• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Vacuum bag fermentation

Siv

Extreme Member
I just watched this Chillichump video:
And then a couple more on vacuum bag fermentation:
https://youtu.be/46_uxveHZ4w

So I went and bought a vacuum bagger! This seems such an easy way to ferment, much more so than messing with airlocks, stirring etc.

Take your peppers, chop roughly, add 2% salt by weight and vacuum bag. Seems like an almost fool proof way of fermenting. I'm wondering why this is not more commonly known? I think it came from the Noma guide to fermentation.

Siv said:

Hah! I totally forgot about that ferment. I stuck it in a corner and forgot about it. It didn't puff up at all; here's what it looks like now!

attachicon.gif
IMG_0483.JPG

Should I open it???

Go for it! Doesn’t look like there’s any mold or yeast. 

What% salt did you use?

So glad that this thread was brought back to life. I had totally forgot about this method. All my other ferments have been done in jar with vacuum pump lid.

Well, I had a few mixed red peps in the freezer, harvested the past couple of weeks (aji rojo, Apache, aji limo, Thai, and Spezzano Thai (from BigMike)). Also, some other garden items were ready. Plus, it was raining this morning, so I figured that I should give it a try. So, first bag try for a fermented hot sauce.

Start with a long list of ingredients. Peppers (halved), 1 garlic, 1 golden beet.

Zwelozv.jpg

Deconstruct. Weigh. Add 2% salt.

2jPIcTH.jpg

Bag and seal.

Rf98RND.jpg

While my daughter and I were at it and making a mess, we decided to also do a beet green kimchi. Not as pretty, but worth an experimental try.

Beet greens, garlic, carrot, bonito powder, Korean red pepper powder.

rm3C3Vd.jpg

Now, just gotta sit back n wait, and hope that the bag doesn't pop.
Will report on the results in a couple of weeks.

UnNatural said:

Go for it! Doesn’t look like there’s any mold or yeast. 

What% salt did you use?

I think it was 2.5% salt. I'll open it next weekend when the wife's away so I don't get complaints in case it stinks!

skullbiker said:
About 95% of my use has been to finalize my fermented sauces. I dump it in there, put the cover on, and hit the soup button twice. It heats it to 212° while intermittently giving the contents a little swirl and then the last few minutes it blends at high speed. It is something like a 22 minute cycle. Just lately I have been using the pre-programed pulse cycle to blend up the Mangos.
I hope your back heals up good for you, aching back is the worst.
that's exactly what I bought it for. nice to know it works well for that. I hope to try iy out soon.

it was a little rough on recovery but im happy to say im mostly back on track.  ive just decided no more stupid heavy lifting like I used to do.

fishhead said:
So glad that this thread was brought back to life. I had totally forgot about this method. All my other ferments have been done in jar with vacuum pump lid.

Well, I had a few mixed red peps in the freezer, harvested the past couple of weeks (aji rojo, Apache, aji limo, Thai, and Spezzano Thai (from BigMike)). Also, some other garden items were ready. Plus, it was raining this morning, so I figured that I should give it a try. So, first bag try for a fermented hot sauce.

Start with a long list of ingredients. Peppers (halved), 1 garlic, 1 golden beet.

Zwelozv.jpg

Deconstruct. Weigh. Add 2% salt.

2jPIcTH.jpg

Bag and seal.

Rf98RND.jpg

While my daughter and I were at it and making a mess, we decided to also do a beet green kimchi. Not as pretty, but worth an experimental try.

Beet greens, garlic, carrot, bonito powder, Korean red pepper powder.

rm3C3Vd.jpg

Now, just gotta sit back n wait, and hope that the bag doesn't pop.
Will report on the results in a couple of weeks.
Looking good! Please keep us updated. Planning on doing a bunch like this once this years harvest starts coming in.

Nice knife btw. Nothing beats a sharp nakiri for veg prep!

UnNatural,
Yea, I'll let ya know how it compares to jar/vacuum fermentations. What I do like is the potential of less brine to dilute the heat.  

The nikiri was my first kitchen knife purchase in years.  Pretty much a mid-quality blade for a mid-price.  I love it for veggies.  Kids and wife not allowed, wipe, dry, knifeblock immediately - no banging around in the sink.  It is truly a great knife for thin slicing veggies. Blade is thin and very sharp.  Plus, I look good holding it.  Maybe it is the pretty knife, IDK, I don't care. 

So, I'm running low on hot sauce, so I decided to go ahead and blend up my first bag ferment. It has been 12 days fermenting. Bag was only a bit on the rise, but it looked really good inside.
iD8ec2C.jpg

I opened the bag, sniff test was quite stout but good. I tossed it into a pan, added a little vinegar and brought it up to a simmer.
83335YC.jpg

Tossed into the Ninja with a little more vinegar and a bit of xanthum gum. Cool. Bottle. Ain't it pretty?
EnYRULK.jpg

So, my takehome- really good, simple, easy to measure. My regular ferment uses saltwater in quart jars. I think that the lack of water helped concentrate the heat a bit. I ate with a pork burrito and nachos, and was happily sweating halfway through. Tangy, thick, smooth. I could have spared a little vinegar and made even hotter, but no complaints for my first try. I will definitely be doing this technique again, especially for small batches.

fishhead said:
UnNatural,
Yea, I'll let ya know how it compares to jar/vacuum fermentations. What I do like is the potential of less brine to dilute the heat. 
That's why I almost always do a pepper mash for fermenting. Not a fan of brine fermenting unless absolutely necessary due to dry ingredients.

Every time I come back to reference this, I have to go thru 2 other links.. I suppose I could just click the follow button, now that I think about it. :shocked: 
While I'm here, I've been wondering about that brown sugar in the mash.. Skullbiker. Do you feel sugar is necessary/beneficial, or more just for flavor? I skipped it last time.. Never got to try to the sauces. 

Siv,
Looking great.
None of my heat balloons have made it to the point of me getting puckery yet. But, this has also become my preferred method. Also, my batches have been less volume than yours, so that is probably the reason. Even with your bigger bag, that much mash may push the limits here in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of this myself (initially for fermentation jars) of using something like this (hopefully the link works):

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Return-Check-Colors-Plastic/dp/B07FKJXZ78/ref=pd_lpo_199_t_2/138-3502040-4534415?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07FKJXZ78&pd_rd_r=2b0420a3-ba56-40b8-b880-30bd8fba4939&pd_rd_w=zniz7&pd_rd_wg=Jc9FZ&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=W8TZ6W5QV61P97MPXVRV&psc=1&refRID=W8TZ6W5QV61P97MPXVRV

A little aquarium tube, a valve, and a little packing tape to seal - might reduce the pop factor. May have to be a bit creative to keep the valve at a higher altitude than the bag. Anyway, just a thought.

Interesting idea on the one-way valve but I don't know how I'd get a tube fitted to the bag and sealed properly. For me, it would just be easier to use a jar and airlock. I actually stick to the jar and airlock method for everything other than mash.

Here's my latest. White ghost but I added some liquid from purple sauerkraut so it took on a slightly pink tinge!

50398003107_833239b390_c.jpg

Back