in open air right now.

Don't know how exactly that pod decided to form up like that. 

14 folds on that one. Never seen anything like it.

As usual Trent,things look great.This is where you get your payoff for all the hard work and headaches.
  I grew 2013 in only containers,This year it was in dirt.There is a big difference in pod size and plant size,in my case. I am convinced that in the ground is the way to go.But also understand that some of our fellow members just don't have the inground option.And they do a very good job of utilizing their limited space with pots.

TrentL said:

Pod is in the freezer; no idea what it's been cross-pollenated with, though, have 90+ varieties in open air right now.

Don't know how exactly that pod decided to form up like that. 

14 folds on that one. Never seen anything like it.
When you get that thing outta the freezer, scoop the seeds out and I'll shoot you an envelope. :) 

randyp said:
    As usual Trent,things look great.This is where you get your payoff for all the hard work and headaches.
  I grew 2013 in only containers,This year it was in dirt.There is a big difference in pod size and plant size,in my case. I am convinced that in the ground is the way to go.But also understand that some of our fellow members just don't have the inground option.And they do a very good job of utilizing their limited space with pots.

I kind of like having both. The potted plants, I can make suffer, and control the moisture levels precisely. Even though the pods aren't as large, I feel they get much hotter, when you keep them on the brink.

The potted ones are also important from an overwinter standpoint. Makes it simple, and you aren't bringing quite as many insects in, as you would digging up dirt plants. Ever have asian beetles start flying around the house in February? I did, winter of 2012, after digging up garden plants to bring in... ;)

I'm having real good luck with second-year production on overwinters, too. First year, they did "meh", second year.. wow. Mega poddage, and they're kicking out pods in droves a month before the dirt crop.

Pepper-Guru said:
When you get that thing outta the freezer, scoop the seeds out and I'll shoot you an envelope. :)

Next time I pull some habaneros off and I get in the deep freeze to add more pods to the growing collection of gallon bags in there, I'll fish that pod out of the gallon freezer bag, and yank the seeds.

I can't catch a break. Weather looked pretty clear two days ago, and we'd gone long enough without rain that I decided to use spray a pound of liquid fertilizer on the peppers. The dirt crop is pale green and anemic....

It stormed last night and it's been raining ALL FLIPPING DAY.

And not just a little rain, my rain gauge filled up and overflowed at 5 1/2 inches.

So much for that fertilizer staying where I wanted it to. :(

TrentL said:
I can't catch a break. Weather looked pretty clear two days ago, and we'd gone long enough without rain that I decided to use spray a pound of liquid fertilizer on the peppers. The dirt crop is pale green and anemic....

It stormed last night and it's been raining ALL FLIPPING DAY.

And not just a little rain, my rain gauge filled up and overflowed at 5 1/2 inches.

So much for that fertilizer staying where I wanted it to. :(

Storm blew through last night and the rain and thunder was so intense, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a few inches ourselves. Sorry about the fertilizer, but we did need the rain here.

Yeah I can always add more I guess, if the plants look like they aren't responding to it. 

I need to take more time working and amending the soil next year. I was planning on just using liquid nutes on the "clay" portion of the garden. About 60% of the garden is just unamended clay soil that used to be lawn, so it's nitrogen deprived.

I wasn't counting on this year being the wettest one in the last 100 years, here. :)

Farmers here are loving it though; have a buddy that got an FS projected yield analysis done and most of his corn fields are pushing 325 bushels / acre on the projection. Most abundant corn crop in history right around the corner...

TrentL said:
Yeah I can always add more I guess, if the plants look like they aren't responding to it. 

I need to take more time working and amending the soil next year. I was planning on just using liquid nutes on the "clay" portion of the garden. About 60% of the garden is just unamended clay soil that used to be lawn, so it's nitrogen deprived.

I wasn't counting on this year being the wettest one in the last 100 years, here. :)

Farmers here are loving it though; have a buddy that got an FS projected yield analysis done and most of his corn fields are pushing 325 bushels / acre on the projection. Most abundant corn crop in history right around the corner...

it's the same over here ... rainstorm outside just now
lots of corn this year you say .. well, at least there's gonna be plenty tortillas to dip in all kind of salsas and sauces :)

btw ..  amazing grow Trent ... the force is strong with you :)
peace

Sorry about all the rain, you willing to share? We can sure use those amounts here!

If you do work the soil for next year over the fall-winter, it will reward you big time next season. Every year it will get better. I'm ordering some Comfrey real soon for adding to the soil.

The storms started up at 4 this morning,of course they were just to my east and heading to Des Moines then off in your direction.So I am standing out there with my water wand and flashlight giving the plants a drink as it was lightning and thunder all around me.Not one drop hit me or the garden. ;)

LOL! 

I have a feeling my wife will take a special, sadistic pleasure in chopping that one up.

(She's blanching and freezing later today).

Just a reminder for those who missed it earlier....

Free SFRB of pods will be going out over the next 2 weeks, if anyone wants to be on the list, send me your addy over a PM.

Back