• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Oktoberfest: BYOB Throwdown

Whose is best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashen said:
great stuff this TD, wish I had the time to get in on this one. Husker and keybrdkid stood out for me, and it was the stoneground mustard in the cheese dip picture that tipped the scales. 

Thanks Ashen.  I took some time in the condiment aisle picking my mustard.  I wanted to see some mustard seeds in the final cheese dip.

All looked GREAT! Sorry I missed this one, but in retrospect, I would have been far outmatched by all involved. In the end it came down to two.... then on a coin flip and a rumble of the stomach, I had to go with lucilanga's beautiful bread bowl full-o-chow. MAN that made me hungry! Great job, all!

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah okay geeme so I guess all this great stuff that is not bread that was made was for nothing. :lol:
I'm asking the OP if there is meat stewed in it or only put on top so I can judge if I think I'd like it, I'm allowed to ask. I could vote either way but wanna know.
It's only fair to fully understand each dish.

Now you know what it's like on our side much of the time!  :D

Scovie, I always call a zoo "ooz", for similar reasons. My mom is left-handed and took a little too much to heart when an early teacher said she'd have to do everything backwards because she was left-handed. The teacher thought she was dumb and couldn't read, but my grandma finally figured out that she was trying to read everything backwards, just like the teacher told her to do! "Ooz" was the tip-off.

geeme you are the queen of passive aggressive so hush!! 

Me... I was really trying to understand it.

I'll assume the entry is a deconstructed stew, grab and eat. I get it! I just wanted clarification. I didn't know if that meat was in the stew and that was to show you what's in there.

Now, I need to vote! Wow, these are great. Undecided is a good thing. And the votes show it!

Browser behavior can be funky on those sometimes. Just scroll up. ;)

Okay I had a good look and...

SCOVIE!!!

Besides the perfect golden brown pocket, the orchestration of taste sensations did it for me. Sweet, sour, savory. The touch of sweetness in the bread; there's a reason burger buns are a little sweet. The sour kraut. The savory and spicy meat filling. And cheeeeeeese! A very dimensional experience that hits in layers and is perfectly executed. Maybe the hamburger really is from Hamburg... this cheeseburger hot pocket rules! Please elaborate on this family recipe, how long it's been passed down, and what you added (roasted poblanos, of course). Excellent work, my friend!
Special shoutout to all the entrants! This was one of the best yet! Fantastic entries!

Keep Voting!

Geez, Thanks Boss! A lot of good compliments in there.

Actually, there's not much too elaborate on except that they were CJ's Grandma's recipe. She was a Norwegian from Mitchell South Dakota and Kraut Burgers are very popular in the Midwest. Tho, they may be called all different sorts of names. Anyway, in my very early days with CJ, Helen, (her G-mama) loved it when I helped her in the kitchen, mashing potatoes, kneading dough, pulling hot heavy dishes from the stove, lifting heavy pots of water etc. One time she asked me to help her to make Kraut Burgers. Kind of a badge of honor in her family. 

To make a long story short(er), the recipe came from CJ's Mom's side of the family. The recipe has now been handed down and the only things we did different from the way she made them for 70+ years was the Scotch Bonnet powder, Ann's Ghost Fire Sauce and the Poblanos. The cheese was different too, she liked Cheddar or Swiss. She even put Tiny Bananas on half of them.

The sweet dough is something special. CJ's Mom used frozen pre-made dough once and that almost got her dis-owned.

Here is a little nugget... CJ's Grandpa Frank, played the drums for Lawrence Welk before he came out west. Helen made these Kraut Burgers often for "the band". True story.

That's how you should start every song at your all shows Patron...

"A one, anda two, anda..."

Then launch 'Mariana Trench'.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

On second thought. No. Don't do that. hahahahahahahaha

We've got a nice battle here!

aw, man~  all the side stories goin on here with Lawrence Welk and The Band.....  

All I can say is..."Luci~~~~ you got some 'splainin' to do..." 

Actually, no 'splainin'...just good looking grubs!  

as always,  I'd chow down on any of 'em!    :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back