• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Type of chili plant

Hi, i'm wondering what type of chili plant I have, so I thought this forum would be a good place to ask. I made some pictures:

pic01lh7.jpg

1zoi3id.jpg

wsu3cp.jpg

309okz7.jpg

I am seeing those a lot in stores, sold as ornamentals. I've asked various times what it is, the best answer I got was "a chili plant".

I just tried one for the first time to see what it tastes like. After eating just the tip of the chili my mouth is burning like crazy and i even felt it in my ear (weird). lol

It looks like a prairie fire but color is wrong and there so many ornamentals these days,Ive got a catologue with 8o new ornamental variety's just from one supplier im giving them a miss next year unless they taste as good as prairie or little elf as some ive grown this year the pods are only good enough to add to compost :onfire:

They're not bred for taste and aroma, that much is true!!! I will still grow some, because they are simply beautiful and they make great presents for people who wouldn't eat them even if they tasted good but love to look at them - like my mother...

You should be careful what you put in your mouth some of ornamental peppers are not eatable have label attach to the plant if you don't see that than if fine I guess.Italian guy what Negrito post his site crossing bunch of ornamental peppers maybe one of his variety.
htp://www.stupage.asp?IDCategoria=562&IDSezione=2978&ID=69002tard.it/

Chiliac said:
They're not bred for taste and aroma, that much is true!!! I will still grow some, because they are simply beautiful and they make great presents for people who wouldn't eat them even if they tasted good but love to look at them - like my mother...

Vert true and i did the same myself lots of my family have Black pearl/Royal Black and Verigata/Brazillian rainbow and love them for there beauty :onfire:

I don't think 'they' would sell poisonousness plants to costumers. Then again, there are a lot of sick people out there these days. I think its edible, but it gave me a sour stomach (most likely because I ate it in the morning after eating only a sandwich + a cup of coffee).

I found several varieties that are visually indistinctive to my plant (at least from the small photos available), after having only looked through a 3rd of the database. I don't think I will ever find out what type of pepper it is. :hell:

noaccess said:
I don't think 'they' would sell poisonousness plants to costumers. Then again, there are a lot of sick people out there these days. I think its edible, but it gave me a sour stomach (most likely because I ate it in the morning after eating only a sandwich + a cup of coffee).

I found several varieties that are visually indistinctive to my plant (at least from the small photos available), after having only looked through a 3rd of the database. I don't think I will ever find out what type of pepper it is. :(

No my friend they say clearly if theres a problem with poisoning/Or don't eat the fruit etc so would not worry and Hay Big Welcome to the forum :hell:

Some ornamental peppers are not very tasty, actually some taste like crap, but they wont poison you.

BUT: don't think that because you can buy it in a store, it is not dangerous (not this plant, but in general), you can poison yourself easily with a good percentage of the plants sold at stores. Just think of Datura and the likes. There is one plant that looks very much like a pepper (it has small ball shaped yellow-orangish fruit) and is pretty poisonous, too.

Back