• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

I see you're gearing up the seeds for another round of planting. Florida's climate gives you folks a never ending season. 
Those white bhuts are perdy. Mine have turned out more on the cream side of color. 
The weekends almost here...hope you have a good one!

Devv said:
Nice harvest Ramon!

As usual beautiful peppers!

Can't wait to see how the Reapers do for you!
Tanks Scott, small harvest but big enough to enjoy a few peppers and add to powder inventory. Your harvests are awesome too, I wish I still had my maters going, summer heat killed da last 3 Everglades. Lucky I have a few seeds and plan to start some up before our winter, they do better then this far south. Have a great weekend brethren ^_^

PIC 1 said:
I see you're gearing up the seeds for another round of planting. Florida's climate gives you folks a never ending season.
Those white bhuts are perdy. Mine have turned out more on the cream side of color.
The weekends almost here...hope you have a good one!
Thanks Greg but if I had a harvest as large as yours I wouldn’t need a never ending season but it sure helps, lol. I could see you living down here pulling hundreds thousands of pounds … honestly don’t know how you do it but it’s awesome!

Those White Bhuts are from your seed, that is one awesome plant considering all it’s been thru losing more than half of it during a squall. A few pods turn really white while others are creamy as you say, I’d guess one out of every five looks almost perfect, others have fine brownish lines or dots. That said, this last pull off everything except the JA Habs are much smaller size pods than all previous pulls. I think it’s the summer heat affecting them but I’m not entirely sure.

OBTW just got off the phone with Steve informing him that my first Ft. Laud. Farmers Market Scotch Bonnet hooked today after 4 days in an egg \o/ If you don’t recall that is seed from the perfect bonnets he found at our Farmers Market. I’ve gone there a few times and haven’t seen that grower there, the rest of the pods there are embarrassing, lols.

Hope you have an awesome weekend brethren :)

Stefan_W said:
Nice pod shots. Is that a white peruvian hab at the bottom?
Thanks Stefan, that’s a White Bhut Jolokia from Greg’s seed (PIC 1), they’re super looking and taste awesome IMHO. While I never did a full  review yet I did write my taste opinions some pages back and there’s a hot link at the bottom of my 1st glog post. I want to grow a few more so I can have some larger harvests cause we lovin da white pepper.

Hope you have a great weekend brethren!!!

stickman said:
Hi Ramon,
   I don't have any MoA pods ATM, but how do you think your sauce recipe would do with red and orange Habs?

Awesome find Rick, that's some smexy looking Chocho and the fruit too ;) hehehe

I don’t use Chocho in my JA Hab sauce but I don’t see why you couldn’t make a killer sauce with them, just let me know how you like it. I do have another mango sauce I do with red Habs but no Chocho in that either but I'm sure it would work fine. I can’t recall if I ever posted that other one here but believe I have not as it's a tweaked net recipe I made for my niece. If you want a copy of it, pm me your email address and I’ll send it over as it’s an MS Word Doc with pics.

Hope you have a killer weekend brethren :)

Ramon,

I have been sitting here reading all your posts, as I have followed a lot of them, and watching you describe the tastes just makes me want to jump in a try some of the pods I have.

Tonight my better half was re-heating some chili casserole, so I took a Jamaican yellow Scotch Bonnet that I got from Pepperlover and sliced it up and added the whole thing to my serving.  Wow, I think I have a new favorite.  Heat is nice a even, not to hot, but it does let you know it is there and the flavor is great.  I can't wait to start the MoA seeds that Steve sent me.

I then had to go and try to nice slices out of the first 2 ripe White Bhuts that I got this year from the seeds that Judy at Pepperlover sent me.  You are so good at describing the flavors, that it helped me get over my apprehension of eating it by itself.  I am so glad I did, what a wonderful flavor!  Now it has me wondering if it might be used as a twist on a jerk sauce for chicken.  I will have to let you know once I get enough of them if the weather holds.  
Thanks so much for your descriptions of the flavor rather than just focusing on the heat.

great fun following your blog.

