• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2011/2012 Grow log....

Over the coming days I will be attempting to log my grow so far.

It won't be as big and spectacular as most peoples here (in fact it isn't big or spectacular) but I am proud of what I have done so far with my very limited space and love my chilli's (I am sure) as much as the next person.

I have had a few small problems so far but a Massive thank you has to go out for the help so far from people like Nova, Gas, JR, Micca, Wildfire in helping me get started on growing something other then long red cayennes or other common types and answering my many questions and the generous man JR with his huge contribution to my seed stocks.

Like I said this will be an ongoing process to get this thread up to speed so bear with me while I populate the pages over the coming days ...

Hot fish are a slightly fruity/Capsicum flavour and quite juicy. Not overly hot but a definate bite ( around aji lemon heat)

Not sure about the cheiro do norte as I haven't had any as yet

IMG_20120117_184846.jpg

Jalapeno and yellow 7pot/pod

The Yellow 7 has an interesting shape. Are there many other pods shaped like it?

The Yellow 7 has an interesting shape. Are there many other pods shaped like it?
you can see another one on this grow log earlier on. Yeah they have all similar shapes. Although this one was more blocky then the others. The others had a more bumpy surface as well.

Ok so despite the long running issues with the garden on my balcony I decided to take some time to actually upload some decent photos.

Bare in mind that the black/dark blotches you see around the place is not due to some weird issue but is simply from my fulvic acid/kelp foliar spray which (because it doesn't get rained on) doesn't wash off until I spray them down with something else (the front plants near the edge of the balcony have got wet from recent rain and hence have none of the residue left on them.)

Bonus is I have plenty of Choc habs/Yellow 7 pot/pods and starting to get a few Scotch Bonnets coming along with some Bhut jolokia Assam's

Still no luck with any choc bhuts setting or trinidad scorpion butch t's either. Hopefully soon.

Garden looks a little beaten up but was in dire need of a drink when these were taken (which they will get with a half strength feed of ocean mist complete fert/or eco-fish tomorrow morning)

Pics from today

New%252520Seedlings.JPG

Some of my Latest seedlings including Most Prolific(Chacoense)
, Fatalii, Amish Bush, Trinidad Bean, Wild Brazil, and a few other wilds, Red Hab
DPP_1949.JPG

First Choc Hab and the last of my 1st crop of yellow 7 pot/pods

DPP_1947.JPG
DPP_1906.JPG

Explosive ember
DPP_1898.JPG

Another yellow 7 pot/pod on the way
DPP_1912.JPG

First of my Scotch Bonnett TFM's on its way

DPP_1916.JPG

Bhut Jolokia Assam

DPP_1901.JPG

(Rogue) Bishops Crown

DPP_1919.JPG

Garden Boss

DPP_1910.JPG

Super Chillis

Need to get myself a decent macro lense (among 3-4 others for my business) but in the mean time this (macro) 28-135mm zoom lens is all I have for this type of work

Hope you enjoy

Yeah, super nice shots there, man.

The Bishop's Crown still a mystery, hey? At least it looks like a producer. What's the taste like on 'em?

Very nice trip. Thst asssm Indian carbon looks very cool.
thanks bro. Yeah I have some more photos of the bhut j. Assam pods. Very cool looking.

Yeah, super nice shots there, man.

The Bishop's Crown still a mystery, hey? At least it looks like a producer. What's the taste like on 'em?
Thanks gas. Yeah that bishop is a weird one different then my other 2 and much heavier producer so far.
The taste is very nice with red capsicum/fruity flavour when super ripe although a little gutless compared with a chinense var. And not as much heat as I would like but tasty and a little hotter with some of the placenta left in. I saved the spiky pod seeds from it to grow again

Bummer about the heat but at least they taste alright.

The funny things look like they're moulded out of play doh or something... :lol:

Ok so despite the long running issues with the garden on my balcony I decided to take some time to actually upload some decent photos.

Bare in mind that the black/dark blotches you see around the place is not due to some weird issue but is simply from my fulvic acid/kelp foliar spray which (because it doesn't get rained on) doesn't wash off until I spray them down with something else (the front plants near the edge of the balcony have got wet from recent rain and hence have none of the residue left on them.)

