• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Uknow 2018 - The Heat is On!

Hey all!

Just a quick sneak peak. I planned on dirt day being January 1st this year, but it ended up being today (yesterday), January 18th. Still about 2 weeks earlier than my first set last year. As long as I don't have any major setbacks like last season, I should crush it this year! *Knock on wood*

So I finally got the grow box/tent, lights and heat mat set up in my unfinished rec room downstairs of the new house. The room is about 6' x 9'. Had to cut about 4 inches off one side of my table, it's a tight fit, but I didn't want to go lengthwise, lol.

I planted 4 trays of Chinense only so far. Heat mat is set to 83f. I learned my lesson last year with planting Annuum's and baccatum's too early. Not doing that again! I'll wait at least another month before I start them.

I didn't put together my official grow list yet, but you can see most of the varieties in the pics. Mostly the same as last year, I didn't order any new seeds. I'm missing a few varieties though due to not getting any pods from a few that the deer mowed down last season. (I'm looking for Chocolate Bhut, JPGS and a couple others if anyone wants to trade some seeds)

Also, of the 22 plants I tried to overwinter, 10 survived the aphids and neglect from me. Only watered twice since October, oops, haha. 5 I think have some life left in them, and 7 were completely toast. I'll get a list of the survivors tomorrow when I do my grow list.

af837cbb5e881a41aeee48bc33e81720.jpg
48da77ce0d00b919cc96f00039220e23.jpg
5721cb4fea8e4fad7fce78c61c574e5a.jpg
ae7f4cd75c68bd88d328cabf894c0308.jpg
cfb6671adfe8e568b2b0ecd4b4c1202e.jpg
c37bfb78912dd5b35eba76b30b466a1d.jpg
9e12f5f99cc13c3e37173593ffa565e1.jpg
9312737a8edee75fb7218db0685328f0.jpg
9bb960e42b6ee759f45c23161980507b.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Got most of the new kids in the dirt! Pretty much all I have room for at the moment with saving some space for my Annuum's and stuff in a few weeks. Decided to go with 3 cells per variety, and 2 seeds per cell. So total of 6 seeds per variety, but just hoping for 2 or 3 of each to germ. This allowed me to fit 24 new varieties into one tray.

I also pretty much called it already for anything not germ'd from my first batch, ended up at 62% germ rate overall. I filled those empty cells in with some of the doubles that I had by splitting some apart and just culling anything I didn't have room for after that. It also allowed me to make room for some of the new varieties. Now pretty much every cell is filled. I also re-sowed my normal CPR and THSC Chocolate T Scorp's with what I had left.

15d0c4cd4f6d16797449acd7ece7080e.jpg
64b2fedc59ca3a612a4c9cee33436d35.jpg
23fd86d57be9ee96c32441737da918c3.jpg
8162d678138fc35e8fd1a88585177367.jpg

Those primotalli are awesome.  They were sent to me from Tom Motta in PA a few years ago.  Good flavor and the shapes are wild.  I had one orange brain strain seed left a couple years ago and finally got one to germinate so i've been passing around seeds from that plant to keep it going.  I had a mustard BBM pop up last year from those gnarly chocolate BBM i germinated.  Those ebony habanero from Justin White are the largest habanero iv'e ever seen.  I think the Bad brains is a unknown fatalli cross.  Did i send the peach x?  Jay's peach x peach bhut from Spicegiest?

jedisushi06 said:
Those primotalli are awesome.  They were sent to me from Tom Motta in PA a few years ago.  Good flavor and the shapes are wild.  I had one orange brain strain seed left a couple years ago and finally got one to germinate so i've been passing around seeds from that plant to keep it going.  I had a mustard BBM pop up last year from those gnarly chocolate BBM i germinated.  Those ebony habanero from Justin White are the largest habanero iv'e ever seen.  I think the Bad brains is a unknown fatalli cross.  Did i send the peach x?  Jay's peach x peach bhut from Spicegiest?
I tried a little piece of the Primotalli placenta that was in the bag, it lit me right up! I can't wait to try them, fingers crossed. I found a pic of them on here last night.

Yes you sent the Jay's Peach x Peach Bhut. I have some of those going as well!

jedisushi06 said:
which ones did you plant?

Here is what I planted last night from you:

7 Pot Brain Strain Chocolate
7 Pot Brain Strain Orange
7 Pot Congo Chocolate
7 Pot Lava Chocolate
Bad Brains
BBM Chocolate
BBM Mustard
Bonda Ma Jaques
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Chocolate Ebony
Habanero Mustard
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorp x Peach Bhut
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Jay's Red Ghost Scorpion
Primotalli
Reaper x Unknown (long Chocolate)
Scotch Bonnet Chocolate
Scotch Bonnet Papa Dreadie
Scotch Bonnet Red MOA
Scotch Bonnet Yellow MOA

Here are the others I have from you that I have not planted yet:

Bonda Mahala
Habanero Aji Puertorican Yellow
Habanero Snow White
Naga Brain Yellow
Naga Yellow
Scotch Bonnet Belize
Scotch Bonnet Burkina Yellow
Scotch Bonnet Faria
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's
Scotch Bonnet Red
Scotch Bonnet TFM

And here is what I planted last night from Genetikx:

Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Wartryx MA (Hand Grenade Pheno)

Oh no... I think my heat mat is dying/broken. The right 2/3 of the mat is not getting very warm, while left 1/3 is smokin hot. So of course my sensor is in the middle, which happens to be in the area not working, so the sensor thinks it's cold and has been running the heat mat wide open. Its only been since yesterday I think, but still. And of course it just so happens that's the spot with my seeds from Jedi and Genetikx...

Of course something had to go wrong, everything was going too perfectly this season.
5a7bea4e94b23bbdb697b8627a51ad4e.jpg

b3a62fca585d01fa6fc95d61503993fa.jpg

aacfafe17c6e37a86373281b55f02bca.jpg

Devv said:
Yeah, I rerouted my thermostat sensor over to that tray after letting them cool down. Time will tell if they got cooked or not. I got them in the dirt about 4am on the 3rd. I'm pretty sure yesterday was the first time I noticed something funky, because when I checked the temp, it said it was at 80f, but normally it never gets below 82.7 or so with it being set at 83f min, 84f max. So it's probably been 24 hours, maybe less, at that temp. Hopefully they are ok, but I know anything over 90f is not great and over 95f is bad.

I have two smaller 10x20 mats, so I think I'm going to just use one of those since only one tray needs a mat for now.

Dinsdale said:
Maybe you've jinxed yourself with your thread title!  [emoji14]
Joking aside, I hope they're fine! Those varieties look interesting.
Lmao, you're probably right! :ROFL:

jedisushi06 said:
Doubt they got cooked.  Maybe put a bath towel under the tray to deflect some of the heat.
Hopefully not. We'll see in a week or so I guess. I'm pretty worried. I've had trays get up to mid 90's on accident before I had my thermostat, and they were still fine, but never almost 103f, lol.

Thermostat is working fine, it's the heat mat that's jacked.

Back