• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa and the better late then never New Zealand Summer

So things have been slow ...I have been slow to get things going with my plants... Summer has officially arrived weather wise in the last week only to officially finish technically in 2 days time ... Its been cool and wet ...

My glasshouse after some wild winds combined with UV damage on old plastic has rendered it useless for now.

I had a few overwinters which I planted out. A few overwinters which are still in little pots which are finally away now. And a few new plants outside as well.

All in all I will be lucky to get any ripe pods this year. (Although plans are afoot for some lights and DWC buckets for an experimental winter grow for this hydroponic vigin [emoji1] )

List of current plants:
Chinense:

7 pot Primo x 2
Douglah 'Alphanerdz'
Bih Jolokia x 2
7 pot Yellow x 2
7 pot White
7 pot Bubblegum
White Fatalii
Yellow Fatalii
Yellow Bhut Jolokia x Fatalii f3
Bahamian Goat
Bhut jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut jolokia peach
Jonahs Yellow Brain
Nebru
My own cross as F3 x2
My own cross as F5 x 4
Scotch Bonnet Choc
Scotch Bonnet TFM
1 unknown I lost the label on

Pubescens:

Aji Oro
Ecuadorian Sweet x 2
Costa Rican Red
Red Rocoto Peruvian MKT (Paul G) x2

Annuums:

Hot Fish pepper
Jalapeño 'cracked'
Albanian Red hot
Cumra Cherry
Pasilo Bajio (spelling?)

Edit: more to come just have to actually see what I have and take some snaps

Trident chilli said:
Tristan also glad to hear that your grow is starting to colour up .... how's the bonnets and the NeBru one of my favourites
No bonnets .. They never flowered/grew well... And Nebru is still a little runt so never got anything off it ... Still surviving though so will try to overwinter them ...

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

So I finally have a couple of ripe chilli's ... And a few more on the plants ... Its turned quite cold here now though so not sure how much more I will get coming on ...
Some not chocolate bhut jolokias which have great flavour and a very good heat (read my tolerance is down and they hurt [emoji15] ) and the big one is a Costa Rican red pubescen which is delicious ... Apple / tamarillo flavour and juicy with a good decent heat behind it which fades quickly ... Would make a great jam/sauce
7ede1d149d94ddc238d4fc9b4255b5f9.jpg
cbe5d4535933eb5e549b3ec873bb0c7b.jpg

Trippa said:
So I finally have a couple of ripe chilli's ... And a few more on the plants ... Its turned quite cold here now though so not sure how much more I will get coming on ...
Some not chocolate bhut jolokias which have great flavour and a very good heat (read my tolerance is down and they hurt [emoji15] ) and the big one is a Costa Rican red pubescen which is delicious ... Apple / tamarillo flavour and juicy with a good decent heat behind it which fades quickly ... Would make a great jam/sauce
7ede1d149d94ddc238d4fc9b4255b5f9.jpg
cbe5d4535933eb5e549b3ec873bb0c7b.jpg

Dang! No Bonnets!? Maybe an earlier germination and some black plastic mulch will help. Our climates are similar, and that's how I'm able to grow the Chinense varieties outdoors.

I'm liking the look of those big red Pubes. Nice thst they have good flavor and interesting that they have a heat that fades quickly. Not much like the Manzanos then. Those have a sneaky heat that takes a while to build but end up being about Habanero hot.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
Dang! No Bonnets!? Maybe an earlier germination and some black plastic mulch will help. Our climates are similar, and that's how I'm able to grow the Chinense varieties outdoors.

I'm liking the look of those big red Pubes. Nice thst they have good flavor and interesting that they have a heat that fades quickly. Not much like the Manzanos then. Those have a sneaky heat that takes a while to build but end up being about Habanero hot.

Yeah lots of things I need to change Rick but unfortunately can't change our tough summer season this year ... Am looking at a few things to change as we speak including earlier starting and hydroponics ... All a work in fiscal management right now ... Cheers!

