• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Trinidad Moruga Scoprion sauce ingredients?

Hello,

I'm new to hot sauce making, but have been enjoying hot sauce for years. I've only ever made two sauces, the first was a disaster and the second turned out pretty well, and was a nice habanero sauce. Recently I got ahold of some trinidad moruga scorpion pods, and I'd like to make a sauce with those. Since I don't exactly run into these very often, I'd like to make a decent sauce with them, but I'd need some tips.

What goes well with trinidad moruga scorpions to make a good sauce? How many pods should I use? I want it to be noticably hotter than a habanero sauce.

Sorry if I'm unclear or if I say anything dumb, I'm new to hot sauce making. Thanks!

IMG_0570.jpg

Here's one i just made, using Mango juice, vinegar, pineapple, banana, kiwi, mourga red, mourga yellow, salt.  I used 4 pounds of peppers to make 45 bottles.  

I used a 29 oz can of pears, a pound of strawberries, one cup of halved scorpions, 1 cup of vinegar, juice from one lime, some salt, pepper, and a whole head of garlic. Its pretty good, not super hot, nice flavor. Made 6 jars before I strained it, then had about 4 after. The 3 on the right were the same minus the pears. MUCH hotter

1524620_10201331236028496_236395895_n_zpsdd14f930.jpg

My Black Label is a Moruga sauce that has been well received & I've been told that it's among the best folks have had as there's no bitter aftertaste.

To me, that's the key. The Moruga has a bitter quality to it - it also has a fruity/floral note to it. You need to play with it a bit - it's not as simple as "fruit + T.Scorp = win". I've had some prototypes that were spectacular bitter messes with fruit. I worked on that sauce for 10+ prototypes and I even had a 70 CS test batch fail due to bitterness. Back to the drawing board, but it worked out in the long run.

Crafting a sauce around a specific pepper sometimes means finding a way to highlight all of the desirable flavors and mask the undesirable flavors of a variety. It's why it takes several batches to dial it in with some distinctly flavored peppers - it's not limited to Morugas.

It's one of those things where you're going to have to play with the peppers - make a number of sauces with different things and decide what works best for you. I happened to find success with fig/apple/lime. You might find a combo that works even better.

Good luck
:cheers:

I'm actually going through this exact same issue with a Douglah based sauce. My current thought is that its a ratio problem too many peppers to other ingredients. LDHS is right on the money though and honestly to me a lot of the fun is in the experimentaatiin and teesting of new sauces. It always amazes me his sometimes just a single gram of an ingredient can mean the difference between fail success or knocked it out if the park.

LDHS pm me if you have any tips on handling the bitterness issue. Don't want ti hyjack the thread.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_0570.jpg

Here's one i just made, using Mango juice, vinegar, pineapple, banana, kiwi, mourga red, mourga yellow, salt.  I used 4 pounds of peppers to make 45 bottles.  

That one has to be awesome sounds great, I love the way the yellow Scorpion acts in the hot sauces
I used a 29 oz can of pears, a pound of strawberries, one cup of halved scorpions, 1 cup of vinegar, juice from one lime, some salt, pepper, and a whole head of garlic. Its pretty good, not super hot, nice flavor. Made 6 jars before I strained it, then had about 4 after. The 3 on the right were the same minus the pears. MUCH hotter

1524620_10201331236028496_236395895_n_zpsdd14f930.jpg

Red or yellow scorpions?

Back