• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Unpinched vs. Pinched - photo comparison

I was a little nervous and reluctant to pinch new buds on my plants but so many swear by it. So I thought I would try an experiment. I have 2 Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet plants that are the same age. The only difference is the pot style they are growing in. But they each looked identical before my experiment.

So as soon as they started showing buds, I pinched them off of one but let the other continue with no intervention. The 1st photo is the one I left alone. The 2nd is the one I pinched. They are approximately the same height.

unpinchedbuds.jpg

pinchedbuds.jpg

Needless to say...I know what I will be doing with all my plants next year.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Well I would not say pinching had 100% to do with the results. I believe the pots are playing a HUGE part. :)

Agreed.  I don't have any real proof to back it up, but I'd suspect with both the color and material being very different, the soil environment could be considerably different between the two.  All the same, impressive difference between the two!

I did the same with 4 scotch bonnets, 2 I pinched, 2 I did not, all in identical pots, and identical soil

I had reverse results, and in extreme manner, all natural is still 2x the size, and produced 8x the pods

This makes complete sense as the plant puts its energy into growth and nodes vs buds and flowers, just think if you would have topped it!

Nice plants either way.

I started an experiment this season and made sure to use the exact same (standard plastic, brown, drained) pots, about 10 inchers.
Ya need EVERYTHING the same so you have an accurate control plant. Anyway after fertilizing all last summer a few hippyish friends got to me on the "i never fertilize" thing.

I took 2 identical fataliis, same age and size ran fox farm nutes on one and nothing on the other inside in solo cups till plant/pot out where they both got the same pots and same spot. Fox farms (every other week) on one, just water on the other.
I did do a cheap soil test kit on the potting soil i used which was used once last season then stored in a covered tub all winter. The test showed good NPS to start. So the few wrenches came with our bad start this season with cold, wet weather.
Following my plan, sometimes (most times) come fertilizer day, the plant was well watered by rain but i went with it anyway. All in!

The slow warm up here may have set fruits that just froze in size.

Long story short.

Fertilized plant set one pod about 3-weeks before the watered one. I finally pulled that pod last week as it never got bigger than a penny.

Just babbling now sorry.

Use controls  , everything the same! But nice plants Wustof and thanks, good grow!

Oh sorry. Ive not fertilized anything but the one since start up. They are both the same right now pod, size and healthwise. If anything the water guy is a little better. Check your dirt i guess is a good lesson

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Well I would not say pinching had 100% to do with the results. I believe the pots are playing a HUGE part. :)
yeah, the one in the white has more stressed roots: the soil is constantly hotter and the roots get way less air

also looks like the bottom one is in the shade for longer just by how big the leaves are

You really need a big sample for experiments like this, too, to limit the random effects of individual plant genetics.  Maybe you've just got one plant here that was born to be a monster.

-NT

You would really need to use several clones from the same "supermum" to get proper results, genetics between 2 seeds can vary WAYY too much too call this a good comparison. After much research, I too believe it has a lot to do with the pots

Wusthof said:
I was a little nervous and reluctant to pinch new buds on my plants but so many swear by it. So I thought I would try an experiment. I have 2 Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet plants that are the same age. The only difference is the pot style they are growing in. But they each looked identical before my experiment.

So as soon as they started showing buds, I pinched them off of one but let the other continue with no intervention. The 1st photo is the one I left alone. The 2nd is the one I pinched. They are approximately the same height.

unpinchedbuds.jpg

pinchedbuds.jpg

Needless to say...I know what I will be doing with all my plants next year.

The first plant bears a striking resemblance to what ended up being a Capsicum Annuum Jamaican Yellow Mushroom. Sorry to break the news that your two plants are BonNots. The leaves and growth habit of the plants is that of Capsicum Annuum however Scotch Bonnets belong to the Capsicum Chinense species. 

What was the origin of the plants?

harry said:

The first plant bears a striking resemblance to what ended up being a Capsicum Annuum Jamaican Yellow Mushroom. Sorry to break the news that your two plants are BonNots. The leaves and growth habit of the plants is that of Capsicum Annuum however Scotch Bonnets belong to the Capsicum Chinense species. 

What was the origin of the plants?

I got the seeds from a Jamaican girl that works at the company I am employed at.  I guess I just assumed she knew what they were. 

ghost scorpion grower said:
Yea those plants look like just like my banana jalapeno and bell plants.. nothing close to my habanero

Yeah, who knows?  This is my first year growing whatever kind it is.  I will keep everyone updated.  Both are budding now.

Back