• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

[sub]"MoA"urderer![/sub]

[sub]Hit 'em wit dat seaweed! They shoud bounce right back bredren![/sub]
lol, only have one gallon left and as you know I started my second 5 gal. batch yesterday … a month won’t come soon enough. Currently looking for larger containers, maybe a drum :) BTW I have enough seaweed for you to start a 5 gallon batch if you sourced a container, call me tomorrow.
Raccoons are destructive little devils, in city you can only shoot em with .22 pellets or catch em in cages. I know we can get the live traps at canadian tire, so you could probably locate one at an equivalent store. I opted to shoot em at night when they were raiding my garden a year back. I dont know how I would deal with a p&$sed off raccoon trapped in a cageThe area I have moved too has too many cougars and bears to have raccoons so my only battle is with the super fast populating rabbits.
Good points, I have both the cage and riffle … standing vigilant as I don’t want to lose any more. What blows me away is that they eat a whole egg or more with dirt and plant, that has never happened before and I’ve been doing this egg ting since I was a little kid o_O

As always, thanks for stopping by and come back soon … have a great one and may big beautiful pods be in your future :)

Ramon we should start "CHAARM" which stands for ChilliHead Association Agains Racoons & Monkeys. Enough is enough!
lol, I do have a great trap and have relocated a few in the past to the Everglades. What really sucks is how they behave once trapped, I'm sure no worse than monkeys. Throwing dong and pissing all over the place, anything less than a truck to relocate yields a terrible odor in any car, hehe Thanks for looking and reading, don't know how you have the time to keep up with everyone's glog as your grow must keep ya really busy and up late at nights on what to do with all dem jungle animals eyeballing your beautiful pods & plants! I've read that monkey dong makes great fertilizer, maybe you can start a side business ;) And don't they have some expensive monkey dong coffee or am I thinking of something else, lol. Keep jamming mi South African Brethren!

AFAIK we have another big cold front coming withing a week or so, probably the last of the season and I'll probably be planting some more seed a few weeks after that, can't wait ^_^

Thanks all for looking and reading, I'll take some pics mid week and provide some update, till then wishing everyone great success to their crops ^_^

I have a live trap I use for trapping raccoons and opossums out of my garden. I take them about 5 miles away to release on the other side of a local river. They may come back, but they'll either have to swim for it or take their chances on the bridges. I'm always a little nervous releasing the larger raccoons, but so far they just high-tail it directly away from me and towards the woods. I have had success spraying things with a hot pepper mix of my own concoction, but that doesn't work on birds. Last year, the neighbor's free range chickens found my watermelon patch and pecked holes in the rinds, undeterred by the spray. Once the holes were there, then the coons took over. Wiped out about 50 watermelons in just a couple of nights.

Ramon, try putting some big plastic toy snakles out there and see what happens. I used to have birds in the trees next to my driveway and chucked a couple up into the branches, no more birds pooping on my truck and it's cheaper than a trap.

I have a live trap I use for trapping raccoons and opossums out of my garden. I take them about 5 miles away to release on the other side of a local river. They may come back, but they'll either have to swim for it or take their chances on the bridges. I'm always a little nervous releasing the larger raccoons, but so far they just high-tail it directly away from me and towards the woods. I have had success spraying things with a hot pepper mix of my own concoction, but that doesn't work on birds. Last year, the neighbor's free range chickens found my watermelon patch and pecked holes in the rinds, undeterred by the spray. Once the holes were there, then the coons took over. Wiped out about 50 watermelons in just a couple of nights.
Yes I have similar trap & do the same with hot pepper mix. I found trap in new condition being put out for bulk, have had it for years and nothing wrong with it. Have also captured possum trying to get into my attic. I’ve never released them anywhere near my house, I’m east and the glades are roughly 35 miles west of me, so I make a run for that boarder, hehe. Never had issue during release but yea it looks hairy, I think they're just happy to run off alive ;) I don't think they are very good swimers, our dog has drowned a few in the pool, they tire easy. On the pluse side they'll wipe out any snail problem you may have, lol. ... Sad to read about the melons :/ I haven’t grown them in years and would love to again sometime in da near future …

Coons?! Well raccoons tried to get in our back porch, Momma just chase 'em off with a broom!
Send Momma over ;) See ya laterz mon ^_^

Ramon, try putting some big plastic toy snakles out there and see what happens. I used to have birds in the trees next to my driveway and chucked a couple up into the branches, no more birds pooping on my truck and it's cheaper than a trap.
Yes I need to buy a few snakes, dam ducks are landing on floating dock and pooping all over it :/ so I should kill two birds with one stone, thanks for reminder :)

