• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Use of Iodine to Kill Mold

Got some spots of mold growing on the top of the soil in a couple of the peppers. I've read here that iodine will kill mold. What is the mixing ratio of iodine/water to effectively kill it?

I spray it directly onto the mold? Will it cause any problems if it gets on any leaves?

Thanks everyone.

For mold, some member have had success with cornmeal, I 've also used a bit of baking soda on top of the soil

Cornmeal, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide all work to kill mold eh? Cool.

Does anybody know how much iodine I need to add to a quart of water for it to be an effective mold killer?

Thanks.

forthelasttime-1.jpg

Patrick...I don't use Iodine and it doesn't look like many others do either...sorry to be of no help...

Crud. Now where in the heck did I get the idea to use iodine as a mold killer?:oops:

OK, thanks anyway everyone, my bad.

How about the peroxide then? Should I mix it with water? What would be a good ratio?

patrick said:
Crud. Now where in the heck did I get the idea to use iodine as a mold killer?:oops:

OK, thanks anyway everyone, my bad.

How about the peroxide then? Should I mix it with water? What would be a good ratio?

About 1-2TBSP (of 3% H202) per gallon of water. Doesn't take much.

Willard said:
* Posted by willard3 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 9:51

1 tablespoon/gallon of water of 3% hydrogen peroxide or 500-1000 ppm.

Quick google search to make sure I remembered ratio correctly, found this on gardenweb lol. Thanks willard!

In my research online i came across a much higher ratio for hydrogen peroxide. for 3% it's about 1/2cup per gallon, and 2-3 tablespoons of the higher percentage version. I've done every other watering with 1/2 cup per gallon and had ZERO ill effects. Apparently it doesn't kill plants at all when diluted like that.

I'd stay away from iodine, as well as peroxide unless you have root rot problems or are using it to pre-sterilize water or equipment. It(h202) can break down nutrient bonds as well as kill beneficial microbes.

Perhaps related, I tried using the weak chamomile tea method on my germination box, and no mold so far.

IDK about using it for regular waterings though. Can't imagine it'd hurt.

I quit using peroxide in my watering mix because:

From FAQ on Botanicare website..

Q: Can I use hydrogen peroxide with Pure Blend Pro or Liquid Karma?
A: No, hydrogen peroxide will kill off the beneficial microorganisms present in Pure Blend Pro and Liquid Karma.

I use both of these in combination...

AlabamaJack said:
I quit using peroxide in my watering mix because:

From FAQ on Botanicare website..

Q: Can I use hydrogen peroxide with Pure Blend Pro or Liquid Karma?
A: No, hydrogen peroxide will kill off the beneficial microorganisms present in Pure Blend Pro and Liquid Karma.

I use both of these in combination...

Huh, we're going to get you going natural yet!

Back