• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

stc3248 said:
Those scorps are scary looking! May just me in my head, but the chocolates seem to me the most painful to eat! I don't care what the scoville scale says! 
Agreed, but they make great dips and work well with food. I've yet to ever make a chocolate powder so I'm setting 1/2 aside till I have enough to see how that turns out. Hope you have a great week ^_^

BTW Shane did you get out of the sea duty?
Sawyer said:
Awesome looking pods. What are you going to do with them?
I’ve made garbanzo dip with them, Tuna Pâté and Chile con Carne, they all come out really tasty and I’ve found this pepper works great with a strong garlic taste. As said above I’m starting to freeze half of what I pick or don’t use so I can make some picante garlic chocolate powder down the road.

I agree with Shane that the chocolate varieties definitely seem to be the hottest to me, as well.  That said, the red supers are no slouches in the Scoville department. 

Regarding brown powders:  highly recommended.  I have two brown powders I have been making.  One is with brown hots:  Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Black Stinger, and Long Chocolate Habs.  It has a great flavor, almost nutty, that goes well with savory dishes.  The other is brown supers:  Douglah and 7 Pot Brown.  This powder is deadly and best used in tiny amounts.  It goes awesome on chili.  I am going to make another brown powder with Sepia Serpents alone and see if it is any different.  If it is similar to the other supers, I'll just mix them together. 

+1 to Jason's comment above:  those pod shapes are indeed killer.  Love the look of those Chocolate Scorpions! 

Isn't it funny how the pests seem to come and go throughout the season?  I too had very few pests up until about a month ago.  Just recently I noted trails of ants on the stalk and a couple of branches.  Of course, I followed the trail to the tips of the plants and found aphid farms.  I've not heard of the cinnamon trick.  That is good to know, although it sounds like your ants got tolerant of it. 

Keep up the grow, Ramon!  Looking fantastic!

GA Growhead said:
Those are killer shaped pods Ramon. My two haven't thrown out any good shapes like that yet.
Thanks Jason, I’m sure yours will pop some great shapes too. Personally I think the percentage of the few I showed close up is very low on my plant but it doesn’t bother me like the low percentage of cup & saucer shaped MoAs I’ll be pulling when they ripen. As you know too well the shape doesn’t dictate the taste so if one likes a specific pod taste who cares what they look like ;)

That said both you, I and others love da cool shapes, have a great day mon ^_^

Here’s a early morning look at what I be picking come Saturday \o/
33tjdog.jpg

33c5i53.jpg

ou9lcm.jpg

n5fo6o.jpg

2r463j8.jpg

Well I won’t be picking dis grouping but shot the pick cause of their traditional shape.
sbmt5c.jpg

v6jcjl.jpg

5vqhyf.jpg

mls180.jpg

Tanks for looking, tips are accepted :D and have a great day!

DocNrock said:
I agree with Shane that the chocolate varieties definitely seem to be the hottest to me, as well. That said, the red supers are no slouches in the Scoville department.
Agree as well, great minds think alike :cheers:

DocNrock said:
Regarding brown powders: highly recommended. I have two brown powders I have been making. One is with brown hots: Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Black Stinger, and Long Chocolate Habs. It has a great flavor, almost nutty, that goes well with savory dishes. The other is brown supers: Douglah and 7 Pot Brown. This powder is deadly and best used in tiny amounts. It goes awesome on chili. I am going to make another brown powder with Sepia Serpents alone and see if it is any different. If it is similar to the other supers, I'll just mix them together.
I wouldn’t know about half the peppers you mentioned but agree on the chili and some other foods. These even worked well in a garlic & onion sofrito starter which I’ll add to various dishes. This Friday or Saturday I plan on making a Tuna Pâté, that comes out awesome … I’ll try to take some pics.

DocNrock said:
+1 to Jason's comment above: those pod shapes are indeed killer. Love the look of those Chocolate Scorpions!
WalkGood takes a bow on behalf of Mama Nature, Pic 1 (Greg) seed and Kenya, lols

DocNrock said:
Isn't it funny how the pests seem to come and go throughout the season? I too had very few pests up until about a month ago. Just recently I noted trails of ants on the stalk and a couple of branches. Of course, I followed the trail to the tips of the plants and found aphid farms. I've not heard of the cinnamon trick. That is good to know, although it sounds like your ants got tolerant of it.
Yes that sucks but seems the larger plants can take some bugs in stride till you dust them off but it drives me nuts because I see beneficials around so I don’t want to harm dem :/

Regarding the cinnamon trick, it does work very well but this time I bought the cheap stuff at the dollar store and they are either immune to it now or it’s a cheap mix.