Edit: Forgot to post the questions/pictures:

Is this a brown lacewing or do they go from green to brown after death like picture below?
2nl5jm9.jpg

My son caught and took a picture of this caterpillar making its way up the side of a peppers pot. I checked closely and none on any of the peppers but I have found and killed a few others around 25’ from the peppers. Anyone know the type?
4qfnv5.jpg

Pineapple update, not only is the pineapple growing, its now throwing purple flowers. While I’ve had other bromeliads throw similar flowers, I’ve never seen this on all the pineapples I’ve grown over the years … but I’m not surprised, hope its an indication of a big juicy one to come ^_^
a0dimt.jpg

Coons?! Well raccoons tried to get in our back porch, Momma just chase 'em off with a broom!

LOL.
coon |koōn|
noun
1 short for raccoon

On the plus side they'll wipe out any snail problem you may have, lol.

Possums or raccoons?

Is this a brown lacewing or do they go from green to brown after death like picture below?

Not sure, but it might be a mayfly.

My son caught and took a picture of this caterpillar making its way up the side of a peppers pot. I checked closely and none on any of the peppers but I have found and killed a few others around 25’ from the peppers. Anyone know the type?

Never saw one of those before, but it's quite attractive, for a bug. (Cute as a bug?)

That pineapple is beautiful man! I have a couple growing that are 2 years old but they only have leaves no fruit. There is a similiar picture of a flowering pineapple on the homepage of Photobucket right now. That's not yours....... is it?

… Possums or raccoons?
Raccoons eat snails like escargot, the snails that come around here in the rainy season look like this and if they get on your peppers they’ll chomp dem up :(

Not sure, but it might be a mayfly.
Read through that and I did not see the tail the mayfly has on the ones I found. Guess I’ll keep checking but thanks for the link & heads up :)

Never saw one of those before, but it's quite attractive, for a bug. (Cute as a bug?)
I’ve never seen a good worm other than an earth worm :|

That pineapple is beautiful man!
Thank you :) But I was wrong, was looking back at all my old pics from previous years and found another one with the same flower, loosing my mind in older age I guess, hehe

I have a couple growing that are 2 years old but they only have leaves no fruit.
If you started them from pineapple tops then it takes 2 to 3 years to get fruit and sometimes longer. The first one took me around 2 ½ years, but once they produce shoots (can be called shoots, suckers or slips) out the side, you can produce fruit in 8 months if you replant the shoot. I’m now up to 5 shoots planted, one that has fruit and one top my son planted. Good luck on your pineapple grow, not that one needs it IMO ;)

There is a similiar picture of a flowering pineapple on the homepage of Photobucket right now. That's not yours....... is it?
Not mine, I don’t use photobucket very often, but IIRC I have one there somewhere that’s fairly large. I looked in tinypic and have one picked and placed in a vase of water, I do this when I pick them and while there’s no proof I’d swear they’re juicier.

iwokxz.jpg

This is one of the ones on photobucket
100_3296.jpg

On another note, STEVE954 stopped by and dropped off a TFM pod pictured below, thanks Steve, very tasty!
22l4g.jpg

346okdj.jpg

Thanks all for poping by my glog and commenting! You are always welcome back and I hope to see you in your glog soon :)

Edit:
Nice pineapple shot......the caddy-pilla looks like some form of a slug.
Thank you and good tip for me to look up that caterpillar, I don’t wana see what they can do to a plant :0
How was the beach scoccer ?
Fun for the boys, dad went body surfing and gathered seaweed, I’m on my second batch now … kinda feels natural and I like what I see in the plants :)

Just a quick note, that's Shlogg talking about the pineapple, not me. These multiquotes get a little confusing to edit sometimes. :)

It’s definitely not my thing, the closest these lips come to snail is cracked conch, chowder, conch salad or conch burgers … with Bimini bread for da side :)

I could probably be tempted with escargot, but I had some conch salad at Danny's Conch Shack (literally on the beach in NW Exuma, Bahamas) with an ice cold Kalik and it was incredible. Definitely one of my top 5 meals ever. Cool looking catepillar.

Dunno about those caterpillars??? Look like some kind of small hornworm. Kill them then figure it out! Here is a pic of a huge hornworm feasing on my Manzano last year...
gallery_5729_17_256426.jpg

Yup...it ate the whole freakin pod and more! Grrrrrr....

Back