UDS problems (No workEE plEEse HelpEE)

I just don't get it. I used a full box of firestarters under my charcoal basket, got about three quarters of them (bbq charcoal thingies) glowing and then into the uds.

Then i sat the uds on top of a bed of coals, put the drumsticks in and waited and waited and waited... Getting the picture! I think that my airflow may need some improvement because it's the only thing that makes sense. What kind of flow do you use?

My drumsticks were ready when i got up for work this morning, the dog will enjoy them this afternoon. :rofl:

Make sure your basket is elevated. You need a grate at the bottom of the UDS a couple inches from the bottom.

Do you have a vent in your lid?

I started with all 3 vent holes open around the bottom and the webber lid vent holes fully open. After I go to about 150 C I plugged up the 2 threaded holes in the bottom and adjusted the ball valve to half way, and left the webber lid vent holes fully open. I waited about 20 minutes to ensure the temp was stable at 150C and in went the food........(I know now that the temp was to hot..:lol:)

I ended up using the basket as the stand and used the standard webber coal rack for the coals so I could get more on.........The small basket just won't get the heat levels needed, and if by chance it does, it wouldn't be able to hold it for more than an hour.....I went and checked the temps about 2 hours after removing the food and the temp was still steady at 150ish.....So that meant I had 150 C for a minimum of 4 hours which is pretty good.

Put a smokestack in the lid. 3" steel pipe with cap, if you're handy. Basically the cap has a hole with a bolt coming up through it, and on top is a spring, with a nut holding it down. Just make the cap a little bigger than the pipe and weld the bolt to the side sticking up the back (or weld a lip with a hole and put the bolt through). Drill a hole in the cap, put on. Pop spring on, then bolt. This keeps it down, but you can move it to open, close (side to side). You can see in the pic below.

If not handy: Buy one

When you pop the lid on align the smokestack opposite of the intake for cross-flow, unless you have even intakes, then it doesn't matter.

texas blues said:
Linoleum.

Salute', TB.

:rofl:

Funny bastard!!

Alright i have now learnt that i need some more vent holes through the base and a smokestack.. and a new coal basket.

hehehe, thanks guys!

You could put a damper on the lid too.

East to build. Cut holes. Cut matching piece. Bolt on.

So you had one intake at the bottom, and no vent? No wonder there was no heat.

I have had to add an additional 2 3/4" holes at the bottom of the barrel in line with the fire basket, it works really well along with the controlled opening (valve) Never had a fire burn out and it almost consistantly at 225.
I also have 6 3/4" holes on the top lid that I can also cover up if needed to help control heat.

Hope this helps

Novacastrian said:
:rofl:

Funny bastard!!

Alright i have now learnt that i need some more vent holes through the base and a smokestack.. and a new coal basket.

hehehe, thanks guys!

Did you read none of the links that Bams posted in regards to making a UDS????? :lol:

Without vent holes in the top AND bottom you will not get the 'draw' at is needed to firstly keep oxygen flowing and feed the fire and secondly to keep the smoke moving over the food to get all the flavours into the meat.....

And with a UDS you need to have everything as black and white (on or off) except the valve which regulates air flow/temps.

So as a result, putting the UDS on a bed of hot coals is a bad idea cause you can't control it. You can't regulate the temp of the coals in the open air so in turn you can't regulate the temps in the UDS....

No vents at all! Chicken in UDS 24 hrs.

Valve adjustment? I say meter adjustment ;)

:lol:

thehotpepper.com said:

thehotpepper.com said:

I totally agree with the meter adjustment but for double posting I think you need a point as well, not that you can get more than infinity...

Now listen here you pack of gooses! 1. Thanks for starting a thread, it makes me look the proper goose!! :lol: 2. I DO have vents at the lid, a 3' and a 1'. 3. I read about 10 seconds worth of bams advice, you see for me i don't learn nuffin without first failing and learning from my mistakes!
4.Meter adjustment forthcoming, 11 is my fav number anyway.
5.Get back to work pip ya lazy bastage.

Novacastrian said:
Now listen here you pack of gooses! 1. Thanks for starting a thread, it makes me look the proper goose!! :lol: 2. I DO have vents at the lid, a 3' and a 1'. 3. I read about 10 seconds worth of bams advice, you see for me i don't learn nuffin without first failing and learning from my mistakes!
4.Meter adjustment forthcoming, 11 is my fav number anyway.
5.Get back to work pip ya lazy bastage.

So what are you gonna do?

Call ghostbusters!! :lol:

Ima take de barrel an frow it on da woad. Afda da carz runded oba eet eeet wull getted somz holz me finkz!

Failing that i will simply install two more valves, a chimney, tiki bar, wide screen LCD telly, vaporiser and a 7.62mm machine gun to it. Should be a walk in the phucking dark boss!

Don't forget a cup holder.

Back