• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Are you planting for next year already?

Well you don't really get many frosts there do you?

Last winter we had just a few light frosts, but sometimes....

Devv said:
Are you planting for next year already?
My grow is year round but yes I’m starting 10 peppers now and have started gifting some plants. Steve stopped by the other day and adopted one of my JA Habaneros.

Devv said:
Well you don't really get many frosts there do you?
Not really although we have had some minor frost years back, heck back in 1976 or 77 it actually snowed here, hahahaha.

Devv said:
Last winter we had just a few light frosts, but sometimes....
I’ve yet to lose a pepper from frost but have lost orchids :( Well they do get a little damaged but if they’re big they pull through it.

Here’s what I’m starting soaking now:
  • White Bhut Jolokia (2nd generation)
  • White Fatalii
  • White 7-Pot
  • MoA (2nd  generation)
  • Fort Laud. Farmers Mkt. Scotch Bonnet (1st generation)
  • Bahamian Goat
  • JA Habanero (funky pod seeds)
  • Aji Pineapple
  • Peach Bhut Jolokia
  • Naga King Jolokia
I might add others but not sure yet ...

Your right, I guess I just noticed the all spice and scotch bonnets. Yes, probably this week I might be able to make that recipe, only thing I wouldn't add is the coriander just because I absolutely ruined coriander for myself (long story). But the color and consistency of that looks absolutely perfect brotha! Plus it's got that Walkgood touch to it, loving it man.

Nice list!

The year before we had a ice storm, was cool, got a day off :D

Flurried once, never really snowed here in the close to 25 years I've been here.

Darthpepper said:
jealous...

As I said before everything looks great :)
Thank you for stopping in and commenting but don’t be jealous, there are many negatives to living down here but right now I can’t think of any ;)

Jamison said:
Your right, I guess I just noticed the all spice and scotch bonnets. Yes, probably this week I might be able to make that recipe, only thing I wouldn't add is the coriander just because I absolutely ruined coriander for myself (long story). But the color and consistency of that looks absolutely perfect brotha! Plus it's got that Walkgood touch to it, loving it man.
Hope you didn’t take any offense but I seriously am interested if you have seen a Jerk sauce like that. Heck you gave me a great idea to try something different. I will try to add a little myself just to test next time I make some, maybe just pull a little aside before adding brown sugar for the test but I doubt the Chocho would go with Jerk but the Mango could substitute the sugar.

What is it about Coriander that you don’t like? It’s only 1/8 teaspoon, BTW you could substitute it for a dash of powdered cilantro. Definitely give the MoA sauce a try, I’d love to hear your feedback … Have a great week mon :)

Devv said:
Nice list!

The year before we had a ice storm, was cool, got a day off :D

Flurried once, never really snowed here in the close to 25 years I've been here.
Sounds to me that you could grow year round as well, have you tried?

Devv said:
I do but not with plants that are frost sensitive. But I do intend to see if the ones I like best make it in the dirt, and I have the "bag ladies" ;)

I want to see you keep dem going brethren. OW the one’s you want for sure and the big one’s in the ground should fend off for dem selves. If you really want to keep one of the big one’s try to clone them, my white Bhut rooted fairly quick in rain water. Yea I know it’s hard to come by, even here these days rain is scarce or should I say sparse.

Vegas_Chili said:

Really hard to keep up man! Lol.

That MoA sauce looks like gold.

, Walter

Thanks Walter … hope you get a chance to make some. If peeps only knew how much time and thought I put into that recipe, I have been trying out different stuff since I pulled da first pod. I wasn’t sure I was going to share the recipe but since Steve was so generous spreading the seeds around and got me sending them too, I figured it was the least I could do. Hope you get the chance to make some and enjoy!

Have a great week :)

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Ramon. Lots of folks keep treasures in closets, which I understand if selling, I suppose. I understand how hard it is to come up with a good signature recipe. And given that, like finally getting a Lexington BBQ sauce I could not only stand but kinda like down, after 50 failed attempts (just gotta know the pulled pork Q civil war between eastern and western NC sauces and methods; generally I cannot abide western, aka Lexington sauce, even if am from western NC, originally; so created one I could tolerate); but I'll share that recipe in a heartbeat (while I still prefer the simpler eastern NC sauce lol) However, there are still people who guard their eastern sauce! (For real.) I don't get it but have seen fist-fights, knife fights, blood drawn over these two methods and sauces. Seriously :rolleyes:.

