• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Chinese Throwdown - BEST OVERALL!

Who made the best Chinese entry?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Chinese hot and sour soup also. I top mine with toasted sesame oil just before serving. My favorite is pork and shrimp in the H&S soup. Re hydrated tree ear mushrooms are a must IMO. Trim out the stem area because you probably wont ever get it tender.

Swanson was selling a hot and sour soup base that was not too bad. I found it needed to be thinned with equal parts of their no salt added chicken stock. It was way too salty and a little too sour.

Duck noodles made with roast duck is pretty authentic and you are correct. Getting the broth right is harder than it appears. The broth in Asia noodle soup should always be the star of the show. Good Pho for example is pretty amazing and bad Pho stock is like drinking dish water. I have yet to master Pho Bo but im getting better at it. A pressure cooker can save you a ton of time but its still tricky.

I picked up some millet and rice ramen noodles yesterday. I cant wait to try them out. No seasoning packet just 12 noodle portions. ZERO salt added. Yeah, i know i sound like a broken record when it comes to sodium but im a big boy and very capable of salting my food myself.

Ingredients
Organic Brown Rice Flour, Organic Millet, Organic White Rice Flour
3c780dd30bfccf2ef380ea96add04ed3_f116.jpg

lot-602035.gif

Thegreenchilemonster said:
My wife used a pressure cooker when she makes pho. It cuts the cooking time in half. She also uses ox tail as the base for the stock. It comes out really good.

I use oxtails too, but haven't busted out the pressure cooker for it yet.  I dig that it's an all day 'smell up the house good' kind of dish.  :)

D3monic said:
Speaking of ramen i've been wanting to try making  some from scratch. The first attempt  at ramen was ok but want homemade noodles. 

what type of ramen? Chinese ramen uses a lot of egg noodles, I really like the "fresh" ones if you can ever find it at asian stores. It's pretty decent. Japanese ramen uses alkaline noodles which are really good too and easy to make from scratch. I can give you a recipe if you'd like

Grant, I was thoroughly unimpressed with Forbidden Rice. Not sure if it was a brand thing or just the rice itself, but I'd have to describe it more as a total turn-off. No, not a BP-type of revulsion, just a turn-off. It's been at least a couple years since I tried it, so I definitely don't remember anything about a brand or packaging, just the color and what made me think of sour milk type of flavor. So I am curious to know your impression of the flavor.

I have to admit, though, that I am a total Texmati Basmati (white) rice fan. Who can resist rice that both smells much like popcorn while it cooks and that truly tastes good all on its own? Most rice is just a vehicle for other flavors - almost like cardboard. But I've been loving Texmati long time. Admittedly, though, I don't eat it very often since I shy away from starches in my diet. I could get totally fat just on Texmati if I let myself. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back