• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

A little more than half the seeds from one pod plus the other side added to a total of 53 seeds in this first pod. Again I’d rate this one either an A minus or a B plus, you make up your mind and let me know. Thanks for looking & reading ^_^

fw7fjp.jpg

The rest of her was chopped up along with some white onion for a quick sofrito starter, added into a albacore tuna spread and made into a sandwich, no cheese only a little fresh garden cilantro and she was delish \o/

2qvbgoj.jpg

30xfq5s.jpg

2nvy0xs.jpg

Apologies Denniz (KiNGDeNNiZ) and Greg (PIC 1) but I wanted to get a clean post up of the MoA stuff and then reply. I hope everyone enjoyed the read and pics  ^_^

Now if someone can give me another bump I’ll reply after dinner. Sorry no mas pics ...

Great dissertation on the MoA! I love scientific papers on plants and felt like I was reading one lol.

A beautiful looking pod and plant. Stay crispy man!

I love love the review. Hands down excellent. Glad to see she is producing the real deal!! Now only if I can get mine going. I have buds barely coming out as I am behind. I have two plants going a s Melissa has the third.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
how the JA habs are.. my two bigger flowering ones are lost in the mixl.. -D
I can take some shots and either post or PM you. You could also look back thru some of my pics in da glog and that might help but this sounds like a tuff test, hehe.

PIC 1 said:
Denniz “how the JA habs are.. my two bigger flowering ones are lost in the mix. 30 to 40 unlabeled plants?” … … no way !

“WG quote” … … Well put!
Greg I too think it would be hard, Denniz probably the best I could do is provide you pictures that might help you identify them but aside from that picking one out of 40+ over the net is a long shot IMHO.

Greg thank you for the “well put” ^_^

GnomeGrown said:
Thank you ^_^

Devv said:
Official bump?

LOL
lols

Peptacular said:
Great dissertation on the MoA! I love scientific papers on plants and felt like I was reading one lol.

A beautiful looking pod and plant. Stay crispy man!
Thank you but “dissertation” lolz, I’m far from scientific but certainly appreciate the kudos ^_^

JJJessee said:
Great write-up, Ramon. I could almost taste that hot, fruity, island beauty.
Thank you Carl I’ll save some seeds for ya after a few more pods ^_^

Devv said:
Well done Ramon!

Excellent write up!
Thanks Scott, a few more pods and I should have a few seeds to share with you & da guys ^_^

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
I love love the review. Hands down excellent. Glad to see she is producing the real deal!! Now only if I can get mine going. I have buds barely coming out as I am behind. I have two plants going a s Melissa has the third.
Denniz last pics I saw of yours they looked good, hope you get some pods soon and thank you for the kudos ^_^

MGOLD86 said:
Looking great brother. Amazing review, a real wordsmith. Definitely a "must grow", and it was awesome for Steve to share the seeds with you!
Thank you Matt and yes Steve is a great guy! We have traded seeds, plants and shared stories by the New River down here. The river is a classic place that Indians used to canoe thru the area and trade with the settlers in many moons gone by ^_^
Edit: While I am very good at shooting and editing video, I don't think I could do a review off the top of my head like you and that's why I don't do video review, btw your's was excelent! I take my time tasting, do the research that you mentioned in your reply to me like you and take notes along the way. This one was fun cause the Scotch Bonnet is one of my fav's like the JA Hab, you keep up dem great reviews brethren!

JJJessee said:
Yes! :dance: Seeds! :dance: Yes!

thanks, man
That’s the first pod, I’ll be picking and sorting the other pods and soon will be ready to send some out. I'll contact you for sure once ready ^_^

Hope you guys have a great day! As always thank you for comments ^_^

Incredible review !
I don't think the Ministry could have done better with the description nor the photography or creativeness....
32" tall plant....wow ! That girl will be a helluva season long producer...
Thanks Ramon for the review.........this should prove very encouraging for those who have the opportunity to grow these marvels...

Greg

PIC 1 said:
Incredible review !
I don't think the Ministry could have done better with the description nor the photography or creativeness....
32" tall plant....wow ! That girl will be a helluva season long producer...
Thanks Ramon for the review.........this should prove very encouraging for those who have the opportunity to grow these marvels...

