• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

TV station advertising Internet Scam Artists

A friend near Lansing, MI sent me this. Hard to believe a TV station would actually run this type of ad, not once but several times over at least two days:

Yesterday about four times early in the day, WLNS ran a short spot offering employment and asking that people send their resumes to willyoffer@gmail.com. The ad contained no other contact information. No business name, location, phone or web addy. The spot ran again today right about 9am on WLNS tv.

Being suspicious, I sent an email yesterday to the address asking for information about both the company and the position before I would send my resume.

At 8:45 am this morning, I received the following response. I have included the headers below the email msg content.

Reading this carefully, it sure looks to me as a scam. I would strongly suggest your broadcast standards and sales departments look carefully at this spot for suitability of broadcast standards.

Also, I think that the news department should run a piece warning people about this potential scam.

------------------------------------------------------

Dear Candidate
Thanks for the email regarding the job. We have a partime job offer available for you that will not disturb your present occupation. We are an International trading company with our corporate headquarters based in U.K. Since establishment in 1974 we have done our business in Mainland Asia, U.K , and U.S, in 1990 we extended our Region of supplies due to continuous demands to Northern America and Europe at large. We deal on raw factory materials and finished personal care products including live long products.Due to our competent records for treating customer demands and supplies, customers have referred us to other possible clients and we have been receiving orders from Northern
America, Europe and Australia.

This is one of many few important factors causing setbacks to our
organization to which we have been looking into possible ways of
solution and that is why I am contacting you today.. Most of our
customers would like to pay with their cashier check, Money order, or wire transfer into a bank account but our organization is facing serious problem in accepting any form of these payment and this is what has limited our sales and patronage to the statistics as given above. It is estimated that we have a multiple of the recorded statistics if we can accept such customers willing to have such payments as it is recorded now that we have more demands than supply. We are in de sperate [sic] need of representatives in your country who will be able to receive cash on our behalf and will at the end of the
week send accumulated cash to our depository account in the United Kingdom.And this is my proposal to you, I would like to offer you an opportunity to represent us and you will be a beneficiary of a whooping sum as cash flows in.
We have two options depending on how you wish to be paid.1. You could earn monthly, for which we will be paying you a fixed sum of 3000:00 US Dollars2. You could be earning as cash comes in, that means you will have a percentage from every money that comes in, we will pay you 10 percent of the total cash you send
into our account at the end of every week or fortnight as you choose to remit payment. For informational purpose we rake in between $2,000-10,000 weekly on the average provided our products and services get to our customers according to schedule and this is expected to increase in the next few months.I would like to know if you accept my proposal and if you would like to take part so I could let you know how we are going to go about this and I would tell you what to do.If you are interested in this proposal, I will advice you to provide us the following information:
Email:fr.richy01@yahoo.com
Reference No:- LSLCA/2031/ 8161/05
Batch No:- R4/A313/2-60
EMPLOYMENT FORM
Full name: .....................................
Address (not p.o.box): .....................................
City: ....................................
State: .....................................
Zip: ....................................
Home Phone: ....................................
Cell Phone: ....................................
Email: .....................................
Profession: ....................................
Nationality: ....................................

All correspondence
mail should be emailed to the payment Job Processing Unit. Time: 24 Hours daily by e-mail using the contact information as set below and we'll respond to you within 24-48 Hours with more informations about our business and your duty as a payment officer.Email:fr.richy01@yahoo.com
Notice:
WE NEVER ASK YOU FOR ANYTHING MORE THAN THAT, NO BANK ACCOUNT
NUMBER,ROUTING NUMBER, CREDIT CARD, PASSWORDS, SSN # ETC. IF ANYONE ASKS FOR THOSE ON OUR BEHALF PLEASE DO NOT GIVE OUT THIS. THIS TO ENSURE YOUR SECURITY AND NON INVOLVEMENT IN CASES OF IDENTITY THEFT.IF ANYONE ASK YOU FOR ANY OF THOSE INFO IN OUR NOTICE PLEASE REPORT TO YOUR NEAREST LOCAL OR FEDERAL AUTHORITIES.

Best Regards
frank richard
(Job Processing Unit)
Payments Instructor
frank richard Holdings
Email: fr.richy01@yahoo.com

------------------------------------------------------

She called the TV station to tell them this certainly smells like a scam and they did not care! I advised her to call the competition and FOX news. Tragically, some people will actually take this "job" offer.

Mike

Hmmm. An email from a yahoo account holder wanting to run many thousands of dollars in and out of your personal bank account every week.I cant decide between money laundering (if the money flow exists), or rip off artists (suck the bank account dry). Either way, sounds like a great idea! Im in!

Best thing is that some people will take it seriously, then complain loudly when they lose everything: "Well hell, Im goin have ter seell thissy here dubba-wide, now I aint got no goddamn place to live. Now Payss me those corn chips Cleetus, you know I need to eat when I gits upset."

Cleetus: "Aint just when you upset..."

This scam has been around for at least 6 years, I remember seeing it when I was a Snap on dealer.

I'm not surprised the scam artists are trying to advertise it - I get about a dozen of these things a week wanting to advertise in my paper and pay in advance with a credit card. But where are the brains at the TV station - on furlough? Certainly they cannot be is such dire straits as to need these kinds of ads??? That station ought to have its license jerked.

Mike

If they can afford to advertise it means that suckers have already been ripped off. Hmm i wonder what the law is doing right now..

Similar system was here awhile ago. Was found to be Russian/Eastern European Mafia moving money stolen from credit cards and bank account cards being transferred out of the country. Money had been stolen from the process of "skimming" whereby your card is run through a card reader (skimmed), electronically imprinted onto another one, whilst a camera videos you entering your PIN.

Remember, when using your electronic money, keep the card in sight at all times.

Back