DocNrock said:
Keep up the grow, Ramon! Looking fantastic!
Thanks Doc Brent, means a lot to me brethren :)

Have a great day and week ^_^

Been playing catch-up!

Beautiful pics! The Choc Scorps and MoA pods are looking really good! As does the MoA trees!

I've always been a meat loaf fan :D

Dang like police have me on the run:(

Some fine lookin' ladies there,, Ramon!

PIC 1 said:
Those MoA's are nice and top heavy. All kinds of pod shapes, but they all taste the same, right ?
Darn bugs, they hide under the leaves and in the crevices of the pods. A good stream of water helps before and other treatment.

I like a spiced up meatloaf. In most cases I'll add pork, veal and oatmeal to keep it moist, ground venison with pork and a heavy hand of garlic is one of my favorites.

Getting back to the MoA's do any of yours or Steve's plants have flat wide main stems that fork out in all directions. I grew 12 plants very late late season from Jamaican mkt pods.
Out of 12 eleven plants had flattened main stems. It was too late in the year to produce pods and an early frost prevented me from cloning. The reason I ask is 2 of my MoA's look the same with the wide stems. Pots are starting to form and look normal. I did pick all the early flowers off. Just curious...
Greg, I will confirm the MoA plants have relatively flat/wide stems. At first forking, these plants will fork 3-4 times instead of 2. The Ministry did a great job with selective breeding.

Ramon, love the poddage brother. I have also noticed some splitting in my pods and I believe that it's due to the non stop rain. Maters are splitting as well.

Keep up the epic grow! 83 pages! Really?!

where can u order those moa seeds from i would really like to try growing those, i tried growing some orange scotch bonnets and none of them germinating those look like great specimens of scotch bonnets

romy6 said:
Beautiful pics Ray Ray. And I think we should be asking you for tips not the other way around ;)
Thanks Brethren Jamie, you sir have given me some great tips so it’s all worth it … I’m here to share da little I know and learn from others with similar pepper love ^_^

Devv said:
Been playing catch-up!

Beautiful pics! The Choc Scorps and MoA pods are looking really good! As does the MoA trees!

I've always been a meat loaf fan :D

Dang like police have me on the run:(
I know how dat feels, I don’t think I’m caught up and there’s some glogs that have slipped thru the cracks for me :/ I guess it’s just easier to reciprocate with members that post to your glog … IDK.

Thanks for the kudos on plants and pods, seeing your jungle I have no doubt you’ll have huge MoA plants once you get them going ^_^

Police … quick Scott hide your plants, paraphernalia and death by RoseMary before they think it’s something lethal ;) BTW I’ve been using mine a lot lately, it kills stuff off but one or two days later new aphids come back. Not sure if they’re hatching or carried over by the farmer ants from hell …

cone9 said:
Some fine lookin' ladies there,, Ramon!
Thank you Dave, you have a grow going? Link me, would love to see it

STEVE954 said:
Greg, I will confirm the MoA plants have relatively flat/wide stems. At first forking, these plants will fork 3-4 times instead of 2. The Ministry did a great job with selective breeding.

Ramon, love the poddage brother. I have also noticed some splitting in my pods and I believe that it's due to the non stop rain. Maters are splitting as well.

Keep up the epic grow! 83 pages! Really?!
Tanks Steve, I thought as much … dude the stuff I have for you is getting old ;)

SweatSauwce said:
where can u order those moa seeds from i would really like to try growing those, i tried growing some orange scotch bonnets and none of them germinating those look like great specimens of scotch bonnets
Drew, thanks for stopping by, you can not buy MoA seeds. The original seed is from the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture that STEVE954 acquired and dubbed “MoA” for a shorter name of their Scotch Bonnet. There are enough growers now of the original seed around the country (thanks Steve) that next year many will be sending plenty of seeds out to other members. I don’t want this to be an open invitation because I’ve now shipped some 20+ packs and 5 internationally helping Steve spread da pepper love. Plus I’ve received way too many PMs. That said PM me your address and I’ll drop a bakers dozen in the mail for you. When you grow some you can share da pepper love with others as well by sharing your seed. Steve also came up with the pod rating (A, B, C, etc.) and I wrote a MoA review you can read Click Here

What part of South FL are you from?

