• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa and the better late then never New Zealand Summer

So things have been slow ...I have been slow to get things going with my plants... Summer has officially arrived weather wise in the last week only to officially finish technically in 2 days time ... Its been cool and wet ...

My glasshouse after some wild winds combined with UV damage on old plastic has rendered it useless for now.

I had a few overwinters which I planted out. A few overwinters which are still in little pots which are finally away now. And a few new plants outside as well.

All in all I will be lucky to get any ripe pods this year. (Although plans are afoot for some lights and DWC buckets for an experimental winter grow for this hydroponic vigin [emoji1] )

List of current plants:
Chinense:

7 pot Primo x 2
Douglah 'Alphanerdz'
Bih Jolokia x 2
7 pot Yellow x 2
7 pot White
7 pot Bubblegum
White Fatalii
Yellow Fatalii
Yellow Bhut Jolokia x Fatalii f3
Bahamian Goat
Bhut jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut jolokia peach
Jonahs Yellow Brain
Nebru
My own cross as F3 x2
My own cross as F5 x 4
Scotch Bonnet Choc
Scotch Bonnet TFM
1 unknown I lost the label on

Pubescens:

Aji Oro
Ecuadorian Sweet x 2
Costa Rican Red
Red Rocoto Peruvian MKT (Paul G) x2

Annuums:

Hot Fish pepper
Jalapeño 'cracked'
Albanian Red hot
Cumra Cherry
Pasilo Bajio (spelling?)

Edit: more to come just have to actually see what I have and take some snaps

Trippa said:
They haven't ripened yet but have had 6-7 days of sunshine currently (another couple forecast) and another variety I picked off the ground a couple of weeks ago ripened on the chopping board so I wouldn't think they are too far off ... (I am hoping not anyway). Nights have cooled off appreciably down to ~10C at night and only hitting ~20C in the days ... I think I need some mini cloches for the next couple of weeks ... Will I get around to it .??. I hope so ... [emoji6]

Tristen, you can always use the banana-in-a-paper-bag trick.  
I have used it many times with reasonable success.  If a pod
has any color at all, it will ripen appreciably in the bag.  You
could also hang your plants upside down in your greenhouse
and let the pods ripen on the vine.

You probably already know this.  Hope you get some ripe ones,
my friend. 

With our wet climate this year BLS has started hitting almost everything in the garden ... Including green pods .... Time to start investment proceedings in hydro gear and/or lights for a winter grow

PaulG said:

Tristen, you can always use the banana-in-a-paper-bag trick.  
I have used it many times with reasonable success.  If a pod
has any color at all, it will ripen appreciably in the bag.  You
could also hang your plants upside down in your greenhouse
and let the pods ripen on the vine.

You probably already know this.  Hope you get some ripe ones,
my friend. 
Cheers Paul .... I don't know what I can do now BLS has hit and I don't really want to shift the plants around now ... I am thinking of letting them go as long as possible then cutting them right back and covering them all winter with frost cloth and experimenting on if they will survive the winter ... Save taking BLS inside the greenhouse

Go dwc Tristan with a few t5s for the winter months. Deep water culture is easy and speeds up your grow big style. Easy to set up cheap to run.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Superhot Sim said:
Go dwc Tristan with a few t5s for the winter months. Deep water culture is easy and speeds up your grow big style. Easy to set up cheap to run.

Cheers Sim !! Yeah that's the plan ... Also planning on running an aquarium heater set in the tank to keep things running nice and constant (but not overly warm) and growing a few lettuces and basil etc ... Might be harder work then I envisage but worth a shot ... Planning on running a 600watt HPS at this point

If your OK with plumbing join 4 + buckets together with a nute tank, decent air pump and have a recirculating deep water culture set up, stick your heater in the nute tank to keep temps stable, have your lighting over the set up booooooooooom grow all year

Trippa said:
I know I can Devv ... But something called fiscal responsibility and work is getting in my way [emoji30] [emoji23]

Yeah, that fiscal responsibility thing serious impedes my lifestyle..LOL

If your OK with plumbing join 4 + buckets together with a nute tank, decent air pump and have a recirculating deep water culture set up, stick your heater in the nute tank to keep temps stable, have your lighting over the set up booooooooooom grow all year

Now this sounds cool!

Superhot Sim said:

Yeah something like this ... Possibly with 4 fishbin type containers with lids covered in white plastic so they fit together neatly under the light and reflect light back up under the leaf canopy.. Will try to get a M.H conversion bulb for the initial growth to shorten the plant internodal spacing and then switch to a H.P.S bulb once they are hitting there straps ... Current plan .... Actually as cheap if not cheaper to buy here then a T5 4 batten shop light with bulbs

Unfortunately my bhut jolokia chocolates are not chocolate at all but are ripening to a reddy/orange off the plant .... Hmm might have to look at some seed reinvestment in the off season ... So I get decent strains next season. These were vendors seeds as well.

Trippa said:
Unfortunately my bhut jolokia chocolates are not chocolate at all but are ripening to a reddy/orange off the plant .... Hmm might have to look at some seed reinvestment in the off season ... So I get decent strains next season. These were vendors seeds as well.

Heh... it seems there's always something in each year's grow that doesn't turn out as we anticipate... just gotta roll with it. Sometimes these "accidents" are better than our intentions, and sometimes... not. ;)

stickman said:

Heh... it seems there's always something in each year's grow that doesn't turn out as we anticipate... just gotta roll with it. Sometimes these "accidents" are better than our intentions, and sometimes... not. ;)
I have been pretty lucky that over the years all my sought after varieties have grown true (good local Australian seed vendors to start things off helped) so I do have to take the good with the bad ... Lots of bad this year with the season etc so its not the end of the world ... A pod is a pod.
Still no sign of the pubescens ripening but good news is the not chocolate bhut jolokia pods are colouring up .... They would want to as well ... We have had snow on the mountain a month earlier then last year and the woodfire has been going full time heating the house at night for the past week ... Night temps getting down to around 3-5C some nights ... But Days have still had some sun and warmth

Just saw the first hint of colour on my pubescen pods ...a couple of the Costa Rican Red pods are starting to blush a little ... Which is great news ... Its certainly cooled off (16C highs with 5C lows) so hopefully the rest follow suit soon. (Couple of green pods I have tasted which had dropped off the plant a month or so ago had no heat at all so I hope that is changing now )
The Not chocolate bhuts are all a good hue of orange at the moment so in a weeks time I will hopefully have some fully ripe pods to pick[emoji482]

Trippa said:
Just saw the first hint of colour on my pubescen pods ...a couple of the Costa Rican Red pods are starting to blush a little ... Which is great news ... Its certainly cooled off (16C highs with 5C lows) so hopefully the rest follow suit soon. (Couple of green pods I have tasted which had dropped off the plant a month or so ago had no heat at all so I hope that is changing now )
The Not chocolate bhuts are all a good hue of orange at the moment so in a weeks time I will hopefully have some fully ripe pods to pick[emoji482]
Very cool Tristan! Hopefully they get to ripen fully. We're pullin' for ya! [emoji2]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Superhot Sim said:
You know the saying Tristan "good things come to those that wait " great news you have pods colouring up. We're all rooting for you here in the UK buddy.
Happy pickings

Cheers Sim!! Yeah was a nice surprise to see the colour coming in ... Still nothing changing on the Ecuadorian Sweet

Back