• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Vegetarian korma... with chicken?!

I often make korma as a veggie only side dish, but today I made it with a bit of yard bird as a main dish. Same recipe I always use, I just cut the vegetables in half substituted chicken.

Couple tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 lb chicken, diced
1/2 an onion, diced
1 Tbsp minced ginger root
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large potato, diced
1 cup shredded carrots
1 jalapeno, diced
3 Tbsp ground cashews
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1-1/2 Tbsp curry powder
2 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup peas
1 cup cream

Heat a bit of oil in a pan and brown your chicken. Set aside.

Saute onion until soft then add ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant.

Add jalapeno, carrots, potatoes, tomato sauce, cashews, curry powder and salt. Mix and cook until potatoes are just tender.

Add chicken, bell pepper, peas, cream and simmer for 10 minutes or so.

Stuff face.

IMG_20170220_103515522.jpg

IMG_20170220_104149562.jpg

IMG_20170220_104754108.jpg

IMG_20170220_110133789.jpg

IMG_20170220_110743870.jpg

IMG_20170220_111850357.jpg

Never heard of this dish before....I love Curry and I bet that would be awesome served over some steamed white rice.

Looks great! Always thought chicken was the best meat for korma, the sweet creamy sauce... but no raisins in yours huh?

austin87 said:
Looks great! Raisins though... they don't taste like raisins in something like that but give a nice little pop of sweetness!
Worth a shot. I will add a little next time.

Never heard of raisins in a korma before but then, actually using chilli in one is pretty rare too. People normally focus on the sweet, spiced, creamy richness of the dish but it also takes up the flavour of chilli powders most spectacularly and is pretty good with fresh green chillies cooked in too.

I like mine with ghost pepper powder but I've been wanting to do a chipotle one as an experiment for a while now.

They make it with raisins and almonds here... it's tasty.

That actually makes total sense now because Kashmiri Naan has almonds, raisins, and coconut... that's a delicious bread!

Cauliflower goes killer with this too. Most Indian markets carry a green chili that is kinda mild. Close to jalapeno heat level. They are delicious as pakora too.

I use ghee almost exclusively but i don't use heavy cream. I use fat free half and half instead and it works very well for Indian masalas. The ground cashews are a very nice touch. There are a couple creamy type masalas that just dont taste right without them. The best makhani ive tried has ground cashew in it. IIRC it can vary based on northern or southern versions.

I get shallots fairly cheap so i use them often along with the onion.

Now im hungry for some. :D

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Cauliflower goes killer with this too. Most Indian markets carry a green chili that is kinda mild. Close to jalapeno heat level. They are delicious as pakora too.

I use ghee almost exclusively but i don't use heavy cream. I use fat free half and half instead and it works very well for Indian masalas. The ground cashews are a very nice touch. There are a couple creamy type masalas that just dont taste right without them. The best makhani ive tried has ground cashew in it. IIRC it can vary based on northern or southern versions.

I get shallots fairly cheap so i use them often along with the onion.

Now im hungry for some. :D
Cauliflower would be awesome! We love cauliflower! Must try this.

I wish we an ethnic market. Closest one is probably Denver area (10 hours away). Even Billings doesn't have anything. I stocked up on Thai chilies when I left Ohio (20+ pounds) They have a place in Columbus called Saraga that has everything you'd ever need. I miss them.

Im growing the Thai giant orange this year in hopes it is close enough. The super chili i grew last year is far too hot for a substitute. My drive to a Indian market is not horrible but kinda far when i just need a couple specialty items. Its well worth the drive though when i need shallots and red onions. Nobody comes close to their price and next door is an excellent Indian buffet that has goat on Tuesdays. The same place has the awesome makhani chicken :D

I pulled some thighs out of the freezer. Tomorrow will be chicken tikka masala or rogan josh. Im still undecided but im in the mood for "creamy", I may even bake them just to see how that works out.

Back