Bonus is I have plenty of Choc habs/Yellow 7 pot/pods and starting to get a few Scotch Bonnets coming along with some Bhut jolokia Assam's

Still no luck with any choc bhuts setting or trinidad scorpion butch t's either. Hopefully soon.

Garden looks a little beaten up but was in dire need of a drink when these were taken (which they will get with a half strength feed of ocean mist complete fert/or eco-fish tomorrow morning)

Pics from today

New%252520Seedlings.JPG

Some of my Latest seedlings including Most Prolific(Chacoense)
, Fatalii, Amish Bush, Trinidad Bean, Wild Brazil, and a few other wilds, Red Hab
DPP_1949.JPG

First Choc Hab and the last of my 1st crop of yellow 7 pot/pods

DPP_1947.JPG
DPP_1906.JPG

Explosive ember
DPP_1898.JPG

Another yellow 7 pot/pod on the way
DPP_1912.JPG

First of my Scotch Bonnett TFM's on its way

DPP_1916.JPG

Bhut Jolokia Assam

DPP_1901.JPG

(Rogue) Bishops Crown

DPP_1919.JPG

Garden Boss

DPP_1910.JPG

Super Chillis

Need to get myself a decent macro lense (among 3-4 others for my business) but in the mean time this (macro) 28-135mm zoom lens is all I have for this type of work

Hope you enjoy

Wow nice photos,

I should have checked this out earlier. I grew one Bishops Crown last year. It kept producing until the first hard frost. Those are some cool looking pods.

Ah, the narly "Assam".......between those and ihe firey "Carbon's"....I had enough ripening at the same time last season to make some nice (XXX) powder.

I like the close-up of the Super Chillis. .....healthy clean looking leaves on the plant

Good luck with your harvst..

Greg

Bummer about the heat but at least they taste alright.

The funny things look like they're moulded out of play doh or something... :lol:

I did manage to get some ripper Bishop's Hat pods from a plant that would almost always wilt between watering. It's a tough enough plant that regular wilts didn't harm it.

The Brazilian Starfish is what I'm looking to now as an ornamental Baccatum that has a reputation for packing more heat. The annoying thing here about the Starfish plants is the trait of very long internodes resulting in a lanky tall and sparse plant.

Wow nice photos,

I should have checked this out earlier. I grew one Bishops Crown last year. It kept producing until the first hard frost. Those are some cool looking pods.

Ah, the narly "Assam".......between those and ihe firey "Carbon's"....I had enough ripening at the same time last season to make some nice (XXX) powder.

I like the close-up of the Super Chillis. .....healthy clean looking leaves on the plant

Good luck with your harvst..

Greg

Thanks Greg for stopping by. So are the carbons worth growing then?? Apparantly they crop fairly heavily??

Some good stuff you posted back a bit there (The Humates article and the pH chart).

I've only just had a quick skim through the article but will definitely have to sit down and read it fully.

Also interesting to note that a good majority (of mainly liquid ferts) are all in the alkaline range (esp liquid seaweeds with pH nearing 10) Hence I will no longer be adding any liquid seaweed directly to my soil only foliar applications

Do you think that it would make much of a difference to the pH at such a large dilution rate for liquid seaweed? (Seasol, for example, is what? 20-30ml per 9L of water?)

And if so, wouldn't simply amending the pH of the water fix the problem regarding the high pH of the seaweed?

Gas, seasol made my pH levels to get to between 8.5-9.5 pH from normal tap water pH of 7.3-7.5 (interesting that once sat outside for over 48-56 hours pH goes up in tap water from 7.3 to over 8 due to the loss of the chlorine)
Since writing that I have started to amend my pH levels each watering using dechlorinated tap water (which I had never done up until that point) after I have realised how little citric acid (how easy it was) was actually needed to amend the pH of the water down and have since used kelp/fulvic solution on my plants with a balanced pH of 6.0-6.2.

The reason seasol is such an issue is because the pH is so high (9.5 to 11.0 pH) to start with and I hadn't been amending it at all. So I had been putting high pH additives onto my plant soil for months and not bothered to check how high it actually was (stupidly I assumed that most commercial ferts would be in a pH range available for a plant to start with)

Adding to the pH theme today I added a little ecofish organic plant and soil nutirent to my watering and the pH plummeted to 4.5-5.0 (didn't have anything except seasol as a pH up and I didn't want to add any of that as I only put some on last week)
Turns out the ecofish (by multicrop) concentrate is between 3.6 and 3.8 pH!!! Next time it seems I will be adding ecofish and seasol at the same time in order to get a balanced pH.

