• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Pizza Pizza Pizza Throwdown

Breakfast

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D3monic said:
... these starter cultures... do you have to keep them alive some how?

I got pizza on the menu tomorrow, making a batch of sauce right now and serving the kids some for lunch but the grown up stuff going down tomorrow. 

I'll divert other questions to the general pizza thread.
Yes. But it really is easy. Can be as infrequent as every couple of weeks.

grantmichaels said:
Fresh peppers usually ruin most foods, but especially pizza ... powder FTW!

Feel free to disagree =)

For me it is raw peppers. Fresh peppers cooked, I can eat.

grantmichaels said:

Feel free to disagree =)

I like peppers on pizza. Jalapeno pizza rocks, hotter peps too.

Powders of course.

I found I really like chili oil on pizza. Not just a chili-infused oil that still looks like olive oil, like a good incorporated chili oil... drizzle on top, awesome.

I agree w/ oil, too.

When I started processing raw peppers into intermediary formats, before use, my appreciate swelled once more and I began the lifelong-appreciation phase =)

And for pizza, if they've been pre-processed before going on the pizza, that's cool too ... I just don't like the cook on onions/peppers if it's only taking place during the pizza cook itself ...

grantmichaels said:

Feel free to disagree =)
In general I agree - if you put raw peppers on a 'za, the oils leach out and overpower everything else on the 'za.

But if I grill the peppers 1st, that seems to help keep the pepper oils contained to just the slices of peppers I put on the 'za, and in that case they're delicious as a topping.

One of the best pizzas I've ever made was with prosciutto, fire-roasted jalapeño, fig and ricotta dollops. The balance created between the sweet, hot & savory was out of this world, and the ricotta helped to temper the heat of the jalapeño.

So long story short, I disagree but only under some circumstances.
grantmichaels said:

And for pizza, if they've been pre-processed before going on the pizza, that's cool too ... I just don't like the cook on onions/peppers if it's only taking place during the pizza cook itself ...
This, exactly. :cheers:

I shoulda read all the responses before responding. ;)

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
In general I agree - if you put raw peppers on a 'za, the oils leach out and overpower everything else on the 'za.

But if I grill the peppers 1st, that seems to help keep the pepper oils contained to just the slices of peppers I put on the 'za, and in that case they're delicious as a topping.

One of the best pizzas I've ever made was with prosciutto, fire-roasted jalapeño, fig and ricotta dollops. The balance created between the sweet, hot & savory was out of this world, and the ricotta helped to temper the heat of the jalapeño.

So long story short, I disagree but only under some circumstances.

I agree with this. Glad you took the time to be more clear than I was willing to be ;)

And since you are here, I just kung pao'd a bag of Maple Buffalo Bacon ... thx for that, LOL ....

grantmichaels said:
I agree w/ oil, too.

When I started processing raw peppers into intermediary formats, before use, my appreciate swelled once more and I began the lifelong-appreciation phase =)

I disagree to an extent. For onions, I don't like raw white, but I love cutting thin slivers of red onion and soaking them in balsamic vinegar for a bit then using them on the pizza. 

As for peppers, I do not like bell peppers on pizza but I love thin slices of bonnets, baha goats and habs cooked right on the pizza. That flavor permeating into the cheese.
Raw penos cooked on pizza not so much. I agree they need to be roasted or grilled first. 

I hope you also bought the Sriracha Bacon - might be even better.
grantmichaels said:

Whole bag, one hour ... had to put the other bags in another room, in a cabinet ...
:rofl:

I did the same! I put them in a kitchen drawer - hid them from myself. It doesn't work very well but if I have to walk to another room, sometimes that is an effective enough deterrent.

Chalk one up for being lazy!
:D

I did ... Sriracha Teriyaki, and a 2nd Maple Buffalo Bacon as well ...

I'd be able to say I had one of each, but there was still no bundle on my third visit ...
:rofl:

I did the same! I put them in a kitchen drawer - hid them from myself. It doesn't work very well but if I have to walk to another room, sometimes that is an effective enough deterrent.

Chalk one up for being lazy!
:D

Yup. Works for me too ...

tctenten said:
I got my order a few days ago and have not tried them yet....trying to hold out till I go hunting.
Back on topic, the bacon is phenomenal in recipes too. Would make a KILLER pizza topping!

I made a baked potato dish with diced Granny Smith apples, sweet & russet potatoes, sliced yellow onion, crushed garlic and 1/2 a bag of the Sriracha bacon chopped & tossed it all in Thai spice infused olive oil & a splash of chili oil. Covered the Pyrex in foil & baked 40 mins at 400, then uncovered and gave it 5 mins under the broiler and it was *ridiculous*!

OK, I'll bite. I agree with the above mostly, but to say peppers can't go on a good pizza is wrong. If you make a pizza the correct way, all the ingredients are at least at room temp. If you put your pie in a screaming hot oven (which it should be) and have appropriately acclimated toppings, everything will cook perfectly.

Long story short, a hot oven + warm toppings = no soggy or messy flavors.

I don't like the captured liquid of supers in my food, save for maybe chili and curry dishes, personally ...

I prefer pepper intermediaries ...

Smoked powders, oils infused by them, or syrups, or jellies, or basically everything but the raw peppers really ...

My tract's happier with that, too, lol ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back