• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

† † † Wafflebum's summer of Pubes † † †

Hello ladies and germs glad to be back for another growing season. Most seeds have been started, just waiting on a few last minute deliveries from the post man to complete the list.  I will post some pics when things start to get going.  :cheers:

This years seed selection:

Caramel Moruga
BBG7 chocolate
Caramel Moruga x BBG7
7 pod orange X
UBSC chocolate # 1
Peach Bhut
Pink Tiger- KD
Pink Tiger- Jamison
Red Rocoto #1 Lima market
Red Rocoto #2 Lima market
Rocoto San Isidro
Rocoto CAP 217
Rocoto Aji Largo
Rocopica
Yellow manzano- clones from "The Beast"
Serrano Tampiqueno
Maui Purple
Nocturne
Pimiento Piquillo
Aji Piura
CAP 455

added these to the above:

PI 355812
CGN 21566
CGN 2150XXX
CAP 521
Billy Goat
Hot Rod Serrano
Red MoA 
Large orange thai

Thanks for looking and I hope everyone has a great season. 

grantmichaels said:
OK, I'll bite ... maple glaze? ...

I'm going to be doing some wings later, or tomorrow certainly if not later (plant out might consume that time, today) ...
simple brine- 1/2 cup kosher to 1/2 gallon of hot water. Added some maple syrup,maple sugar,brown sugar,pepper corns, smoked hot paprika,garlic powder, onion powder,fresh thyme, in the icebox until chilled. then brine for 5 hours. I "dry" them a little on the weber first @ around 100F. then hit with smoke @ 225-250 until done.  I crisped them up the last couple of minutes. 

Not a good pic but here's a turkey breast I smoked using the same brine as the wings-
turkey_zpstyuamxmw.jpg

Looks good ...

So ... I was laughing the other day, because I'm reading/watching stuff re: Asian cuisine, and there's a lot about umami and glutamates etc ... and maple syrup has umami, unlike honey and agave etc ...

I believe corn is the only grain, and maple syrup the only sweetener ...

Tomatoes were high, and aged cheese - especially the rinds, and then the little fishes etc (dried sardines, anchovies, and shrimp etc) ... oh, and the kambu/wakame, I guess, too ...

I'll be trying to build a dashi later this week, if my plant out goes well enough for me ...

grantmichaels said:
Looks good ...

So ... I was laughing the other day, because I'm reading/watching stuff re: Asian cuisine, and there's a lot about umami and glutamates etc ... and maple syrup has umami, unlike honey and agave etc ...

I believe corn is the only grain, and maple syrup the only sweetener ...

Tomatoes were high, and aged cheese - especially the rinds, and then the little fishes etc (dried sardines, anchovies, and shrimp etc) ... oh, and the kambu/wakame, I guess, too ...

I'll be trying to build a dashi later this week, if my plant out goes well enough for me ...
I use maple syrup in a lot of stuff. pretty much substitute it anytime a recipe calls for sugar.  let me know how the dashi turns out.  get some tripe man and make some pho, that would be awesome 

tctenten said:
How was the turkey breast? Both look very good.
thanks, the turkey breast was really good. I love smoked turkey, I have another one going on the smoke tomorrow  :P

Yeah, I'm fond of syrup for cooking myself - pairs great w/ whatever chocolate pods JHP makes the Caribbean Chocolate out of =)

Very different kind of grocery trip yesterday, 2x turkey breasts to smoke, 3x dozen wings, and 4x lbs of lean ground beef for tacos ...

Not the usual characters ...

In fact, all these little dried fish on my desk are a little creepy ...

grantmichaels said:
Yeah, I'm fond of syrup for cooking myself - pairs great w/ whatever chocolate pods JHP makes the Caribbean Chocolate out of =)

Very different kind of grocery trip yesterday, 2x turkey breasts to smoke, 3x dozen wings, and 4x lbs of lean ground beef for tacos ...

Not the usual characters ...

In fact, all these little dried fish on my desk are a little creepy ...
nice man sounds like you will be eating well. If you can find it try ground bison for your tacos once and see how you like it, even better for you and great flavor imo.

