Urine in compost?

I've found that not only does piss "activate" the compost to speed up the decomposition/oxidation process of the organic matter, it can also satisfy a good portion of the water requirements of the pile. Contrary to what some may think, the pile really doesn't stink and the finished compost has a sweet, forestry smell.

Bob_B said:
I've found that not only does piss "activate" the compost to speed up the decomposition/oxidation process of the organic matter, it can also satisfy a good portion of the water requirements of the pile. Contrary to what some may think, the pile really doesn't stink and the finished compost has a sweet, forestry smell.
Glad to hear someone with some experience I'm just winging it over here in Arkansas! I just put a fresh bucket of pee/kitchen scraps in my tumbler this morning!

JoeFish said:
 I'm just winging it over here in Arkansas! 

I hope I'm not the only one here that's curious to hear how your compost turns out. If I didn't have neighbors I'm sure I'd be whipping it out every time I walked past my compost heap. And although my wife tolerates my gardening/pepper fanaticism for the most part, I'm pretty sure saving buckets of pee is somewhere WAAAY over the line.

Proud Marine Dad said:
No reason to do this so don't.

Psssh. You're just jealous because you didn't think of it first. :rofl:  Nothing wrong free fertilizer as a result of thinking (and peeing) outside the box!

dash 2 said:
 Psssh. You're just jealous because you didn't think of it first. :rofl:  Nothing wrong free fertilizer as a result of thinking (and peeing) outside the box!
It's an old trick cheapskate Canna growers use when they are too cheap to buy nitrogen. If it floats your boat have at it. I won't ever use it on my compost. lol

Pi$$ on that!

FIRST.

Really?
Nobody else got to the one liner yet?

But really, I have some horses.
Aged and diluted--- mixed with the "other stuff" as naturally occurs---no problem.
Fresh?
Herbicide, IMHO.
And it smells.

If you can smell it, it's too fresh to use.

dash 2 said:
     Remind me to never go canoeing with you.  :shocked:
You wouldn't catch me dead in a canoe. :rofl:

millworkman said:
I pee in my pile all the time.  Also helps keep critters away if you didnt mix fresh greens in well enough.  I also pee on my woodchip piles that will be "fermenting" for a while. 
Noah, I use a Smith & Hawken Biostack system so critters are not a problem. ;)

Lol about over the top with the wife! I do do this "under the radar". But the final compost is very nice!

Back