Superhot Sim said:
Stunning pods Tristan, and I love the colour, great flavour as you say.
I'd cut all them pods in half and smoke them with cherry dust dry them, turn them to flakes and press the flakes in a good strong mature cheese. Then smoke the cheese. Proper food Tripps lol. Enjoy.
Great to see you getting ripe peppers.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Cheers Sim ! ... Don't think I will have enough to make any decent powder ... Probably just freeze for future jam/sauces

Trippa said:
Winter is certainly starting to show up in our neighborhood ... Snow on the mountain and frost last night ... Nice sunny days though
4fc34f90920e4957092ae93f528246b5.jpg
6f234be11a24014be789802160b0175b.jpg

Absolutely beautiful scenery Tristan! I think autumn is my favorite season because I've put the garden to bed by then and finally have time to go fishing and enjoy the cool, clear weather. Do you do any Trout fishing? I understand you have a blue ribbon Brown Trout fishery out your way.

stickman said:
Absolutely beautiful scenery Tristan! I think autumn is my favorite season because I've put the garden to bed by then and finally have time to go fishing and enjoy the cool, clear weather. Do you do any Trout fishing? I understand you have a blue ribbon Brown Trout fishery out your way.

Cheers Rick ... 5 mins from my house by car ... Pretty much views of Mount Taranaki wherever you go around our region ... And as our region is a coastal region with the mountain in the middle of it ...coastline views of the mountain from the beach are standard issue (only a few mins from the coast to the mountain) pretty lucky to have this sort of thing in our back yard. Trout fishing is pretty big around the middle of the north island lakes and Rivers (Lake Taupo being the mecca) (Rainbow and Brown). Our region is full of brown trout River fly fishing options ... Although I personally have never been [emoji15]

Devv said:
Glad to see you're getting some ripe pods, and that scenery is breathtaking!

Here's to everything ripening ;)
Cheers Devv! Yeah we are pretty lucky with some of our scenery for sure.

Superhot Sim said:
That view is something money will not buy Tristan, it's breath taking, you can keep the snow. . Awesome pictures thanks for sharing.

Cheers Sim. Yeah winter is definitely coming .... Albeit we have a week of milder temps (17C-9C lows) with some rain forecast for next week or so hopefully enough time for some more ripening.

Got some 7 pot whites ripening and picked a couple that had blackened stems ... Rainy cool weather has left the plants in rough condition.
Prepped some garden space for spring and planted out about 50 cloves of 'Printanor' garlic with another 50-60 or so of another couple of varieties still to plant
0d203587536de477b43cbcc6e6a9bacb.jpg
583eec74cc28372398441fc94a90da71.jpg
f9a3bdd5146ed4b6632e515cc1af999f.jpg
f00d228f1ac1364810ad4cd077567a36.jpg

I think you'll pull more than you think you will. I've grown peppers as a fall crop a few years and was picking until they froze in January. The pods are set and unless you get the freeze they should be a go. The plant probably will stall, but I'm sure it's produce at this stage of the game you're hoping for.

Your soil looks great! And, so do the pods ;)

Superhot Sim said:
Nice looking pods Tristan , love the orange pods and nicely loaded...

Cheers Sim ... Yeah better then expected to be honest ... Loving having fresh hot chilli's about the place again!!
Devv said:
I think you'll pull more than you think you will. I've grown peppers as a fall crop a few years and was picking until they froze in January. The pods are set and unless you get the freeze they should be a go. The plant probably will stall, but I'm sure it's produce at this stage of the game you're hoping for.

Your soil looks great! And, so do the pods ;)
Cheers Devv .... Yeah they are holding in there ... The pubescens plants themselves haven't even looked ruffled by the cooler weather amazingly ... Hopefully all the green pods can hold on for a bit and ripen ... There are quite a few there
Trident chilli said:
Absolutely amazing view you have .... pods looking great too
Cheers bro! Yeah i feel very lucky on both counts!
stickman said:
Interesting... do you plant Garlic as a winter crop then?
Hey Rick. Yeah the adage here is ... Plant on the shortest day and harvest after the longest day ... Apparently the cooler weather over winter and spring encourage bigger bulbs to form and increase the flavour. I think you can harvest whenever you think they are ready after that point.
I am planting a little earlier this year as most people do to get them away and growing before the colder weather really kicks in
Devv said:

I plant it as a fall crop, September 15th. It goes until June here. Does yours take the 9 months to produce? So I'm guessing Tristen is 180° different from our schedule?

Yeah up to nine months but anywhere from 6-7 is fine ... Yeah winter solstice (June 21) until summer solstice (December 22) minimum here but most let them kick on until summer proper Jan/Feb

Back