contest Vote! Super "Bowl" Throwdown

Who has the best "Super" Bowl?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...looks like it might be time for a little "7-Headed Dragon". Not that a simple bowl of salsa has a chance of winning, but I used it all up last night anyway...so time to make MORE. :hell:

I will be sitting this one out - too much going on. Good luck everyone and enjoy the 'Super Bowl'! Oh yeah, enjoy the game too :lol:

Here's a teaser for the "Super Bowl" TD. Will be using the grill for this one - the 3 additional inches of snow that have fallen so far on top of the 14.5 we had earlier this week will make it more interesting.

Ingredients:
Pineapple (the bowl), shrimp, scallops, white fish, coconut milk, cilantro, lemon grass, mequite smoked assorted red chile powder, ground chile paste, Thai red curry seasoning.

P1020429.jpg

Here are the bowls:

P1020438.jpg

The seafood rubbed in either chile powder or Thai red curry seasoning (waiting for the grill):
P1020442.jpg

Grilled:

P1020445.jpg

Coconut milk, cilantro, pineapple, chile paste, Thai curry seasoning, more chile powder:

P1020448.jpg

Into the bowls and back on the grill:

P1020450.jpg

After bringing the coconut milk to a simmer - add the seafood back in:

P1020452.jpg

Next up, the final product: Buddy's Super Pineapple Bowl.

Here it is, "Buddy's Super Pineapple Bowl"

Ingredients: pineapple, shrimp, scallops, white fish, coconut milk, cilantro, lemon grass, mequite smoked assorted red chile powder, ground chile paste, Thai red curry seasoning.

P1020454.jpg

P1020464.jpg

As always, had a great time with the Throwdown! This dish really tasted good - I will definitely make it again. Enjoyed it about 20 minutes ago and my lips are still tingling :) Good luck to everyone.

Whoa! buddy that is amazing! The presentation is killer except for the cilantro stems.

thanks. was in a bit of a hurry - needed to pack for a business trip to san diego (leaving tomorrow), shovel snow, and get everything ready to go before game time.

7 Headed Dragon

7 pepper salsa:

Habaneros
Scotch Bonnets (dried-flaked)
Cayenne (powder)
Chile de Arbol (dried whole)
Serranos
Hot Sandia (aka NuMex Hots)
Jalapenos

Can of Rotel
2-3 Roma Tomatoes
Salt
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Lemons

febtd1.jpg

Dice Habi's, and soak in lemon juice first, and add a little salt...before doing anything else. They need to soak for at least 30 minutes...and hour is better.

febtd2.jpg

THEN, go get water, put on high heat. Stem peppers (duh). When the water starts boiling, toss in the Arbol, Serranos, Jalapenos, and tomatoes to blanch. (I tossed in the Sandias for a minute, to unfreeze them)

febtd3.jpg

When the tomatoes are peeling, and the peppers "gray-out" a little, they are ready...5-10 minutes. Pour into a strainer, and rinse with cold water for a few minutes. Squeeze the water out of the peppers...I usually squeeze he ends, and fold the peppers in half...otherwise, there will be too much water in the salsa. Toss it all in a blender.

febtd4.jpg

Blend up a bit, then add the dried Bonnets, Cayenne powder, Onion powder, Garlic powder, and salt.

febtd5.jpg

After this gets mixed up pretty well, add the Rotel, and Habi's with the lemon juice.

febtd6.jpg

Blend to desired texture...I like mine very well mixed, but a tad lumpy, so I blend it on a middle setting. Garnish with onion and cilantro. Don't add fresh onion and cilantro to this mixture for an extended time...after a few days in the fridge, the onions will funkify the salsa, and the cilantro will start to taste like celery. No big deal...when I take this to work, I always bring a little container of chopped onions and cilantro.

febtd7.jpg

I realized after I finished off this bowl...that I didn't have the POL, so when the game starts, I'll go get more, and edit this post with a new pic...lol.

Interesting twist on the POL pic...the boy said he wanted to try it...I said "OK...but it's hot". The pics was snapped as he decided to go for it...looking back as if to say, "Are you sure, Daddy?"

He took it pretty well...but said "Eeeewwwww...it's nasty". I said, "Is your tongue tingling?"

"Yes Daddy..." and off he went to find Thomas Train...

febtdpol.jpg

wow - well done. that salsa looks like it will light you up! good luck.

LOL...thanks...your's looks absolutely amazing...except that I hate coconut. I've literally been looking around the house for ideas for a substitution, so I can make this.

Well unless we can extend the deadline until 9pm CST tomorrow night, I am gonna be out of this one.

Moving all my stuff in and getting everything I need for the throwdown has become quite a hassle, but if I can make it to the grocery store and buy a cutting board and kaniffies and the ingredients I need, I can pull it off in 3 hours after school tomorrow

Its up to THP though, I don't want to have an unfair advantage.

Buddy, those Thai bowls look amazing as THP said that's one of the best looking presentations I've seen in my short time here.

mesatrin, that bacon bowl rocked.

LB nice salsa, better give some of that to Big Ben running out on the field there he's gonna need it the way things are going after the 1st qtr.

I'll be out this one, all I've got is a micro wave and little frig full of Keystone (don't tell tinsmith) here in the hotel, guess I could cut a can in half and fill it with Hot Chex Mix for the bowl. Outta town for the week on business.

thanks LC. wish that you could have joined us - the more the merrier. i always look forward to seeing what people can come up with.

Buddy, those Thai bowls look amazing as THP said that's one of the best looking presentations I've seen in my short time here.

mesatrin, that bacon bowl rocked.

LB nice salsa, better give some of that to Big Ben running out on the field there he's gonna need it the way things are going after the 1st qtr.

I'll be out this one, all I've got is a micro wave and little frig full of Keystone (don't tell tinsmith) here in the hotel, guess I could cut a can in half and fill it with Hot Chex Mix for the bowl. Outta town for the week on business.

OK...I know I'm still kinda new around here...and only a few TD's under my expanding belt...but if you went through the trouble to gnaw a Keystone Light can in half in a hotel room, and fill it with Hot Chex Mix...I'd bet you would garner a respectable percentage of the votes. Me...I'd go with Flamin' Hot Cheeto's...but I'm a mad-man.

Buddy, you've got me absolutely drooling down my chin over here - wow!

LunchBox, I think I can feel the heat way up here on the "north shore" - surely some of the snow has melted now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back