Ramon,great updates. I have been checking in on one or two a day,but don't have time to write multiple paragraphs in all the ones I want to. Your photography and sauces look fantastic,been meaning to ask you about a couple of the photo effects in your shots. I will get aroubd to it eventually. Nice work mon.

bpwilly said:

Ramon,

I have been sitting here reading all your posts, as I have followed a lot of them, and watching you describe the tastes just makes me want to jump in a try some of the pods I have.

Tonight my better half was re-heating some chili casserole, so I took a Jamaican yellow Scotch Bonnet that I got from Pepperlover and sliced it up and added the whole thing to my serving.  Wow, I think I have a new favorite.  Heat is nice a even, not to hot, but it does let you know it is there and the flavor is great.  I can't wait to start the MoA seeds that Steve sent me.

I then had to go and try to nice slices out of the first 2 ripe White Bhuts that I got this year from the seeds that Judy at Pepperlover sent me.  You are so good at describing the flavors, that it helped me get over my apprehension of eating it by itself.  I am so glad I did, what a wonderful flavor!  Now it has me wondering if it might be used as a twist on a jerk sauce for chicken.  I will have to let you know once I get enough of them if the weather holds. 
Thanks so much for your descriptions of the flavor rather than just focusing on the heat.

great fun following your blog.

Bill, Thank you for the comments and I’m glad you like the Scotch Bonnet taste, isn’t that a delightful pod to include/combine with a meal. Cooking them in with the meal does the flavor wonders, it brings out or accentuates flavors that raw pods don’t portray and the leftovers are awesome when all the flavors combine. If you can’t include picante in the main dish because of family members, try sautéing a pod or two with some onion and garlic (sofrito starter). Heat that up separately and add a little or a lot to the individual served bowls. I keep one or two Tupperware sealed bowls of more than one variety in the fridge, it can last fine for a few weeks.

What an awesome taste to the White Bhut, happy to read you agree ... ...

Wow what a great idea to make a jerk sauce based on white pepper, hat's off mon [SIZE=12pt]\o_[/SIZE] and thank you for sharing your idea. Now I need about 40 whites to make some, lol. That said I can start writing my thoughts and make some small test samples as I picked a few the other night. Now I can't wait for the other white Bhuts I'm germanating so I can eventually pull 40+ at one time for a mungo batch of White Jerk, hehehe. I think you should go to work on one right away and we can compare notes or see who gets one finished firs, read, start go ;)  You sir are a genius, so happy you posted here :)

I’d love to see some pics of your White Bhut plants and pods, have you posted any? Please link me or feel free to post pictures here in my glog.

Thanks for stopping in and I wish you and yours an awesome weekend, grow on mon!!!

Pr0digal_son said:
Ramon,great updates. I have been checking in on one or two a day,but don't have time to write multiple paragraphs in all the ones I want to. Your photography and sauces look fantastic,been meaning to ask you about a couple of the photo effects in your shots. I will get aroubd to it eventually. Nice work mon.

Thank you John for da sauce and picture kudos mon :) But wow you are too kind brethren … I have to tell you I’m a hack compared to your photo skills but I have fun with it. I may not always post in your glog but I love your pictures, true professionalism, hats off mon [SIZE=12pt]\o_[/SIZE] I should be asking you for tips hehe.

Hope you and yours have an awesome weekend ^_^

So yesterday after work I notice I have my first new hook, a Fort Lauderdale Farmers Market Scotch Bonnet (FL-FM-SB). Seed from Steve (STEVE954), if you CLICK HERE for Steve’s post #311 you can see some pictures that Steve took when he first aquired these pods. I’ve been over there a few times lately and have not found the same vendor :/ But there’s Chocho everywhere and the fruit too ;)

As most that have gone thru my glog know I start my girls out in eggs, if they can’t hatch that way I probably wouldn’t want them in my garden … where the strong survive, hehehe.
4ik0ly.jpg

25j8rh2.jpg

2vd0m4k.jpg

Devv said:
Aight! LB came back from shopping with a Chocho and a Mango...tomorrows project, but I too will have to use Habs....
I have a great mango and hab recipe pm me your email and I’ll send it as it’s in a word doc. That said, the MoA recipe should be really nice with Habs too, enjoy and don’t forget to take plenty of pics or have LB take them while you make it ^_^

Al-from-Chile said:
hahaha!!!! - you def. made my day ....

