• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! P. Dreadie's Memorial Caribbean Throwdown

Entree

• Rymerpt - [url=http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60249-begin-p-dreadies-memorial-caribbean-throwdown/pag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tinnie - [url=http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60249-begin-p-dreadies-memorial-caribbean-throwdown/page

• dragonsfire - [url=http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60249-begin-p-dreadies-memorial-caribbean-throwdown

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My fav items were FD's fritters, hot stuff's steak, D3's pork, and especially JHP's chicken (ohhhh that skin) ...

Seriously, I have not made chicken skin like that ... well, ever.

But, taken as a whole plate, it came down to TGCM, SL, SoS, and Tinnie ...

I ended up going with TGCM, and I found D3's dessert positively crown-worthy ...

SoS is going to get a crown one of these times ... just a numbers game ... two in a row in my final set ;) ...

I kind of liked Ozzy's, too, but I really wanted to sit down to TGCM's plate ... and that's how I voted tonight ...

D3monic said:
Also want to give a special shout out to ozzy for turning something that looks this awesome

672C465D-6EAB-4A5E-9ADA-F72253279B83.jpg

into something even more awesome. That mojo sauce had a nice color to it as well. 

DSC_0914.jpg
Thanks D :)

Yours was great too. The competition was so stiff in this one.i could have easily voted for any of the entrees. SL's sounded great and looked beautiful too.
Your donuts looked amazing! Fat kid wet dream.

D3monic said:
Also want to give a special shout out to ozzy for turning something that looks this awesome

into something even more awesome. That mojo sauce had a nice color to it as well. 

DSC_0914.jpg

That picture made it very, very, very close. If this system would have let me split my vote, I would have. That's how close it was. 

But since it wouldn't I went with SL for the overall meal. It was an amazing array of flavors and the variety was the spice of life. ;)
hogleg said:
Big Ups to Papa Dreadie!!! An all Dem in celebration of his THP legacy!! Dis is TD history, THROWDOWN MASSIVE!!!! Mad Respect!!! All dem entries grab anuder gear. Dem all topshelf chalice passer inna di yard. Only di highgrade fer true, nuff respect.

I believe you meant "TRODOWN" mon. 
;)

Dang. I know there can be only one but this was difficult. You all did amazing dishes and held true to the region. In the end I had to go with JHP. Good job Joyner! The weird part was, it was the peas and rice that put me over the top. I would eat a gallon of that for dinner by itself. The chicken looks perfectly done and dang tasty!

D3 all the way with the candied peppers. Whoa dad!

Good job everyone, you all made it harder than usual for me. LOL

Scoville DeVille said:
Dang. I know there can be only one but this was difficult. You all did amazing dishes and held true to the region. In the end I had to go with JHP. Good job Joyner! The weird part was, it was the peas and rice that put me over the top. I would eat a gallon of that for dinner by itself. The chicken looks perfectly done and dang tasty!

D3 all the way with the candied peppers. Whoa dad!

Good job everyone, you all made it harder than usual for me. LOL
Thanks SD, make that peas and rive, you will not be disappointed! If you really want to put it over the top, make your own chicken stock from a roasted chicken and you can eat the peas and rice until you fall out. 

I so wanted to participate but life and family got in the way.

Such great entrees!

Had to go with Salsalady. Perfect! But Joyners chicken may be the most beautiful one I've ever seen.

For desert I love flan so that was easy for me

For the record, I had a plan. Jamaican beef patties and red snapper coconut curry with cilantro rice and a dark and stormy (or two). No one did anything similar. Damn!

But, lucky me instead I got to deal with the parental "This is where everything is if we both suddenly die" 3 hours and a sister in law with emergency gall bladder surgery. Guess what I would have rather been doing.

Great job all!

grantmichaels said:
My fav items were FD's fritters, hot stuff's steak, D3's pork, and especially JHP's chicken (ohhhh that skin) ...

Seriously, I have not made chicken skin like that ... well, ever.

But, taken as a whole plate, it came down to TGCM, SL, SoS, and Tinnie ...

I ended up going with TGCM, and I found D3's dessert positively crown-worthy ...

SoS is going to get a crown one of these times ... just a numbers game ... two in a row in my final set ;) ...

I kind of liked Ozzy's, too, but I really wanted to sit down to TGCM's plate ... and that's how I voted tonight ...
Appreciate that man, this has been the first time i have ever tried to do stuff like this with cooking. It is fun. I do need to pay more attention to the rules obviously, but will hopefully get the hang of these things. Hey two for two in your final set, I will take it!! I have seen a lot of the stuff you have done which has looked fantastic.

Kudos to Rymerpt for busting out an amazing dessert using what was in the house and almost giving up when told cherry pie was not Caribbean lol... he used his noggin and dessert doubles sound really good to me...

All the desserts look/sound great imo.

everything looked great :clap: fantastic job everyone   

those bacon wrapped scallops though :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:  and that Mango salsa looked so beautiful and delicious

Salsalady and D3monic got my vote

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mango

:drooling:

I'm soooo hungry now   :)

:cheers:

The Hot Pepper said:
Kudos to Rymerpt for busing out an amazing dessert using what was in the house and almost giving up when told cherry pie was not Caribbean lol... he used his noggin and dessert doubles sound really good to me...

All the desserts look/sound great imo.

That was a close race for me, too. No matter how full I am, when my wife and I go out for Mexican, I always get flan. One of my favorite desserts, and Ozzy's looked on par with the best I've ever had or made. And mangos, too?  :drooling: !
     Ryme's dessert would've tasted just fantastic, I bet. I can vouch for the flavor combination of Jay's peach ghost scorpion and cherries. I make a pepper jelly with those two as star ingredients and it is killer. Great pairing! I can only imagine how good that would've tasted on those savory doubles he made. Again,  :drooling: !!!
     But that shot of D3's mango glazed bunelos with the candied pepper on top made my heart stop for a second. Just perfect execution. I tried to download it to make it my new computer wallpaper. True story. 

Super impressed with all these entries.  Voting was among the most difficult of all the TDs I've seen.  

In the end I just loved Frydad's representation of Haitian cuisine, along with Ozzy's mango flan. 

Excellent job all!! 

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back