Small update. re-potted the last of the peppers today into solo cups. around 90 plants total. I told myself I would grow less platns then last year, somehow I ended up with more  :P

maui purple-
20150323_101804_zpsk8x5xk5h.jpg

Manzano clones ready for soil
20150323_102014_zpsw5xvrsj9.jpg

rocoto with a flower bud already- seed started feb.14th
20150323_112826_zpsh6xl5fai.jpg

and a teaser. 6lbs of fresh local chicken wings I had my butcher break down for me yesterday. Cooking them tomorrow, will follow up with a couple pics.
20150323_113955_zpszruxcauc.jpg

Most excellent that your clone is looking so healthy and ready for the dirt! It's so hard to start the Manzanos from seed that maybe cloning is the way to go for propagation instead. I hear ya 'bout not being very "continent" when it comes to reining in the pepper starts... I also have 90 plants, though 20 of them are the Kurtovska Kapijas. The rest are in ones and twos. Keep up the good work!

stickman said:
Most excellent that your clone is looking so healthy and ready for the dirt! It's so hard to start the Manzanos from seed that maybe cloning is the way to go for propagation instead. I hear ya 'bout not being very "continent" when it comes to reining in the pepper starts... I also have 90 plants, though 20 of them are the Kurtovska Kapijas. The rest are in ones and twos. Keep up the good work!
Thanks Rick! I don't think I will ever grow pubes again from seed unless adding a new variety. Clones are def, the way to go for us northern guys. Some of the clones are already putting on pods but I am pinching them off. 

~Small update I did some watering last night and took a few pics of stuff ,crappy pics sorry~

Pink tigers in 1 gallons- seed started 2-14-15 
20150422_071044_zpsyr0dhlot.jpg

Nocturne in 1 gallons- seed started 2-26-15
20150422_071822_zpsoncktxgg.jpg

serrano tempiqueno in 1 gallons- seed started 2-26-15
20150422_071929_zpsukmoarnv.jpg

pimento piquillo in 1 gallons- seed started 2-26-15
20150422_072131_zpsdypcjdtx.jpg

20150422_072149_zps30nrzqta.jpg

cap 455- C.Baccatum- in 1 gallons- seed started 2-26-15
20150422_072300_zpspd8mr6bv.jpg

random chinense in 1 gallons-seed started 2-14-15- caramel moruga,peach bhut,red moa,chocolate bbg7,7 pod orange x
20150422_072740_zpsbrn1rbrh.jpg

red moa in 1 gallon seed satrted 2-14-15
20150422_072833_zpss4co1sir.jpg

maui purple- seed started 3-1-15
20150422_073224_zpsnqylzprm.jpg

pi 355812- seed started 2-26-16
20150422_073245_zps9fvoznsd.jpg

can I get a bump please? 

Thanks for the bump

CAP 217- seed started 2-26-15
20150422_073358_zpsijxg3tap.jpg

CAP 521-C.Frutescens- seed started 3-1-15
20150422_073838_zpspbaxovdm.jpg

Aji Piura-C.Baccatum- way in the back- seed started 3-1-15
20150422_073317_zpsqkukhwu1.jpg

Billy goat- seed started 3-1-15
20150422_073851_zps5cqqxfgd.jpg

Rocopica flowering- seed started 2-14-15
20150422_073704_zpspf5zhtar.jpg

pube flowers make me happy 
20150422_073258_zpse3n2y749.jpg

couple of manzano clones in the solo cups, rocoto # 1 lima market and rocoto # 2 lima market in the 1 gallons only getting natural light since germinating. 2-14-15
20150422_074059_zpscffulsrm.jpg

indoor fingerling potatoes
20150422_074201_zpswckml8rq.jpg

beer and burger shot
20150414_122540_zps80vu0npl.jpg

20150414_182457_zpse8wb8cvy.jpg

romy6 said:
 Plants and food look great . :dance:

Growing any garlic this year ? ( Sorry if I missed that ) 
thanks Jamie- and you know it brother! Not as much as some years but around 250 cloves planted last fall.  Hope all is well with you and yours

Hmm looking good! Nice and dark green foliage, they look happy. I noticed the cap 217 and rocopica, does it mean you finally got my seeds or did you happen to get some more of those?

Really curious because I'd like to start shipping some more seeds to the US. About a dozen came through fine.

Pfeffer said:
Hmm looking good! Nice and dark green foliage, they look happy. I noticed the cap 217 and rocopica, does it mean you finally got my seeds or did you happen to get some more of those?
Really curious because I'd like to start shipping some more seeds to the US. About a dozen came through fine.
They never showed up unfortunately. The 217 is from Peter at Semillas La Palma in Spain and the rocopica came from a member here in Italy. I was really looking forward to growing some of the ones you sent. Maybe we can try again at some point for my winter grow, I'll send you some euros for shipping and a few pints. :) all the best

grispa72 said:
Awesome plants! Congratulations!
I love Rocotos and I'm very interesting to the clones. Do you simply put the stick in the water only?
Paolo
Hi Paolo thank you. I fooled around with a few different ways of rooting.The fastest way they rooted was from dipping the cutting into a root hormone gel/cloning gel and then placed into tap water on the windowsill. Took about 8 days to see roots. With my yellow manzano I tried the same technique only without the root hormone gel just plain tap water and they rooted just fine but took longer to see roots at over two weeks. Soil did not work as well as just plain tap water. I had much better results with cooler temps when cloning pubes around 65F. Hope this helps.

Back