• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! New Year New Food Throwdown

Who did the best challenging themselves with a new dish, and pulled it off... the best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so AWESOME zdecker!!!!

Scovie and I argued, for about an hour, whether we've ever seen circle wrappers at Hank's before. I think I lost!  :rofl:

Gotta try your recipe, but have a few q's about how to cook 'em up right, like you did. PM to follow!!! :D Great Job zd!!!!

I'm in the same boat as a few of you in that there aren't too many dishes I haven't tried to make before. I've never pit-roasted food wrapped in leaves before, but I had to improvise since the ground outside is frozen. I've never cooked with plantains before either, and now that I've tried it I'll be doing it again. Ripe plantains have a mild sweetness and silky texture that go well with savory dishes.

Everything looked well-prepared, and I wouldn't hesitate to get down with any of them, though I'm not convinced that Philly cheese steak with marinated meat actually meets the requirements of this TD, I guess it's the Boss' call there. I was most impressed with zdecker's  potstickers. They look simple, but are actually not easy to get to come out right.

stickman said:

True that... even if my photography skillz aren't up to showing it, I try to do the best I can with the dishes I make, and I really liked this one. ;)
I hear ya brother I try my best also. Every day everything I do. Only way to live. :cheers: This afternoon im going to do my best with this bottle of whiskey I have.

In the end, every meal I make is for me to enjoy or the wife and I. I am sure most of us are exactly the same in that respect. Cook what you like and think you would like and enjoy it!

Still a tie? You have 2 1/2 hours let's go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I thought once you did that you could not vote no?

Ummm that's if you click Vote lol.

"Cook a "known" dish you have NEVER cooked before. Anything goes! This is your chance to try to cook some of those dishes you have seen on the forum and drooled over. Like puerco pibil, beef rendang, mole, jerk, gumbo, but have never cooked before! Be honest! This is a new year, try new things. Take the challenge!"

"Who did the best challenging themselves with a new dish, and pulled it off... the best?"

Having spent a month a few years back making African dishes in a tagine that I'd bought on a whim, I can't let this TD pass without a little praise for geeme's entry ...

African spice combinations were a little bit "out there" for us, here, and I can't help but comment that geeme took the instructions head on ...

I discounted my own effort (see DC thread), and I feel similarly about sicman and TB's ... where I think we "made things we hadn't made before," but I'm not sure sliders, coconut shrimp, or hot sub are TD winners, or that I want them to be TD winners in all honesty, *PERSONALLY* ... YMMV.

Having only noticed zdecker stuff in the steak thread before, I can see how making gyoza is probably taking the challenge to <3, so kudos ... but again, I'm not sure I want to live in a world where gyoza wins a TD unless it's an appetizer TD ... and they are quite literally one of my favorite things on earth ... I mean:

IMG_8480.JPG

This TD is a little weird for me, and I'm glad my grub isn't even involved, so that I can criticize the voting without bias ...

Thankfully, the crowd is fixing what the early voting was getting wrong.

In my view of TD's the way I'd like them to be, Tinnie can and should win ... and the crowd very well may make that happen.

GM...

I say this all in good fun, but have you ever been accused of overthinking things? ;)   If I had your brain I think I would be locked up somewhere :dance:

zdecker said:
GM...

I say this all in good fun, but have you ever been accused of overthinking things? ;)   If I had your brain I think I would be locked up somewhere :dance:

I like when people put a lot of thought into the vote and breakdown of the challenge etc. Oh I see. He called yours an app. You mad! :lol:

j/k

Im glad you discounted my effort :rofl: sorry it wasnt up to your par.

:rolleyes:

you dont even know you voted for. Vote for one and then get votes for someone else,you confused brother.

The Hot Pepper said:

I like when people put a lot of thought into the vote and breakdown of the challenge etc. Oh I see. He called yours an app. You mad! :lol:

j/k

Lol, well actually it was the fact that GM couldn't live in a world where an app won a TD  :)

Next time I'm going to Sous Vide them over a Vortex, onto the Kamado, into pickling jars, and finish them off in the oven. :)

There's room for everyone to experience THP the way they prefer in my sphere ...

Especially since I can't even see them anymore, because I use Tapatalk primarily, the crowns are totally meaningless in my experiencing the forum on a day in, day out basis ...

Actually, I'll just take this opportunity to drop more unpopular opinion of mine while I'm basking in the limelight of my popularity ...

I think crowns should have lifespan and drop off after a while ... but that's just me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back