Thanks everyone for stopping by, have a great day and upcoming weekend ^_^

Don't know if the ants will respond to "Tero" it's a sweet attractant that has Boron as the kill ingredient. Works great at work for the sugar ants.

Devv said:
Don't know if the ants will respond to "Tero" it's a sweet attractant that has Boron as the kill ingredient. Works great at work for the sugar ants.
Al-from-Chile said:
Just mix up boric acid, water and sugar - dirt cheap and very deadly (for ants)

Sl2,A
I’ve always used Borax and honey but only for sugar ants and that works great. I’ve never had a white footed ant problem till now and I believe they’re coming from a neighbor’s house under the fence. They tried to build a nest on my side and I put cinnamon into it and around it … poof the nest was gone the next morning. But the cinnamon isn’t working around the plants stalk anymore. I just read click here that they like sweets also but these are aphid farmers for sure, the diet per that link confirms what I already knew. I will give the Borax with honey a try outside near the MoAs, you think I should put a nice little plate full at the stalks base or on the ground. I’m now charting into territory I’ve not used honey Borax with this type of ant, hope they take the bait and ignore the aphid planting for food. Guess I’ll start tomorrow after work so I can keep an eye on it over the weekend.

I don’t believe that I have featured pictures of the Trinidad Scorpion that I am growing from Greg’s seed (PIC 1). Also I have not eaten one yet but now that Tyla’s full of pods and a few are ripening I figured it’s time she shows her stuff :D

20p51nd.jpg
xlw37q.jpg

runua8.jpg

29m1w2b.jpg

10pp05z.jpg

2s1xdmb.jpg

9s8fie.jpg

wjc1dy.jpg

2h2plom.jpg

jk7wk2.jpg

Thanks for stopping by ^_^

Very nice Ramon!

Pulled yet another one out of your hat.

Hmmm...dem dang ants, have you talked to your neighbor?

Just explain that you want a few minutes in their yard with a flame thrower :flamethrower:

It's easy :shh:

Are these fire ants, never heard of white footed ants?

Dang it Ramon!!! You got me wantin to go home and see my babies! Yours look fantabulous! Woot! Haha...how is the heat on dem White Bhuts? I ate one of the White 7 pots this past weekend and it was surprisingly HOT! You got me wantin some of those! I have some seeds I think...I gotta go look. Looking real good brother!

Devv said:
Sorry I missed that, ya know, I'm a sped reader...LOL

So sweets it is...
It happens to me too, it’s an interesting read and seems like good information.

GnomeGrown said:
nice poddage, ramon.

:mouthonfire:
Tanks mon ^_^

stc3248 said:
Dang it Ramon!!! You got me wantin to go home and see my babies! Yours look fantabulous! Woot! Haha...how is the heat on dem White Bhuts? I ate one of the White 7 pots this past weekend and it was surprisingly HOT! You got me wantin some of those! I have some seeds I think...I gotta go look. Looking real good brother!
I agree it’s hard to be away from dem hot girls, hehehe … Well that’s how I felt when I was away and concerned they would be ok upon our return.

I love the taste on the White Bhut, while it’s hot it’s not that hot but that could be due to all the rain we’ve had. I can pop half the placenta and chew it up and I’m not one for eating whole raw peppers. Every time I harvest more of one variety I take slices from the pod & placenta to taste test and identify how I will use them. I can use 2 or 3 whole in a dip and it's picante enough for da family ... This one’s a winner IMHO,

if you don’t have seeds brethren I have you covered. I’m slowly trying to accumulate some.

Is this Pupa? … sure looks like one to me, if you don’t know what a Pupa is Click Here

i5xekp.jpg

It's kind of cool, this is the first season that I have pictures of ladybugs, ladybug eggs, ladybug larve and now a pupa and no it's not bird poop :D

Back