• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Vacuum bag fermentation

Siv

Extreme Member
I just watched this Chillichump video:
And then a couple more on vacuum bag fermentation:
https://youtu.be/46_uxveHZ4w

So I went and bought a vacuum bagger! This seems such an easy way to ferment, much more so than messing with airlocks, stirring etc.

Take your peppers, chop roughly, add 2% salt by weight and vacuum bag. Seems like an almost fool proof way of fermenting. I'm wondering why this is not more commonly known? I think it came from the Noma guide to fermentation.

You can do the same kind of ferment with these wide mouth jar covers and they come with the pump. I have been using this style for 3 years, no stirring, seal it and pump the air out. The one way valve in the covers releases pressure as co2 builds and fills the empty space.

28C2655A-2EAE-4053-BE91-548453C7F4F9.png

I have fermented in 1/2 gallon jars for years with no real issues after the initial experimentation and learning along the way.  I do not use plastic in fermentation as I'm not sure the process and resultant acid will not effect the final product in terms of leeching.  To each their own though, and I'm excited to see your results.  Best of luck!  :)

Walchit said:
I would cut the bag with some extra room for expansion. But I also worry about plastic. I know a lot of guys vacuum seal their BBQ and then heat it up in a pot of water. I'm pretty sure they are BPA free, but what chemicals they do have I'm not sure.

Too late.. You've already ingested it!>

In an ongoing study, the CDC has measured BPA in the urine of more than 90% of Americans they have tested, indicating widespread exposure.

Don't fret! You'll die from eating M&M's as a kid anyways.> Red Dye, and others, Cause Cancer.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
My buddy quit feeding his kid dyes and all off his behavioral problems diminished. They put shit in our food and drink that they know causes problems, I would say its on purpose, lets big pharma keep making money to pump even more chemicals into us.

You have to have a high paying job to afford not to eat the shit though. Guess I'm just a broke guinea pig

So a minor update - the bag has loosened up a little but it's not bulging by any means. Since I just started some seeds, I've put it on the heat mat at 75F along side them - maybe it's too cold in the house currently.

Siv said:
So a minor update - the bag has loosened up a little but it's not bulging by any means. Since I just started some seeds, I've put it on the heat mat at 75F along side them - maybe it's too cold in the house currently.
I should move mine to the grow tent where the space heater is on.  

skullbiker said:
You can do the same kind of ferment with these wide mouth jar covers and they come with the pump. I have been using this style for 3 years, no stirring, seal it and pump the air out. The one way valve in the covers releases pressure as co2 builds and fills the empty space.

attachicon.gif
28C2655A-2EAE-4053-BE91-548453C7F4F9.png

So just to be clear, when you use the jars it's just peppers and salt?  No water or brine?  

Back