• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Variegated Jalapeno Plant?

I have a question about on of my pepper plants. I have what appears to be a variegated jalapeno pepper plant that came with my other Jalapeno seedlings in a six pack. When it was tiny it looked normal and gradually turned this way. Even the fruits are variegated. At first I thought it may be another kind of pepper plant that got mixed in, maybe a fish pepper, but the fuits and leaves look like Jalapenos, just variegated. The plant is also a bit smaller, but that may be due to being pruned more than the others. What do you guys think?
-Nick

Attachments

• Var Jalapeno 4.jpg
    Var Jalapeno 4.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Var Jalapeno 3.jpg
    Var Jalapeno 3.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Var Jalapeno 1.jpg
    Var Jalapeno 1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Var Jalapeno 2.jpg
    Var Jalapeno 2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 155
That's a good looking plant.  If it's a variegated, there's no guarantee that you can grow it true from seed.  You may want to consider making a few clones.  

I bought the plants from a local small greenhouse. I don't know where they get their seeds from. I have never seen fish peppers for sale there, they have a pretty small selection of peppers.

sirex said:
Yeah. That looks like a fish pepper.
So I've seen the peppers before - but is the actual plant variegated, typically?  I googled it, and it didn't seem like any of the plants that I saw were...
Just curious.

Dont fish peppers start out light and then get darker and striped as they mature? Also the leaves on this plant look different than the pictures of the fish pepper plants I have seen. I have never grown them, just going off of other pictures I have seen. These are starting out dark with light striping. I have included a few more quick pictures I took this morning.
-Nick

Attachments

• pep1.jpg
    pep1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 109
  • pep2.jpg
    pep2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 113
  • pep3.jpg
    pep3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 106
  • pep4.jpg
    pep4.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 120
nfg831 said:
Also the leaves on this plant look different than the pictures of the fish pepper plants I have seen.

I agree, your plant looks a little different to me than the Fish peppers that I have seen. This is one I grew a few years ago:

WrKxTkL.jpg

q1EgkdB.jpg

And here is a photo of the color changes the pods go through, from Wikipedia:

GMozfC2.jpg

My Fish pepper plants often had some white coloration on the branches, stems and calyxes as well, which is something I am not seeing in your photos.

Thought I would post some pictures I took today of the plant. It has not gotten any taller, I think that is due to me topping it early in the season. I dont have much experience with seed saving, so how much longer should I let the pods mature before harvesting for seed saving? Im guessing they need to get a bit more "wrinkly"?
Thanks,
-Nick

Attachments

• var1.jpg
    var1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 117
  • var5.jpg
    var5.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 112
  • var2.jpg
    var2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 104
  • var3.jpg
    var3.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 99
  • var4.jpg
    var4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 105
nfg831 said:
I dont have much experience with seed saving, so how much longer should I let the pods mature before harvesting for seed saving? Im guessing they need to get a bit more "wrinkly"?
Look carefully at your pic below....See that tinge of green on the shoulder  of the fruit?

post-15667-0-32099100-1569519287_thumb.jpg

Note in this pic the shoulder is completely red?

post-15667-0-79614800-1569519300_thumb.jpg

The fruit doesn't need to be wrinkled - it needs to be fully mature. 

Back