• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! - Steak - January 2010 Throwdown

Vote for STEAK based on RECIPE and PRESENTATION (disregard internal temp.)

• Novacastrian - Holy 23, The Jordan Would Have Had No Problems

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • ImpyChick - She Got The Bleus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • chilehunter - chilehunter's CI Branded Ribeye

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • JayT - JayT's Holiday Steak

• Noshownate - Spicy Sirloin Fillet w/Tarragon Mustard Sauce

• paulky_2000 - Circle-H-Bistro Filet

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Deathtosnails - OMG..It's TWINS with Red Wine Jus, Creamy Mashed 'Taters and Fresh Baked Bread

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • texas blues - TB's Grilled Dry Aged Ribeye w/Bearnaise, Sweet Potato Skins, Swiss Chard

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • frydad4 - Frydad's Coal Steak Habanero Thermidor

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Pepperfreak - Garlic Steak Extravagansa

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woot! It's getting hot in here :) I notice that Asparagus is featuring a lot, must just go well with steak!

Keep up the awesomeness guys :hell:

Ok here I am. I am a little disappointed with the camera man on this one. He keeps showing up drunk. We'll call this Jay T's Holiday Steak. The holidays for me usually involve indulgence. That's what this steak is. A large bone-in ribeye with crab cheasapeake on top and jerk shrimp and sauteed onions, peppers, and mushrooms, aside. It is a MEAL! The steak is rubbed with a coarse mix of pepper, salt, garlic, onion, and paprika.

100_5309.jpg

100_5320.jpg

100_5332.jpg

Spicy Sirloin Fillet w/ Tarragon Mustard Sauce
w/ Sweet Potato Fries & Greek Vinegarette GRilled Asparagus.
MUstard Sauce -
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon pineapple juice
FRies -
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/teaspoon cinnamon
little homegrown fresh basil
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
ASparagus -
2 tablespoons Greek vinegar dressing
1 1/2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
S & P To taste
STeak -
Was Rubbed with sundried Fatalii, white bullet hab,Angkor Sunrise,and couple Fresh O. Habs and a fresh white bullet.
and fresh minced garlic and alittle fresh cracked Sea salt and pepper.

I decided to make the sauce first and keep it warm in ms noshows liittle mini crockpot.
IMG006502.jpg

Then..
IMG00649.jpg

Then..

Uh oh....... I smell a winner coming.

Whoa Nate serves up Nuclear Death Steak!

JT - meal looks great! love the shrimp. whats cheasapeake ?

nate - :shocked: I'd never thought it'd turn nuclear green from that recipe.

OK, everyone! This is Retta - Paul is exhausted from the drama of the throwdown, sooooooo, I'll try to carry on!!!! I acted as sous chef to his "artiste" and we managed to get thru it all alive and unscathed! As you saw in his earlier teaser, we went with what appeared to be nice filets.... however, when Paul opened the package, he realizied the butcher got carried away and butterflied them. Needless to say, he responded gently and politely - as shown below.
100_0993.jpg

After a moment of quiet contemplation, he marinaded with olive oil, garlic, cracked black pepper, tarragon, bhut/fatalli flakes, crushed cayenne, kosher salt, and a wee bit of beer.
100_1003.jpg

Then stuffed his with wonderful bleu cheese and mine with herbed swiss
100_0999.jpg

And in true Navy fashion, found a way to adapt and overcome and sealed the butterfly cut and secured all with thick sliced BACON!
100_1005.jpg

and our adventure continues.........

a little pan searing to seal all the flavor.....
100_1009.jpg

and our smiling Paul here making a wonderful reduction... based on beef broth, pan drippings, a bit more of the bhut/fatalli powder, a nice merlot and fresh snipped rosemary.
100_1014.jpg

and! the finished product.. smells fantastic.. asparagus tossed in olive oil and herbs, new potatoes the same, and portobello mushrooms sauted in the merlot and beef broth....chopped habanero on HIS, bleu cheese melted on top with the reduction drizzled over all
100_1030.jpg

fork tender.. melts in your mouth...
100_1039.jpg

and we shall call this one.. Circle-H-Bistro Filet

Paul, no heat on the steak? Chopped habs on the mushrooms? You almost had a win... but where da heat???!!!!!

Novacastrian said:
Yeah Paul where da heat mang? I see your paltry 2 habs and raise you four Bih's! :rofl:

He had plenty of heat! Retta was right there!

Holy mother of beefdom! The PaulKy Posse turns a potential FAIL into a magnificent WIN!!!

Noshow...add yourself to the hot, blue, and righteous clubhouse my brother!

I am not worthy....but wait!

Where is THP's entry? You bastard! I know you have something!

I'm all Drunken Chef on this one and cooking now! I'm calling my brujo on this one for consultation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back