Luckily the water running out of the bottom of the pots was still between 5.8 and 6.2pH so it shows how much of a buffer soil does give you to a mistake I guess.

Interesting you say that Trippa.
Most of my pots had a pH of about 6 before.
I've been using a lot of seasol recently, due to the hot weather and my plants wilting, after milkman linked some info that seasol helps prevent wilting.
I've been applying seasol mainly as a foliar spray, but have used it on the soil a few times. I just checked, and the pH for most plants is now 6.5-7

Some more pics from yesterday and a selection of some I picked today in my weekly garden snip and tidy up session

DPP_1927.JPG

Hot Fish

DPP_1908.JPG

Jalapeno HTM

DPP_1923.JPG

Another Bhut Jolokia Assam which still has the flower attached causing a bird type shape to form... pretty cool (although not the coolest photo but its tough taking a pic, getting it to focus and holding the pod while triying not to keel over in the garden :)

DPP_1902.JPG

Another shot of the (Rogue) Bishop Crowns

DPP_1938.JPG

One of the next breed (hopefully follow in dads gardening footsteps and keep him full of pods when he is 80 :) ) of gardeners holding the produce

IMG_2412.JPG

Peruvian White Habs

IMG_2423.JPG

Platter of relative heat

IMG_2425.JPG

More (Rogue)Bishops Crown ... the more I eat the more I like them actually

IMG_2424.JPG

Explosive Ember pods dried on the plant and picked fresh (is that an oxymoron?? )

Gas, seasol made my pH levels to get to between 8.5-9.5 pH from normal tap water pH of 7.3-7.5 (interesting that once sat outside for over 48-56 hours pH goes up in tap water from 7.3 to over 8 due to the loss of the chlorine)
Since writing that I have started to amend my pH levels each watering using dechlorinated tap water (which I had never done up until that point) after I have realised how little citric acid (how easy it was) was actually needed to amend the pH of the water down and have since used kelp/fulvic solution on my plants with a balanced pH of 6.0-6.2.

The reason seasol is such an issue is because the pH is so high (9.5 to 11.0 pH) to start with and I hadn't been amending it at all. So I had been putting high pH additives onto my plant soil for months and not bothered to check how high it actually was (stupidly I assumed that most commercial ferts would be in a pH range available for a plant to start with)

Adding to the pH theme today I added a little ecofish organic plant and soil nutirent to my watering and the pH plummeted to 4.5-5.0 (didn't have anything except seasol as a pH up and I didn't want to add any of that as I only put some on last week)
Turns out the ecofish (by multicrop) concentrate is between 3.6 and 3.8 pH!!! Next time it seems I will be adding ecofish and seasol at the same time in order to get a balanced pH.

Luckily the water running out of the bottom of the pots was still between 5.8 and 6.2pH so it shows how much of a buffer soil does give you to a mistake I guess.

Wow, I can't believe the little amount of seasol needed makes that much of difference to pH!

I really need to get myself a good pH testing meter. The liquid testing stuff I've been using doesn't really cut it (to say the least) when coloured liquids are involved.

What do you use to test yours?

And speaking of dechlorinating tap water, today I found myself somewhere I can go fill up on bore water so hopefully the old chlorine/chloramine issue will be a thing of the past. :D

Is there a detailed analysis on the back of the Ecofish concentrate bottle?

Is there a detailed analysis on the back of the Ecofish concentrate bottle?

Ecofish MSDS

Wow, I can't believe the little amount of seasol needed makes that much of difference to pH!

I really need to get myself a good pH testing meter. The liquid testing stuff I've been using doesn't really cut it (to say the least) when coloured liquids are involved.

What do you use to test yours?

And speaking of dechlorinating tap water, today I found myself somewhere I can go fill up on bore water so hopefully the old chlorine/chloramine issue will be a thing of the past. :D

Gas

pH meter from ebay.

cheap but works well for now. Might need to buy another each season but at 10 bucks who cares

Back