• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! African Throwdown

Which is your favorite?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Vote for your favorite!

Read all the descriptions for the spices used etc.

Had to go with what I'd order before anything else. I'd like to have the kebabs(great effort and correct) as a starter, but I had to have the West African Chicken Curry by MJD.It's a shame there was no lobster, no guinea fowl from Moz and C'ote D'Ivoire , no deer dishes and South Africa and not many Goat dishes form Ghana, or Nigeria. I wish someone had tried piri- piri chicken or chicken livers piri-piri.. Nice to see the Cape Town entry.They were all great and complex, well done, I hope we'll have a part dieux one- day.The Island foods of the Mauritius, Cape Verde, Madagascar missed the influences of the French and Portuguese influences. No fish right? No Talapia, no Spanish mackerels, no dourado steaks, tiger prawns, calamari, octopus. The best calamari, seafood in the World is in Mozambique- in my opinion. Just some thoughts.If you look up Xai Xai- a chilli that Smokemaster kindly provided, or Vilanculous, you'll see why I love Africa so much.Catch your own lobsters and the fishing is one of the best secrets in the World.Go Tiger fishing on the Zambesi, do a Safari and get ot he beach in the same day, if you are fast. I also love the war-torn regions too. The people amazed me with there sprit, humour and what they can do with one or two key spices.

Had to cough up my vote early. I loved the bunny chow...the piri piri...and the lamb stew, although not the most visually appealing dish, had WIN written into the ingredients and method.

But Sum's dish was the first to get me reaching for a notepad...so SoB get's my vote.

I had to go with Ela's dish. The array of spices in the Berbere and the Niter Kibbeh did it for me...and those Ethiopian pancake-like things (Injera) look like they'd be a tasty way to mop up all that good flavor. Well done Ela!!!

EVERYONE KILLED IT. For reals.

Looking again, MGold's dish with the cous cous, bread and oxtail would be my 2nd course with all the other dishes to follow.

Was spot on and well researched.I'm just a greedy lad and have a biased for Curry- sorry SoB. I'm a Bearist.

No worries.

This was a fun TD... and SoFlo figured out a new way to do awesome boneless chicken thighs. The peanut based rub basically fries in the chicken fat while it's cooking. Gave it great flavor AND texture. Our eyes were opened on this throwdown... some REALLY good stuff.

And the next picnic I'm invited to, bet on me bringing some Nigerian salad. Great stuff!

I had a real hard time, I was craving one of the peanuty coconuty dishes, and there were a few. I kept reading, and one wasn't popping out. They all looked good. The one with lamb, okay, I discounted because I can't picture lamb with peanut butter. But the chicken ones had me. MJ was close, but it was chicken curry with chicken on top. Both looked good but that confused me a bit... that, and Sum's... all it needed was a sauce and CLICK.

Ela, with the Ethiopian national dish, with homemade injera, done to perfection. If I was voting on authenticity, CLICK.

But damn, still stumped. UNTIL I reread MGOLD86's! He COAXED those flavors out. Look at his process. Made his own bread, with meat, veg, and jalapenos in the wrap. And I know that caraway popped! And, ummm BACON! Dig.

You got mine bro. And I don't even like quinoa. That's how much the main dish stood out.

And to everyone else, you really nailed the challenge. Kudos!

Sum, talk about save the best for last! I love it. Looks amazing and so delicious. I'm going to have to make it. Everyone else did an amazing job as well but this one took the cake for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back