• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Vinegars...

Name your current go to vinegar for sauces.....

Currently I like to use Rice Wine Vinegar, or White Balsalmic for "special batches".....yeah-too expensive for large batch canning, then its good old white.

Thinkin' about Pear vinegar for white habs though.......

Name your current go to vinegar for sauces.....

Currently I like to use Rice Wine Vinegar, or White Balsalmic for "special batches".....yeah-too expensive for large batch canning, then its good old white.

Thinkin' about Pear vinegar for white habs though.......
I live in apple country here in the NE and have a buddy that makes homemade apple cider vinegar. I think it really depends on the sauce you're making. For my upcoming Boston Massacre BBQ sauce, it's apple cider. For my Asian sauce, rice wine. For my 7th Circle of Hell red sauce, red wine. I'm looking forward to experimenting w/ balsamics.

Cane vinegar for most "Red Caribbean" style sauces

Malt vinegar for the "Calypso" type sauces

Braggs raw apple cider for any of the "smoked serrano, habanero, of chipotle" style sauces

Rice vinegar with any of the above when making fruit based sauces "pinnaple,mango, papaya,..etc."

I use a calibrated ph meter each time I sauce, and I only use enough vinegar to bring the ph down as necessary

I opt more for the acidity from lemons and the large yellow "sweet limes" that are readily available in the Hispanic markets,

Tomorrow I hope to sauce up 36 "woozies" of my "Hot Papaya" recipe.. :)

Cane vinegar for most "Red Caribbean" style sauces

Malt vinegar for the "Calypso" type sauces

Braggs raw apple cider for any of the "smoked serrano, habanero, of chipotle" style sauces

Rice vinegar with any of the above when making fruit based sauces "pinnaple,mango, papaya,..etc."

I use a calibrated ph meter each time I sauce, and I only use enough vinegar to bring the ph down as necessary

I opt more for the acidity from lemons and the large yellow "sweet limes" that are readily available in the Hispanic markets,

Tomorrow I hope to sauce up 36 "woozies" of my "Hot Papaya" recipe.. :)

Muscadine vinegar goes really well with habs--all the fruit-based sauces I make with Chinese peppers. Tastes a lot like balsamic. Blackberry vinegar tastes more like a twangy dry wine but ironically, sweeter than red wine vinegar--use it with Charleston hots for sauce after smoking the C-hots some. My cousin makes wine, so getting vinegars from him is easy. Now, pokeberry wine is questionable because it's really bitter, really high acid content: moving back to mountains of NC--well, foothills has had its advantages. But my cousin is a great wine-maker and keeps me supplied in vinegars. (It IS critical to remove the seed from the pokeberry. As in, one will die if not. So far, I'm kickin.') If necessary, I can pay an exorbitant price for vinegars or get "unusual" stuff from him. He's letting a batch of dandelion wine become vinegar. Actually, from the smell of it, the dandelion might make kick-butt vinegar pie. From one mother can come many years of vinegar.

Man I love a keyboard that sends when I hit the space bar.....

I will use Fresh sqeezed Satsuma juice 4/1 with apple cider "straight pepper sauce" ie; just peppers,salt,juice.....which is just for personal consumption or used for heat in other sauces.Now I'm curious if that acidic enough to have any shelf life unrefridgerated.I get blank stares around here when I ask for litmus paper strips, or test strips.

Malt vinegar....never occurred to me..interesting.

Balsamic glaze...is on the experiment list for a Black Naga sauce

Back