Am so glad you shared this recete and more thrilled that your wife came through a-okay!!! :dance:  Fantastic! Many thanks, praises to Jah!

But where in da world supposed to come up with a substitute for Chocho? No other taste like it. I laughed at the Wikipedia . . . de acuerdo. Not bland, para mi. One source I know could try on my lunch break Thurs. If not, half sweet potato, barely baked with whole granny smith apple, a couple yellow raisins might be close but . . . Think I'll take my Spanish lang "expert" student--the one who can't say "casa" w/o sounding like "Mama Cassa"--with me. Give him a JA Hab to chew on/keep him from talking on the way. Damn, they taste sweeter now, huge, and getting hotter!

+1 on that Ramon... I feel the same way about my red Hab sauce... I'm not interested in marketing bottles of sauce, so I don't mind sharing the recipe. One reason I posted it on my glog is to document it so I don't hear about someone trying to patent it or claim it as their own later on... I'd rather it stayed in the public domain.

annie57 said:
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Ramon. Lots of folks keep treasures in closets, which I understand if selling, I suppose. I understand how hard it is to come up with a good signature recipe. And given that, like finally getting a Lexington BBQ sauce I could not only stand but kinda like down, after 50 failed attempts (just gotta know the pulled pork Q civil war between eastern and western NC sauces and methods; generally I cannot abide western, aka Lexington sauce, even if am from western NC, originally; so created one I could tolerate); but I'll share that recipe in a heartbeat (while I still prefer the simpler eastern NC sauce lol) However, there are still people who guard their eastern sauce! (For real.) I don't get it but have seen fist-fights, knife fights, blood drawn over these two methods and sauces. Seriously :rolleyes:.
I just hope you like it and let me know if I could add or change anything for improvement. Be careful on the amount of mango or how ripe it is at time so you don’t make it too sweet … regardless I’m sure you’ll tweak it perfectly muchacha ^_^

It’s not that I’ll ever make a penny from selling hot sauce, its more about being able to pass down recipes to your children that are considered close family secrets … you know they loved dat stuff, lols

annie57 said:
Am so glad you shared this recete and more thrilled that your wife came through a-okay!!! :dance:  Fantastic! Many thanks, praises to Jah!
Thanks for the best wishes for my better half, still in pain and will be home for the next 3 to 4 weeks … dam WalkGood won’t be able to get away with any ting mon, hahaha ;)

annie57 said:
But where in da world supposed to come up with a substitute for Chocho? No other taste like it. I laughed at the Wikipedia . . . de acuerdo. Not bland, para mi. One source I know could try on my lunch break Thurs. If not, half sweet potato, barely baked with whole granny smith apple, a couple yellow raisins might be close but . . . Think I'll take my Spanish lang "expert" student--the one who can't say "casa" w/o sounding like "Mama Cassa"--with me. Give him a JA Hab to chew on/keep him from talking on the way. Damn, they taste sweeter now, huge, and getting hotter!

I gotta believe you’ll find some Chocho and you’re 200% correct on Wiki, have you ever looked at the picture of the Hab they have for Scotch Bonnet, lol. I read this on the net but have not tried a substitute myself “Chocho is a member of the squash family, but have a traslucent, soft-crisp texture which isn't really exactly like any other squash. In recipes where they are an incidental ingredient, you can generally substitute zucchini (especially if you peel and seed it) without too much trouble, but in recipes where they are a main flavor they hare hard to substitute.”

Yea the JA Habs do get sweet, with them I allow over ripening and no sugars are need in their sauces but sometimes I'll include mango. The heat levels are strong but do change for me depending on the time of year and amount of rain fall. I love dat pepper, glad you are enjoying her ^_^

stickman said:
+1 on that Ramon... I feel the same way about my red Hab sauce... I'm not interested in marketing bottles of sauce, so I don't mind sharing the recipe. One reason I posted it on my glog is to document it so I don't hear about someone trying to patent it or claim it as their own later on... I'd rather it stayed in the public domain.
I have no interest in marketing hot sauce either but I’ve not read the small print on this site and most forums that I have participated in do have fine print. For example "we own your pictures (thus I reduce every pic) and what you write" and in this case I would take that to include personal recipes but IDK and don’t care to read fine print.