PUNK! :D

cheers, Al
Happy I could make you laugh ;) and believe it or not those are actual Kermit eyes, hahaha

Ramon,

Thanks for the reply.  No, I have not posted a grow-log on this site yet this year.  guess I better get off my duff and get some pictures taken.

I got a kick out of the kermit the frog look of those chochos.   Now I better try and see if I can find some at the stores tomorrow.

As for the White Bhut jerk sauce, I only have about 5 ripe pods so far this year, but have plenty on the plants.  It is now a gamble to see if they get ripe before the weather turns.  Regardless who gets the sauce made fist, lets make sure to post the results, as I really love a good hot jerk sauce. 

I will get something posted soon, but I knwo my pictures will not come out as nice as yours.  You do have the touch!

Guess I better learn how to attach a picture, so I can share.

Take care
So here goes my first try at posting a picture.  Here is a shot of the few White Bhuts that I have harvested this week.
http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/bpwilly/media/2013%20Peppers%20Grow%20log/Harvest%20pictures/Sept%204%20Harvest%20pictures/ButchTwhiteBhutJolokia_zpsd5aa785b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I sure hope this works

MGOLD86 said:
Wow Ramon, you been keepin busy! Nice "last" harvest for a while but it won't be too long before you are postin more harvest pics in that beautiful SOFLO weather!
Thanks for stopping by Matt, yea been busy with kids, wife and work. Now they want me to go full time which will be even busier but could use da extra cash, lol.

Plants have been stripped clean but it was worth using the last MoAs to test out a decent size batch of WalkGood Tres Alarmas Caribbean MoA Sauce. Wasn’t the same making small little batches to see how it would taste. BTW I finished putting another recipe together for the White Bhut, a jerk paste inspired by bpwilly’s (Bill) post #1946. Now I just need mas pods, lol. But I’m going to test it out later today using White Bhut powder for any pod shortfall.

Wishing you and yours an awesome Sunday :)

bpwilly said:
Ramon,
Thanks for the reply.  No, I have not posted a grow-log on this site yet this year.  guess I better get off my duff and get some pictures taken.

I got a kick out of the kermit the frog look of those chochos.   Now I better try and see if I can find some at the stores tomorrow.

As for the White Bhut jerk sauce, I only have about 5 ripe pods so far this year, but have plenty on the plants.  It is now a gamble to see if they get ripe before the weather turns.  Regardless who gets the sauce made fist, lets make sure to post the results, as I really love a good hot jerk sauce.

I will get something posted soon, but I knwo my pictures will not come out as nice as yours.  You do have the touch!

Guess I better learn how to attach a picture, so I can share. …
  • Awesome harvest Bill! Love dem pods & colors, now you just need a few pics of the plants
  • All you do is copy the BB code in the little box upper right side marked IMG and paste it here
  • There are 4 links there to share photo’s, only use the one marked IMG
  • I’ll paste it here so you can see how they look
  • On my photos I resize so they load faster and I noted that you have already done that to 128 KB. I do take that a step further and reduce the width to 700 but AFAIK the site software will reduce the size so it does not break the layout
  • Great job on grow, White Bhut, veggies and all your other pods
  • Beautiful looking peppers brethren!
  • Hope you have a killer Sunday!
The following pictures belong to bpwilly, Bill hats off mon \o_

DSC_0015_zpsc9c93dde.jpg

P1040478_zpse4391e7f.jpg

ButchTwhiteBhutJolokia_zpsd5aa785b.jpg

Back