• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Volunteers!

Mister_Al,

Isn't it crazy that plants should do so well without human interaction...? :lol:

It's my first time growing chillies and it has been a total disaster! These few volunteers have given me a much needed reminder... everything else I've grown in the past, I pretty much just planted and let it do it's thing. I've never had any of the problems I am having growing chillies!

JayT said:
You better wait and see if anything grows first. This method is very unproven. :lol:

Well, there's only one way to find out... :lol:

Things couldn't possibly go any worse than they have this season!

Yeah god's natural selection can be wonderful. One of the ladies I work with has a crop of pumpkins every year that is from them not getting them all out of the corn field before combining. I guess being squashed under giant tires and left for dead is a good way to start next years crops. LOL

gasificada said:
Mister_Al,

Isn't it crazy that plants should do so well without human interaction...? :lol:

It's my first time growing chillies and it has been a total disaster! These few volunteers have given me a much needed reminder... everything else I've grown in the past, I pretty much just planted and let it do it's thing. I've never had any of the problems I am having growing chillies!

In the wild, birds (or other animals) eat the peppers and the seeds travel through their digestive track and are then excreted onto the ground in a lump of feces. Then they just lay there as the stuff decomposes around them during the cold weather months until the weather finally changes and the soil warms enough for the seed to sprout. Eventually it rains and the seed, which has been lying in a pile of poop for months, gets enough water to sprout and from there on out it just grows on its own despite the droughts, floods, insects, or other natural foes, and produces pods that are eaten by birds (or other animals) and the cycle repeats itself again, then again, and again.

Yet people, in all our wisdom, take pepper seeds and pre soak them to help them germinate, then plant them in a sterile, soilless mixture to cut down on disease, use heat mats, artificial lighting, and fans to simulate natural environmental conditions. We overwater/underwater our newly sprouted seeds and use a variety of chemicals, or natural substances, to prevent dampning off and/or other various maladies that we bring on them through our "helping them to grow" techniques. Then after six or eight weeks we "harden" them so they can get used to being in the sunlight before setting them out in a garden that has been especially prepared using only the best organic fertilizers, lime, compost, and mulch to give them what they need for optimal growth.

I wonder sometimes if we wouldn't do just as well to eat the pepper whole and, later, just go out and crap in the garden.

Alan

Mister_Al said:
In the wild, birds (or other animals) eat the peppers and the seeds travel through their digestive track and are then excreted onto the ground in a lump of feces. Then they just lay there as the stuff decomposes around them during the cold weather months until the weather finally changes and the soil warms enough for the seed to sprout. Eventually it rains and the seed, which has been lying in a pile of poop for months, gets enough water to sprout and from there on out it just grows on its own despite the droughts, floods, insects, or other natural foes, and produces pods that are eaten by birds (or other animals) and the cycle repeats itself again, then again, and again.

Yet people, in all our wisdom, take pepper seeds and pre soak them to help them germinate, then plant them in a sterile, soilless mixture to cut down on disease, use heat mats, artificial lighting, and fans to simulate natural environmental conditions. We overwater/underwater our newly sprouted seeds and use a variety of chemicals, or natural substances, to prevent dampning off and/or other various maladies that we bring on them through our "helping them to grow" techniques. Then after six or eight weeks we "harden" them so they can get used to being it the sunlight before setting them out in a garden that has been especially prepared using only the best organic fertilizers, lime, compost, and mulch to give them what they need for optimal growth.

I wonder sometimes if we wouldn't do just as well to eat the pepper whole and, later, just go out and crap in the garden.

Alan

That there's an idea!:rofl:

jacob

Mister_Al said:
Yet people, in all our wisdom, take pepper seeds and pre soak them to help them germinate, then plant them in a sterile, soilless mixture to cut down on disease, use heat mats, artificial lighting, and fans to simulate natural environmental conditions. We overwater/underwater our newly sprouted seeds and use a variety of chemicals, or natural substances, to prevent dampning off and/or other various maladies that we bring on them through our "helping them to grow" techniques. Then after six or eight weeks we "harden" them so they can get used to being it the sunlight before setting them out in a garden that has been especially prepared using only the best organic fertilizers, lime, compost, and mulch to give them what they need for optimal growth.

Alan

I often think about that as well. it's like we create problems to fix rather than just planting the damn things. It kind of reminds me of the invention of the Segway....someone just had to find a more complicated way to just step forward and walk.

Back