• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Vote! Hometown Hot Dog Throwdown

Which is the best hometown hot dog?

• Deathtosnails - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5oclocksomewhere - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwd

• salsalady - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown/pag

• Justaguy - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown/page

• JoeyK - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown/page__v

• Nick - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20889-begin-hometown-hot-dogs-throwdown/page__vi

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah was a hard choice this time. I went with double corkscrew too. Though Relleno Dog was a close second.

Dr Pepper Cowboy spicynistness wit crazy heat Habanarro WINS!!! I wonder if cavemen steemed their buns or cooked them o the fire!??

POTAWIE has 2 on the bun, that 5 votes each. It's a 3 way tie!!!!

Looked through this thread for a second time tonight. Really wish some of those pictures were in focus! Probably would sway more votes.

Still not sure who I'm voting for... there are a lot of GREAT entries.

I have to defer to voting Tuesday afternoon.

Potawie gets my vote as well. That man sure can make some stuffed meat products. Nice job by all. Thanks for the love on the floating hab DTS!

This was a tough one. All very creative entries to be sure! But the creativity (in my own opinion) seems to get lost in the photographs sometimes. Some of you had sure-fire winners....but the plating wasn't executed well or the photos were blurred or appeared to be rushed. I think DTS would agree when I say that the majority of what you're selling here are the photos!

*You can see how well that's working for ME......right?* :rofl:

Pushing all that aside.....and looking and re-looking....I narrowed it down to 2

Sum....and geeme.

Sum, see above. Those photos were awesome! The colors were vibrant, they were in perfect focus, and you thought out your shots. I mean, it's a slice of hot dog.....but you NAILED the pics!

Geeme, your entry was well thought out.....and I loved the concept. You probably took a good bit of time prepping and cooking. But, your photos missed the target. I think you'd be winning this had you taken a bit more time "selling" the piccys. Then again....just my opinion. :cool:

In the end, sadly I have only one vote. And this time it's going to..................

geeme.

Guys.....it's a hot dog......ON FIRE.........what the hell can compete with that? :clap:

Totally agree Paul. Geeme is certainly getting better with the food shooting, if memory serves me correct... and trying to in-focus stop-motion unpredictable movement is very tough without shooting in burst mode. That river of fire running down a hot dog could have been better, but tough to do.

After reading everything, banter and all, three times, I came up with 5 that I really liked. POTAWIE was definitely one of them, but I gotta throw some props to Geeme on this one,too.

I think she picked the right flavors, had a decent story about hometown connection with an over-the-top idea. Maybe it wasn't a hometown dog that you can order off a menu at the local diner... but it should be.

Geeme gets my vote.

First I want to say thanks to S.S.Tupperware for the vote. As PRF said this was some very tough competition and to get just one vote is awesome and makes it worth the time. Like Sum I had to keep going back and looking at all the entries in the end I liked how geeme took an element of Cleveland history, would have loved to heard more about the burning of the Cuyahoga, and turned it into a dog while also incorporating elements of the city’s ethnic diversity. Now we’ve all burned a dog or two in our time but she brought a whole new level to burning a dog. Oh and loved the Burning River Beer to go with it too.

Now the only question is whether to take a bite out of that dog while it was a flame or wait till it goes out?
:onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

I am going to have to put more effort in next time. Was just going for laughs, but I see this is some serious chit.

logchief I forgot to tell you those are Craftman so no worries if a drunk tries to chew one off. :rofl:

logchief I forgot to tell you those are Craftman so no worries if a drunk tries to chew one off. :rofl:

Can't beat a Craftsman, screw the broken teeth.

This was a great TD, wish I'd had time to play, but wouldn't have stood a chance. But I did get the pepper plants potted up.

As everybody has said so many scrumdidlyumous doggies, but a las only one vote.

My absoulte favorite is good NuMex chiles, and a good rellano so I guess it goes without saying where my vote went.

Congratulations to everybody, was very entertaining as always.

P2K, Sum, and RocketMan, you guys are too kind - thanks! Paul - agreed. I ended up sans more pics in part because I kept getting stuff all over my hands and didn't want to miss the deadline. It would be good to have someone here to help out with the pics.

And RocketMan..... guess I should have posted "Don't try this at home!" .... just for you! LOL
The Cuyahoga River has caught fire at least 13 times, with the first known one in 1868. Its burning in 1969 got environmentalists' attention due to a Time magazine article about it, which in turn initiated the Clean Water Act and the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency. The river has been cleaned up quite a bit since then, but it still faces challenges which continue to be addressed.

I am going to have to put more effort in next time. Was just going for laughs, but I see this is some serious chit.

While as I said before, Potawie got my vote, I LOVED the wrenches in the dogs! That creativity will get you a crown soon enough!

Hey guys this is closer than you think. Take a look, and get in here and vote!

MWCH is creeping up.

....what a great throwdown.
And to think....it seemed at the time to be a throw-away idea. :cool:

No kidding. And now it looks like it's time to start the kick into the finish line. Any way to put a count down clock on the main page to remind people they need to get in here and vote?

My approach was first to look for those who seemed to represent their chosen area well; did you relate the dog to the area well? Then came the hard part: I don't really care for hotdogs, but which would I be most inclined to eat if that was the only thing served? A few notables:

PRF - Loved the idea of the oysters, but since I'm not a blue cheese fan, this wasn't on the top of my list. However, I'm intrigued enough to try this with a different kind of cheese in the near future.

DTS - Though I'm not a huge starch eater, I wanted to try that chile bread!

SumBits - Tres chic!

zdecker - You would have won my vote, except the very first pic had piperaceae on it. The colors were great, and you managed to marry two parts of my own heritage together with the Skyline/TexMex sort of combo. (Grew up going to Skyline every time we visited Cincy.)

At the end, though, how could I resist that tribute to the staple of Texas childhood - the Frisco Frito Pie Dog? Yummers, TB!

This was the first time I looked at and understood what the TD was. I like it :D

When will the topic for the next one be decided?

This was the first time I looked at and understood what the TD was. I like it :D

When will the topic for the next one be decided?
Welcome to TDs. LOL.

Do it next month. You'll see a discussion topic soon.

Hey folks MWCH is 4 behind POTAWIE with a little over an hour to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back