• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Using Different Lights

Chiles are day-neutral.......look it up.

Look I am not trying to stir but photo periods (ie day neutral, long day, short day) have nothing to do with colour temps but everything to do with uninterrupted dark periods.
Day neutral yes but that doesn't actually mean they don't benefit from an addition of red spectrum lighting to encourage greater flower production and flower set and all round health.

I know in this instance he is not looking to grow to production under lights so a 6400k colour bulb will be fine and is fine for most peoples vegetative growth and starts.

(ie day neutral, long day, short day) have nothing to do with colour temps but everything to do with uninterrupted dark periods.

Yes more Red in the evening like Fall and its long days, more blue like spring and its shorter days. Or at leas that's how it was explained to me by the cash crop growers.

How True is any of it for peppers? PFFFFFFFF lol Hard to say, but lots of people say what Millwork is saying. I have read that many times here on THP.

The way I see it, mimic nature and mix it up a little. I got big 2700k a few 3000k's, 4 6500k's, and a blueish fish tank bulb that I strapped on all ghetto just for some extra lumens. My guys seem to do well, but I move them out side... so I don't really have a leg to stand on in this thread >.<

Reds in the fall and blue in the spring is right. I'll go further and say longer days are bluer, since summer has longer days... Being day neutral and not needing a night cycle to me says blue is all that is NEEDED for the plant. Does red help? Well yeah, but not necessary.

No not needed except in increasing pod production if that is your goal. They have done studies on other day neutral plants (tomatoes) and an approx 60% red spectrum and 35-40% blue light spectrum produced the best possible crop yields out of all of the combinations trialled.

No not needed except in increasing pod production if that is your goal. They have done studies on other day neutral plants (tomatoes) and an approx 60% red spectrum and 35-40% blue light spectrum produced the best possible crop yields out of all of the combinations trialled.

Right. And I agree. Which is why I said I use 2700k also when going to fruit indoors. Its not needed to have fruit and will not initiate fruit but it does help. We are on the same page here. :)

That is why I use red Tulle for isolation. After do some side by side testing between blue and red I found that just that little bit a reflected light resulted in more pods setting under red Tulle. The trash man took the blue :lol:

Back