• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Tulle and Aphids...

Hey guys,

One of the biggest problems, based on multiple threads and postings, seems to be aphids. I was wondering if a tulle condom, so to speak, could be used to cover the entire plant? I figure you could run boiling water through the potting mix a few times to kill anything in the soil. Then plant and cover the plants securing the tulle around the lip of the pot with string or a big rubber band. I am curious as to your thoughts on the matter and if anyone has tried anything like this?

Thanks,
Josh

imaguitargod said:
It shouldn't matter b/c potting soil is pasturized (usually) so it won't have any aphids in it.

Even better. I was just thinking it would be an affordable way for indoor growers to prevent bugs.

I'm almost to the point that I am willing to break out the DDT cannister I have stored and drench the containers and plants growing in them. I'm convinced if one aphid survives, two weeks later there will be 10,000 of them feeding.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I'm almost to the point that I am willing to break out the DDT cannister I have stored and drench the containers and plants growing in them. I'm convinced if one aphid survives, two weeks later there will be 10,000 of them feeding.

Mike

haha I think you would have to put that on your plant labels. "Used very hazardous chemicals" hahaha

Josh said:
Even better. I was just thinking it would be an affordable way for indoor growers to prevent bugs.
The only time you really have to really be careful with this is when bringing plants indoors from outside.

imaguitargod said:
The only time you really have to really be careful with this is when bringing plants indoors from outside.

Yea well that makes sense. I know you brought some plants in or at least brought some into your friends house, what do you treat your plants with to prevent an aphid infestation?

Hey if you are interested I got a recipe from a friend of mine which worked great.Dead critters big time.I just used it and mine are now clean.Let me know.

hixs said:
Hey if you are interested I got a recipe from a friend of mine which worked great.Dead critters big time.I just used it and mine are now clean.Let me know.

While I don't have any plants indoors (except the 4 stumps in my basement hopefully surviving the overwintering process) I would not mind writing the recipe down for future reference. Thanks in advance.

Josh said:
Yea well that makes sense. I know you brought some plants in or at least brought some into your friends house, what do you treat your plants with to prevent an aphid infestation?

I sprayed it with Neem oil and left it out for an additional day. It worked great until I brought some tobacco leaves in that had some aphids....now there are aphids everywhere and we are spraying every week now......... :oops: D'oH!

I know another chile grower who is successful controlling aphids with lady bugs.

When I get aphids, I throw all the plants in the greenhouse out, clean thoroughly the whole greenhouse and let it sit this way 30-60 days. I then replant with no aphids.

willard3 said:
When I get aphids, I throw all the plants in the greenhouse out, clean thoroughly the whole greenhouse and let it sit this way 30-60 days. I then replant with no aphids.
Seems a bit drastic.....but whatever works I guess.

Hey sorry ,guess I wasn`t thinking but here it is.
1 tbs dawn
3 tbs dorment oil
2 tbs neem oil.
Oh yea 1 gallon water
Something with the dorment oil the aphids do not like.It`s worked great .Plants are actually starting to re leaf and look good again.

Nope ,,straight up IGGA but thanks for the warning though.I wasn`t aware of that.This has worked circles around the store bought types i`ve tried.

wordwiz said:
I'm convinced if one aphid survives, two weeks later there will be 10,000 of them feeding.

Mike
well they're born pregnant so...yep...

imaguitargod said:
Seems a bit drastic.....but whatever works I guess.

*nothing* is too drastic...

soap only works when its sprayed right onto the bugger, dried soap does nothing but eventually clog up stomata so don't forget "lather, rinse, repeat"

everytime i'd get them it's not because i didn't take precautions with the chile plant, it's because i didn't take precautions with *other* plants... like last year my mom wanted to keep a hyacinth on my shelf... damn near wiped me out.

GrumpyBear said:
well they're born pregnant so...yep...

dried soap does nothing but eventually clog up stomata so don't forget "lather, rinse, repeat"

Thanks...I was going to ask that. I guess you should avoid the concentrated stuff too?

1-2ts chile powder
1ts liquid soap (one of the 'green' types should do)
1 ltr water

mix well and spray on your plants, pay particular attention to the underside of the leaves. you can add garlic as well if you like.

Back