• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Vezena Piperka from Macedonia

roper2008 said:

The pic I posted above must be different than your peppers.  Mine were sweet and very hot.  I got my seeds from someone on garden web in 2009.
I meant to say they weren't ancient sweet peppers, they were a bit sweet, like a bell, but the heat i don't think was even habanero level, the seeds of the peppers in the pictures were from cmpman1974, elephant peppers.  I had another variety that I grew as well but they were not nearly as big and those were hotter. I may be in Macedonia this summer, I've been trying to get legit seeds from friends there for a year now. 

Joe, you just made my point.
The reason for my question.

IF English speaking people can miss spell names,add to that language differences and 1 variety becomes 3+ or whatever.
Would be interesting to me to see if the spelling on my packs are misspellings or actual different peppers from different countries or whatever.
Is Feferona the same as Feferoni...?
Just different spelling...

What does Feferoni or feferona mean?

At the same time I have BOTH elephant trunk and elefant pepper seeds.Thaught they were misspellings but I keep seeds labeled as what I got them as,

smokemaster said:
Joe, you just made my point.
The reason for my question.

IF English speaking people can miss spell names,add to that language differences and 1 variety becomes 3+ or whatever.
Would be interesting to me to see if the spelling on my packs are misspellings or actual different peppers from different countries or whatever.
Is Feferona the same as Feferoni...?
Just different spelling...

What does Feferoni or feferona mean?

At the same time I have BOTH elephant trunk and elefant pepper seeds.Thaught they were misspellings but I keep seeds labeled as what I got them as,
yes I can see where the confusion could happen and it probably has as a result of mistranslation and misspelling

it basically means "pepper"   feffer is German for pepper but from what I gather it is a cross reference word in many Euro tongues and even in Turkey, many Turkish cayenne species are also known by this name, I have actually seen "Feferoni" on jars of picked peppers from Turkey

I think the second part of the name of the Vizena Piperka may refers to its use as a Paprika pepper, Vizena might be the region of original origin  (not sure)

thanks your friend Joe
illWill said:
I feel that pain joe.. my mouth loves the burn but my guts hate it, and I'm young, just 24
im 46 and have been eating hot stuff for many years now and it upsets me that I cant do it like I used to I love the stuff!!

interesting.
I think I got one from Europe and another from S.America.
That is why I asked about the name/spelling.
Other than the Baccatuum VS Annuum differences,the seeds I have might not be the same thing as the Annuum.
Generally Baccatums DO NOT get as large as Annuums do.
Pack might be mislabled by who I got them from.
Seems I never grew that pack out successfully.

I think I got the ones labled as Baccatums from a US seed vendor a few years back.

Great to see another NON Super hot pepper post. :)

Last year i sent seeds of Elefant to Chris (cmpman1974).

He was very satisfied but i am still missing his grow and try report! :fireball:

this corking effect includes also the whole jalapeno family but Elefant is not a usual pepper anymore instead it is just cork :rofl:

Nigel said:
Anyone have photos to share of this beauty? How consistent is the corking effect?

Elefant

DSCN5645.jpg

DSCN5644.jpg

9669146436_6b8e79c425_b.jpg

Check your mailbox sometime late next week mate. Worth giving up a garden spot for novelty purposes. Thinner walls than your typical large podded annuum. Have to hit it with a potato peeler to eat it.

ajijoe said:
yes I can see where the confusion could happen and it probably has as a result of mistranslation and misspelling

it basically means "pepper"   feffer is German for pepper but from what I gather it is a cross reference word in many Euro tongues and even in Turkey, many Turkish cayenne species are also known by this name, I have actually seen "Feferoni" on jars of picked peppers from Turkey

I think the second part of the name of the Vizena Piperka may refers to its use as a Paprika pepper, Vizena might be the region of original origin  (not sure)

thanks your friend Joe

im 46 and have been eating hot stuff for many years now and it upsets me that I cant do it like I used to I love the stuff!!

Pretty sure that Vezena also means "sewn" or "stitched". I remember some of them giving a stubborn lingering mouth burn.

Edit: I've also seen Vezena crossed with Feferona, looked like a semi-corked cayenne. And i've seen it crossed with an unknown annuum, those pods were all shorter/squat and partially corked. Come to think of it, it may be a good candidate for creating other hybrids, imagine how evil looking some of the super-hots might turn out :evil:

smokemaster said:
interesting.
Other than the Baccatuum VS Annuum differences,the seeds I have might not be the same thing as the Annuum.

I think I got the ones labled as Baccatums from a US seed vendor a few years back.

I know that Feferona, Feferoni, etc etc is singular vs plural. I think it's the name they gave to their native Cayenne type.

In MK vezena means embroidered, feferona doesn't have a translation its the name of the pepper, and kapija actually roughly translates to something like a front gate, or the door to your front yard…. but that word is a borrowed word from Turkish and I don't know any Turkish…  

smokemaster said:
interesting.

yes interesting but im sure that there not a baccatum species and that prolly is a mistake, yes your right Baccatum dont get that big and i dont know of any that Cork like that except for annums

it would be interesting to grow that pack out fro SA and see what you get

yes it is good to see another super hot post the biggest majority of what i grow isnt and am nopt very fond of most of them

thanks your friend joe

Rawkstah said:
In MK vezena means embroidered, feferona doesn't have a translation its the name of the pepper, and kapija actually roughly translates to something like a front gate, or the door to your front yard…. but that word is a borrowed word from Turkish and I don't know any Turkish…  
thanks wasnt sure many times it can mean where it came from

thanks your friend Joe

Back