Greg
Greg thank you my friend, your kudos means a lot to me and will make my day! I have no doubt that you will grow your MoAs more beautiful than mine and I’m eagerly waiting to see them once they start producing for you. I am also very interested in hearing your taste opinions on them. Will they also make your OW list this year? I just got off the phone with Steve and he asked me if I tasted pineapple, that did not make my notes but it was only the first one and I will now keep that though top of mind upon my next taste later today. I would also like to hear your opinion about the rating system that Steve came up with, personally I like it. I asked his rating of that specific pod and without me saying anything he replied at where I rated mine (A- to B or B+). I will separate my seeds as such till I have enough to share. Lastly I’d like to hear your thoughts about second generation planting of this seed. Do you think it will become a better/stronger plant as it acclimates to our soil, weather and conditions or any other thoughts, tips or tricks you may have. Thanks again and I feel proud to call you mi brethren mon … have a great day!

Brilliant review of early pods, Ramon! Like the comedic and uh, it IS a sexy little pod :dance:. Can't wait to plant mine next year and probably gonna create another, longer raised bed, just for the MoA seeds (hopefully plants) I received from Steve. I have my hands full now and over-wintering is just impossible, atm, but if they do well next summer--a NORMAL summer--I just might. I know these would make some kick-butt sauce!! I wonder if they will taste fruitier as the season goes on? Looking forward to updates on this amazing pepper! Thank you, mi hermano!

Ramon your tropical climate far exceeds mine.....but if the plants love both heat and humidity than they should fare well in out July and August months......it's a race in time to get a few harvests before October.

Sure I will provide not only my opinion but also let one of the cooks at a local "Jerk" stop give me hers........and of course they will find their way into a few foodies.

If I decide to ow, they would be my 1st choice........best plant wins a vacation under the growlights.

I have noticed pineapple notes in the past...more with the scent than the taste ,. Big flavor comes from the top of the pod.

I also like the rating system......once my plants get going I'll look them over and isolate a branch of the best producing with the "A" shaped pods. Those will be my working stock for the future.

2nd year seed crop should be fine. Although Steve's seeds were pre Thiram treatment......any fungal/mite issues would have already appeared since your plants are going through the fruiting cycle with no issues............can the Florida soil and climate beat out what Jamaica has to offer ? You tell me...

Thanks for your comments and replies.....any worthy info that I come across I certainly will pass on...

annie57 said:
Brilliant review of early pods, Ramon! Like the comedic and uh, it IS a sexy little pod :dance:. Can't wait to plant mine next year and probably gonna create another, longer raised bed, just for the MoA seeds (hopefully plants) I received from Steve. I have my hands full now and over-wintering is just impossible, atm, but if they do well next summer--a NORMAL summer--I just might. I know these would make some kick-butt sauce!! I wonder if they will taste fruitier as the season goes on? Looking forward to updates on this amazing pepper! Thank you, mi hermano!
Annie thank you so much for the review feedback, it really means a lot to me to hear from great peeps like you, Greg, Scott, Matt, Rob, Taylor, Carl, Denniz, Gnome … Hope I didn’t miss anyone. I’m sad you can’t start yours now and OW dem, I’d love to see them along with others growing the MoA but at least I’ll have a whole raised bed to look forward to in your next grow along with many others I’m sure. I should be picking some more either late today or tomorrow and posting more pictures of pods as I don’t have very many on them yet. But IIRC Steve’s started out slow and now I hear his plants are popping out pods like a PEZ dispenser … so I too have something to look forward to \o/

Thanks again Muchacha, have a great day and wonderful weekend ^_^

PIC 1 said:
Ramon your tropical climate far exceeds mine.....but if the plants love both heat and humidity than they should fare well in out July and August months......it's a race in time to get a few harvests before October.

Sure I will provide not only my opinion but also let one of the cooks at a local "Jerk" stop give me hers........and of course they will find their way into a few foodies.

If I decide to ow, they would be my 1st choice........best plant wins a vacation under the growlights.

I have noticed pineapple notes in the past...more with the scent than the taste ,. Big flavor comes from the top of the pod.

I also like the rating system......once my plants get going I'll look them over and isolate a branch of the best producing with the "A" shaped pods. Those will be my working stock for the future.

2nd year seed crop should be fine. Although Steve's seeds were pre Thiram treatment......any fungal/mite issues would have already appeared since your plants are going through the fruiting cycle with no issues............can the Florida soil and climate beat out what Jamaica has to offer ? You tell me...

