• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Using plants as natural insect repellants?

I was talking to my grandmother about my garden. She suggested planting marigolds between the rows to repel insects. She said this is what they did growing up.

I did a little googling and came up with this. So, it seems there is some truth to it.

Has anyone here given this a try?

I grew some tomatos a few years back with French marigolds and I didn't see a single aphid on them all season long, so on that basis I'd say yes.

There is also the use of 'sacrificial' basil to lure aphids away from tomatos and peppers. :)

Oh, and the practice of planting carrots in between rows of garlic and onions to discourage vampires...and carrot fly. ;)

Marigolds work. The only plants I had aphid troubles with last year were my container grown ones. All the ones in the ground, I planted marigolds between them.
The look great and they kept the aphids at bay, so yeah, I'm a fan of them.

I think I will give them a try then. After reading some on the link that I posted, I am going to give Fennel a try as well. I had a bad snail problem last year. The fennel along with some copper mesh or scouring pads should keep them at bay.

Back