Take a look at urban dictionary where I posted definitions to numerous things back in their early days, hell they’ve been selling WalkGood t-shirts, coffee mugs and other stuff for years now just because I didn't read their fine print and that does piss me off. Was I going to ever do it, nope … that term belongs to the Caribbean people …

Rant over, I’m glad you shared your sauce as well :)

Hope the both of you have a sensational week ^_^

stickman said:

cool attitude!

"not everything that has value has to have a price in this world!"

Yum.......I can smell that Caribbean Hot Sauce from here. Those are the staple ingredients for a good one.

Sorry I haven't been glogging around lately,as I have missed alot of recent info.
 I hope your wife is doing fine...any kind of stay in a hospital is always a worry, good to know sshe's home.

I just reread your description on the how to with the sauce.....well played !

I want you to know I do appreciate the recipes you share with us!

I know many personally who won't share, I tend to disagree and share any I have. My Grandpa's Italian sauce recipe is just killer, and I think everyone should have access to it, let it live on! And I do agree if you intend on selling it, it's your right to keep your hard work private.

I wonder if a Chocho is available here in Tejas?

Keep on being you Mon!

Al-from-Chile said:
cool attitude! …

Agreed, Rick has a great attitude and shares his peppers, sauces, seeds and den some with others here :)

PIC 1 said:
Yum.......I can smell that Caribbean Hot Sauce from here. Those are the staple ingredients for a good one.

Sorry I haven't been glogging around lately,as I have missed alot of recent info.
I hope your wife is doing fine...any kind of stay in a hospital is always a worry, good to know sshe's home.

I just reread your description on the how to with the sauce.....well played !

Greg thanks for the sauce kudos and back at ya for your recent updates, simply impressive mon … not sure I could deal with a 42 lb pull but it would be fun to process. In my case it would probably be death by pepper :D

With those Jamaican markets in your area I bet you already know where to trade for some Chocho, hehe

My better half is home and doing better but still in pain, we’ll know more after next Monday when she sees the Doc for follow up. No apologies needed for not being around, you just taking care of business [SIZE=12pt]♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪[/SIZE]

Devv said:

I want you to know I do appreciate the recipes you share with us!

I know many personally who won't share, I tend to disagree and share any I have. My Grandpa's Italian sauce recipe is just killer, and I think everyone should have access to it, let it live on! And I do agree if you intend on selling it, it's your right to keep your hard work private.

I wonder if a Chocho is available here in Tejas?

Keep on being you Mon!
Thanks Scott and I appreciate all your sharing as well ^_^ I have to believe that you can find Chocho around there via some Hispanic stores. I did a quick google search and it said for Houston Chocho is available at Fiesta, Kroger or Brookshire Brothers. But they’ll most likely call it Chayote, good luck and let me know if you try it out.

JJJessee said:

That is an amazing looking sauce!
Thanks for sharing the recipe and pics, Ramon, and glad your wife is doing better.
Good luck with da new babies.

Thanks triple J mon for good wishes for my better half :) Hope you make some sauce as it’s very tasty for sure. Thanks for the well wishes for the new girls too, they should be sprouting any day now, wishful thinking on my part, lolz.

romy6 said:

Damn Ray Ray that sauce looks off the charts delicioso :P  . May need to head down I95 this weekend and give somebody a visit   ;)

Thanks Jamie, you always welcome at mi casa mon … but you best come quick, da kid has already gone thru the first bottle :-o

Devv said:

I have LB on the prowl, we may just be able to come up with one, as we live in a 50-50 Hispanic area.

Make sure she doesn’t ask for Chocho, they might think LB is a swinger, hehehe ;)
I have no doubt you’ll find some, heck I bet you could trade some peppers for one. Try getting more than one, so you can taste it. Peal and try a few slices, not bad … they go good in other top secret sauces too ;)

Almost forgot to tell you Scott, I soaked your well endowed reaper seeds last night and planted into their eggs late today after work. Can't wait to see dem pop brethren, thanks again for the seed. BTW I'm not sure how you got them in those little tiny bags, one of my fingers can't fit in and I'm not fat, lol.

Last small harvest for a while, although some plants are flowering, hope we get some rain soon. I do have a few pods left on some plants but not many.
2hxagjp.jpg

2m784ug.jpg

261ixq0.jpg

3096jkk.jpg

1zbcglu.jpg

2cctpvn.jpg

mlpo51.jpg

Back