• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

raised-bed Using cinder blocks for raised beds question.

I know what you mean about clay soil, same problem down the road in Lake Charles.  Had to do the raised bed route as well.  

queequeg152 said:

concrete masonry unit.

aka cinder blocks.
I wouldn't think cinder blocks would absorb heat and transfer it to the other side, it would be more radiant heat.  Hot on the side where the sun is hitting it cool on the other side.?

queequeg152 said:
regarding how ugly CMU block construction is...

you will find that it is trivial to install a natural looking stone veneer on any CMU construction. you can even add a slate cap stone if you like. it looks pretty nice.
you can do fake stucco... tile/ tile mosiacs(prob. not a good idea.) or brick.

i dont think ANYONE leaves cmu construction naked these days...
Pffft......Beauty  is in the eye of the Beerholder.       Stack em up and fill those sucka's with the Best compost you can make, those block beds will be the envy of your neighborhood, and damn easy to weedwack around!

Well this got off topic quickly.
Scoville DeVille said:

Thanks Scovie! Without heat issues that means it'll be the cheapest option for me.
jimbo53 said:
I know what you mean about clay soil, same problem down the road in Lake Charles.  Had to do the raised bed route as well.  

I wouldn't think cinder blocks would absorb heat and transfer it to the other side, it would be more radiant heat.  Hot on the side where the sun is hitting it cool on the other side.?

Thanks for the input! Yeah seems louisiana soil is pretty bad all round without some work for most of us. Though windchicken has had good results using the rcw method which I'm now also looking into
PepTalk said:
Pffft......Beauty  is in the eye of the Beerholder.       Stack em up and fill those sucka's with the Best compost you can make, those block beds will be the envy of your neighborhood, and damn easy to weedwack around!
Yeah all the fancy pants covering up stuff doesn't interest me. Just bricks stacked up is all I'm looking at. If it works and is cheaper, I don't care how it looks. Function over form.

Back