• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Uses for Ornamental Peppers

I am growing a beautiful Chinese Multicolor that is producing more pods than anything else I'm growing. I ate one and I found that my experience was exactly as I read it would be: hot with a touch of bitter flavor. Has anyone discovered a way to use these peppers for anything other than decoration? I was thinking about using them to have some capsaicin infused vodka.

I have several different plants that are probably classified as "decorative". I dehydrate them and use them in spicy seasoning mixes, seasoned salt, in relishes etc. Most often I just crush a couple on top of what ever I'm eating...When eating at a restaurant,I almost always have a few of them (and some dried bird) peppers) in a little pill box in my pocket.Beats the heck out of the tasteless black pepper you find on the table.

I've got hundreds of ornamentals this year. I use some pods for pesticide sprays but most just get composted or strung up for decoration. Fermenting the pods may improve the flavor, but I guess you'd have to try to find out

you can pickle them with some fresh onion and garlic and your favorite spice and eat them with or in meals i have found them to be good when im not in the mood to have my head blown of

i eat the pickled 5 color and other ornamental with meals such as spaghetti i find them to be very tasty the way i prepare them
you can also boost there flavor a little by just throwing your favorite hot pepper before canning them

hope this helps

thanks your friend joe

I would think fermenting them and making a hot sauce would be a good use. One of my creole members from a former church just used them in whatever spicy dish she was making.

A lot of times those slightly bitter or complex tasting peppers make great powder.

I also think pickling is worth a try, as long as they maintain some crunch and have the right spices it should come out pretty good, maybe even great.

I always grow lots of Chinese 5 color plants and have never really found a good culinary use for them. If you don't have other peppers then I might experiment but since they are not much for flavor and full of seeds, I'd personally always choose other more flavorful chiles

Back