Thanks for your comments and replies.....any worthy info that I come across I certainly will pass on...
Great feedback Greg, thank you. BTW we don’t have good soil here thus the pot growing, hehehe I probably worded that question poorly or I’ll have to stop hitting the rum bottle ;) I did have to fight off mites but where my plants are they either came from weeds at ground level or neighbors house. I’ve cut back on that treatment but more flowers are now slow to appear, hopefully they’ll flower up after the next rains, again thanks!

Ramon mon you should be the official reviewer of the THP. :dance:

That was an amazing write up with descriptions depicted so well I felt like at one point I was standing on the sandy beaches of Jamaica chomping into a MoA .  :party: Now you have to send me some seeds. It's your fault that I ask'd  ;)

Good Job Ramon! I'd be curious to see if there was a rush on the Post Office for passport applications from people who read your description... ;)  Interesting that you still seem to like the Ja Hab more after trying the MoA. Could you say a bit more about that?

romy6 said:
Ramon mon you should be the official reviewer of the THP. :dance:

That was an amazing write up with descriptions depicted so well I felt like at one point I was standing on the sandy beaches of Jamaica chomping into a MoA . :party: Now you have to send me some seeds. It's your fault that I ask'd ;)
Jamie, you are too kind my friend and I thank you, replies like yours here inspires me to write this and something like your powder review, your powder is awesome brethren!

As soon as I start getting seeds out you will be in the first batch of mailings, I am really excited that a great grower like you will be growing the MoA \o/

stickman said:
Good Job Ramon! I'd be curious to see if there was a rush on the Post Office for passport applications from people who read your description... ;)
lol Rick … might be hard for someone to get seeds from the Ministry now. From what I know Steve was a special exception and my contact with them retired some time back so I’m very glad that Steve did what he did for the good of us all ^_^

stickman said:
Interesting that you still seem to like the Ja Hab more after trying the MoA. Could you say a bit more about that?
I should have explained this better; I have been growing and eating the Jamaican Habanero for many years. I come close to eating one or more every day other than when I travel and it’s a pepper that is close and dear to me, heck I first grew them in Jamaica and now many years here. That said you could try both and tell me that the MoA is far better, that is the way Steve feels. I do love the taste, it’s fantastic and its right up there with the JA Hab IMHO … if you want more detailed explanation I’d have to sit down with both and start taking notes again. This stuff just doesn’t flow off the top of my head like it does for Matt’s reviews, I have to think long and I am no authority … I just try to describe my interpretation of my taste and as you well know we all interpret tastes differently. I like love to hear feedback, can’t wait till you are growing one and describing your tastes back to me, nothing is in stone. Finally my opinions will most likely change over time and the opportunity to eat more pods. I hope this makes sense and does not diminish the MoA in any way as I’m truly impressed with the plant and it’s wonderful peppers! Should I sign you up to the list?

stickman said:
Sure, I'd try a couple of each if you can spare them, and you're welcome to any of the ones I'm growing too. Cheers bro'!
Please don’t be mad Rick, I was referring to seeds but as soon as I have enough production I will certainly send you out pods instead. Right now the MoAs have a total of 10 to 12 pods at most and I’d like to experiment with this small lot to start out, I’m hoping they will flower up again soon, my plants are not as prolific producers as Steve’s yet, not sure why maybe they’re too young still or the mites set them back :/

Devv said:
Well sir, thanks for including me in your seed list, I appreciate it!

The girls get up-potted this weekend, they grew like crazy after all the rain, it's amazing..
Scott you were in from the start brethren, no worries ^_^

I picked two Jamaican MoA Scotch Bonnets today. I’d say the first one is a solid A- to a B+, although it does have a rounder shape
than the first one picked yesterday.
22jgc3.jpg

This second one is sporting a stinger, it’s only one of two stinger pods on one of the three plants. Not sure how to rate it but I’d call it a B- to a C+. That said I doubt that growing this specific seed would yield stingers but what the hell do I know, hehehe
acbnu8.jpg

buttocks view, lols.
2yuc4dg.jpg

2j2gk1l.jpg

f4gxzc.jpg

Side shots …
b49j4i.jpg

kbaydu.jpg

Thanks for looking reading and comments … hope everyone had a great day.

Back