• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

various ways to make powders

I'm looking for all the different ways to powder-fy some peppers. I know using a coffee grinder, mortar and pestle...what else works well?

I dry mine in a nesco and then put them in a bullet blender.  I use the small cup adapter not the blender top.  Works great and it has a much stronger motor than most coffee grinders.  This helps when I process a ton of powder at once.

For flakes I just dry them out, put them in a ziplock bag, and then crush with a rolling pin or jar.

MGOLD86 said:
I dry mine in a nesco and then put them in a bullet blender.  I use the small cup adapter not the blender top.  Works great and it has a much stronger motor than most coffee grinders.  This helps when I process a ton of powder at once.

For flakes I just dry them out, put them in a ziplock bag, and then crush with a rolling pin or jar.
how long and what temp do you dry them at?

Lots of posts about this topic ready for the reading.

Basically, anything from a fan to the oven will work for drying.  Higher heat (120F+) will discolor, lower temps (95-105F) will maintain color.  Time totally depends on the chile being dried.  Thick fleshed chiles like jalapenos will take 2-3x longer than thin fleshed chiles like habaneros. 

I dry mine in a convection oven( only takes 30-45 mins @ 195 degrees,  and grind them in an electric coffee bean grinder..

i sun dry mine outside for a day or so then i smoke them in my smoker for a few hours.. (pecan wood) after that i do the coffee grinder.. thats what works for me, since i live in low humidity phoenix.. :)

I have tried  several types of wood for smoking jal. pods into chipote powder.. i like apple or pecan and have tried alder and hickory. I stay away from mesquite because its to overpowering a flavor.

I put mine in a dehydrator at 135 (cut in half), and 6 -10 hours later use a mortar/pestle to make the powder. It may discolor a bit, but the heat and flavor lasts well over 9 months so far! I do it in my garage so the mrs. doesn't complain. The odor keeps the critters out of garage as an added bonus!

Thanks for the info on drying but that is already covered in spades. I am trying to put together a list of devices to turn peppers into powder since I couldn't find a comprehensive list anywhere. I tried a small food processor but the seeds didn't break down.

I bought this about 6 years ago after I burned up about 5 coffee grinders. Well worth the money. I make my own garlic powder, grind my own cumin, and various spice blends and chile powder. When I read that it would grind 5 whole nutmegs, I got my debit card out.

View attachment 7926

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wsg30-commercial-spice-grinder-120v/929WSG30.html?gclid=CJnVm9W-2roCFaQ9Qgoduw4A9A

I have also heard that a mason jar screws onto the standard blender base ring/blades.

View attachment 7927

I take the base from my blender removed from the pitcher and screw it onto a mason jar. No dust cloud and by leaning it sideways as you grind it cycles it up and back through and gets it really fine. I ended up going online and bought a replacement base and blade so it can just be for the powders, and during this time when I am powdering multiple smoked goodies I can grab the other base(from the blender) and get things done faster.

If you are asking about the WARING spice grinder, it powders everything. A couple pulses, and you have pepper flakes (like at a pizza joint). Hold it on and it turns anything into baby powder, seeds, cinnamon sticks, etc. If you think about it, a lot of common spices ARE seeds, like Cumin. It comes with three stainless steel grinding bowls, each with lids. The cover over the top while grinding allows no powder to escape so you don't get that mushroom cloud. I bet this this thing would make sand out of gravel.

I was asking about the blender/mason jar setup. I am thoroughly enthralled by the w Waring but will need to save up maybe for nect year

I dry mine sliced in half, with a cheap Nesco dehydrator.  Then I put them in my Cuisinart and chop them up.  Finally, I put them in the Magic Bullet which powderizes everything very finely.  I do the final step outside.  It is amazing how that fine dust will find you and choke you.

Scoville DeVille said:
I bought this about 6 years ago after I burned up about 5 coffee grinders. Well worth the money. I make my own garlic powder, grind my own cumin, and various spice blends and chile powder. When I read that it would grind 5 whole nutmegs, I got my debit card out.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wsg30-commercial-spice-grinder-120v/929WSG30.html?gclid=CJnVm9W-2roCFaQ9Qgoduw4A9A

I have also heard that a mason jar screws onto the standard blender base ring/blades.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
I also have been going through the coffee grinders. This really looks like a great product, I'll have to look into getting one of these for Christmas. Hmmmm. Good gift for the wife. :shh:

FYI, I went to the website and put one in the cart to see the current price. $110.88 with free shipping.

Dang it! I paid $125 with $10.00 shipping!!! Worth it. Ok now i am sounding like a WARING SG salesperson. :rofl:

Scoville DeVille said:
FYI, I went to the website and put one in the cart to see the current price. $110.88 with free shipping.

Dang it! I paid $125 with $10.00 shipping!!! Worth it. Ok now i am sounding like a WARING SG salesperson. :rofl:
Damn you Scovie! I gotta have one now! It looks like a beastly grinder!

Back