• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Chinese Throwdown - BEST OVERALL!

Who made the best Chinese entry?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I full agree that Basmati is the ultimate rice, and we like the Texmati as well, and we also avoid rice for the same reasons =) ...

Full parity over here.

In this case it was only a matter of having Googled to see what American take-out places use for rice ...

The Mongolian Beef didn't leave much room to depart from norms, I'm afraid ...

I consider going alt-noodle at first, but decided later that I don't really like sauces which tend towards being a little bit sweet as much with noodles as with rice ...

tctenten implored me not to use the purple rice, LOL ...

Forbidden rice is often used in deserts. I have some very good black rice but i seldom eat it. I like red rice better but its still way down my list.

Basmati goes great with Indian food and its VERY low on the glysemic index. Brown basmati and parboiled are even lower. I only keep a small amount of Texmati on hand. Not really a huge fan of it.

Jasmine to me is more versatile than basmati but its high on the glysemic index. It also makes a tasty rice wine. Turns out very fruity. The smell of jasmine is just fantastic. Great texture for those that like a less sticky rice. Makes a superb fried rice.

Medium grain rice is the corner stone of Chinese cuisine. To me its just starch and pretty ho hum. Some of the American grown med/short grain crosses are really good though such as CalRose. I get either Botan or Kukuho Rose (pink label) when its on sale.

Short grain and short grain hybrids are at the heart of Korean and Japanese cuisine. I would not use anything else for nigiri, sashmi or sushi rolls. Good Koshihikari is a absolutely delicious rice and the number 1 seller in Japan. Hitomebore, AkitaOtome and Akitakomachi are also top shelf Japanese short grain varieties. Ive had all of them many times. Akita Otome is the least sticky of the bunch. Rinse it till the water runs clear if you want less sticky.

Look for these at the Asian market if you want to try top shelf USA grown short grain. http://products.wismettacusa.com/categories/rice/
Getting Japanese grown Koshihikari is next to impossible in the USA unless you want to pay over $100 for a small bag.

If you want to try something unusual try sprouted brown rice called Genmai. It might be the "healthiest" rice you have ever eaten. This one is very good. https://www.amazon.com/Koshihikari-Premium-Sprouted-2-2-Pound-Pouches/dp/B003ZXCE7G

Im far less picky about my noodles but a couple do standout. Not really the best for what we think of as ramen or ramyun. Large parts of Northern China and large parts of Korean use wheat noodles. They work great for things like Korean Jamppong. They are larger and more chewy than many others. Most Asian markets have them frozen. They are somewhat similar to Japanese Udon noodles.

I get this one because they are a real PITA to make from scratch.
jja-jjang-myun-noodles-744764.jpg

Over today get your vote in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back