• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Vindaloo

Pretty much anything you want. I'm going to give the naga vindaloo a try as soon as my plants start producing

For a proper indian vindaloo you should use kashmiri chillies (dried) and prob about 20 of them, what you've gotta remember is a vindaloo isn't meant to be a melt your face curry.
But you could use any chilli and any amount. If you want traditional indian then fresh pods should be green and red pods should be dried

Actually maybe not, because Vindaloo is supposed to be hot, but Phaal is supposed to be hotter. So use Habeneros or Birds Eye. Then if you wanna get crazy make some Phaal Curry.

Actually maybe not, because Vindaloo is supposed to be hot, but Phaal is supposed to be hotter. So use Habeneros or Birds Eye. Then if you wanna get crazy make some Phaal Curry.

i don't know about the habaneros in a vindaloo. it seems as if the fruity taste would interfere with the overall flavor of the thing... that was my basic motivation behind the question. Vindaloo generally tastes hot, but it is not a fruity habanero sort of hot, it's a sort of acid hot (flavorless hot + tomato acidity?).

Most of the ones I've come across so far have been made with dried red indian chilies. Not sure of the exact strain, but I assume that it is some sort of cayenne. I would imagine the habs would alter the flavor somewhat. I don't personally care for the taste of most habs, but the are a good way to add some heat to the dish. It may be offset by the fact that the dish uses LOTS of garlic and a good dose of vinegar.

Now you got me thinking of vindaloo. I should make some when I get home this weekend.

No, your right. Habs might alter it. I had some vindaloo the other day and it was pretty good. They have mild, medium, hot, and Indian Hot. I went with Indian hot and it made my forehead sweat a little....

I've gotta say that vindaloo has to be one of my favorite indian dishes, anytime I'm ordering an indian I always aim to try a new dish and go through the whole menu but no matter how tasty things sound it always seem to be reading the word vindaloo that get my brain excited!!! I just love it

Back