• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Updates: January 27th and March 2nd

Hello all, been a while since I last posted and since cutting back my first year crop of Habaneros, I have some updates!

January 27th and March 2nd:

January 27th

Phto0027_s.jpg

High Res

Phto0028_s.jpg

High Res

Phto0029_s.jpg

High Res

Phto0030_s.jpg

High Res

March 2nd

Since the above update, I changed my lighting configuration... No more ugly foil reflectors for each light. Now I have three panels of 6 - 26 Watt - CFL lights each. 3 Red (2700K) and 3 Blue (6500K). I also have three dangling lights with two lights (23 Watt CFL x 2) each at angles, for below the canopy (to make up for CFLs poor depth). For a total of 6 - 23 Watt CFLs for below the canopy and 18 - 26 Watt CFLs for above illumination.

Light_Panel_Layout.jpg
Light_Dangers.jpg

Budding has been strong of late, have been pinching off handfulls every other day it seems... Most of them seem very healthy and branching out. I'll be needing to raise the light panels soon. Plants seem to be growing very bushy compared to last year (their first year)... I guess this is due to cutting them back.

Overview.jpg

Branching.jpg

Nice Dark very bushy plants RichardK, Well done, how old are the and how tall, hope ya get some good pods of them!
Grant

Thanks everyone, worked very hard on them and it's a blast growing these things!

JungleRain said:
how old are they

I started these guys in January 2008, Theres a few Orange Habaneros, and most of them are Caribbean Red Habaneros. From the 08 season, I got several gallons worth of frozen pods in my freezer! After the first frost, I brought the ones outside inside, and cut them all down to stumps leaving about 5 inches above the soil and then I waxed the tops.

I had an aphid infestation, every plant was infested and after removing the mulch, and cutting them back I inspected every plant & pot and killed every aphid in sight, then poured steaming hot water into the pots.

I placed them in my grow room with a light over every plant, two of them never sprouted although I was able to make a cutting from one of the red habaneros to replace one of the lost plants.

I have not seen a single aphid since, and I'm glad because I thought I'd have to tear out all the plants, roast the soil and start over from seed!

Heres just a taste of my 08 harvest!
Pic0382.jpg

JungleRain said:
and how tall
The tallest one right now is a little over 2 feet tall, the rest about 1' 8".

Compared to this time last year, I have an over two month head start!

These were the same plants on April 21st from last year:

Overview.jpg

Then one month later on May 21st they looked like this:

Pic0115.jpg

A tad smaller than what they are now, and that was May 21st!

I think it's safe to assume I'll be exceeding last year's harvest!

Back