kitchenware Vacuum bags that dry rice doesn't puncture???

I've gone thru two cheap "Heavy Duty" freezer/sealer bags now for the FoodSaver, trying to bag up some dried rice. They seem alright initially, but the seal is obviously failed the next day, due to small pinholes created by the rice, when sealing. Anyone ever bag rice with these and know of a decently priced bag that will get me there? Or should I just be sealing them without vacuum packing them? I'm lost.

Are you saying the FoodSaver ones will do it? I think I have some of those too.. But yes, I bought some amazon ones.

This one.. Not heavy duty rolls. And this one, which came with a few sheets to place over bones, little use in my endeavor. The result has been the same..

I wouldn't trust any amazon off brand stuff. Poorly made, fake reviews. I've even bought counterfeited Ziplocs! These days I stick to name brands for most things, and even if name brand, I research if amazon is selling the real thing. It's always best to buy directly from amazon and not the third-party sellers as there is more assurance in it being legit when a name brand. Anyway yeah, try your Foodsaver brand ones and check. They may be all you need.

I vacuum seal anything like that in jars using the accessory jar sealer. 1/2 gallon jars hold quite a bit of product, but you can use any mason jar and wide or regular mouth.
That's my intended go to as well.. For around the house. I was trying to ship some, pre-portioned, to my sister. And for the trail, I'd rather have something less breakable. I'm definitely with you on glass for long term.. I've learned a couple expensive lessons about plastic.
Double bag it
Good tip.. I did that a while ago and I think I might run with that for now, until I get some better bags.

The double bag does work nicely.. Just looks kinda meh for sending as a gift.

I vacuum seal anything like that in jars using the accessory jar sealer. 1/2 gallon jars hold quite a bit of product, but you can use any mason jar and wide or regular mouth.
Rethinking the whole glass idea.. Considering Pint jars via MFRB. Do you do any shipping of those masons? I've always worried they'd shatter too easy.

The trail rice we made with the Maitake broth and leftover Marinades.. I can't even allow myself to think of the potential they have.
I can't!! It really irked me tossing this stuff out every time, knowing there had to be easier ways to make it shelf stable for a later time. Different kinds of rice for variety.. I'm still learning about rice too, among other things. Some people probably grow up knowing these little tricks, but I didn't.. I want to make sure our children do.

1633550939542.jpeg

Did I ever mention my dad had a catering business at one time? He sure could make good cold sandwiches.. And he wasn't bad at the grill or omelettes either. Mostly he liked cars, and really just wanted to be a mechanic (let him tell it). I learned how to bake potatoes and frozen dinners, as a kid.. But no one really pushed me to learn about the kitchen arts, outside of busting the suds. I did a lot of work in industrial and institutional kitchens for a while, and enjoyed the work, but I was a pretty basic mutt until I fell in love with a Vegetarian.. I attribute most of who I am now to that. The proof is best seen in our cooking, which most in our family won't touch (like we are trying to poison them), and we both love. My sister is an exception, probably because she was adopted by someone else. I sometimes have to wonder at why they would think we would poison them?:think:

Let me amend that reply. I think you can still vacuum seal those with the mason lids but not 100% on it.

I'm confused, is it dry rice, dry rice with dry flavors/spices, or a rice cooked with broth then dehydrated and vac packed?

Thanks, Boss.
What about 'leftover marinades'? You can probably guess what my concern is. I guess if everything is fully dried then vacpac in an oxygen free environment, should be safe.

Fully dried with a silica pack in it. I see this as instant rice, but yeah, not sure on all the safety.

Thanks, Boss.
What about 'leftover marinades'? You can probably guess what my concern is. I guess if everything is fully dried then vacpac in an oxygen free environment, should be safe.
I would guess your concern echoes mine.. Why I wanted to vacuum seal them. Everything is cooked in the InstaPot, then spread out on glass in the oven to dry until it just pops free from the glass, or collapses apart, depending on the rice. Then I crush it up a little to make sure it's fairly individualized again, and put it back in for another couple of hours.. After I'm sure it's already dry.

How would you recommend processing it?

Back