• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Devv said:
I'd like to see a pic if you have one , or come across another.

koskorgul said:
Yes, would love to see what the pupa stage looks like

Wish I could say the same thing for salt water. Unfortunately I live to far inland.
Here you go.....

This is part of the coccoon, I dug it up, after the moth had emerged :(

IMAG1761_zps10ac25b8.jpg

Here are a couple images off the web of whole ones....

images_zps5f47a0d8.jpg

images-1_zps41c32b4b.jpg

Ok, Since we share the garden with our neighbor, I spend a bit of time teaching their kids about gardening stuff etc...
Also I babysit them regularly, so I also taught them that coffee is really called "the beans of life" bwahahaha

Anyway, the kids helped me on many hornwormjerk hunts last year.

When we were preparing the main garden for tomatoes and peppers, one of them dug up a hornjerk caccoon.
She asked "what's this"....I told here, and she immediately dropped it.
Then instantaneously the boy yells "kill it kill it kill it" and proceeds to karate chop it with a spade until it was completely obliterated.... guts flying everywhere...the other two kids screaming because they got splattered with hornjerk guts....lol

Stefan_W said:
The flowers and plants are looking great! I have never had to deal with them personally, but I hear those hornworms are nasty critters. Squish one for me too please.
Will do and thanks for stopping in, squishshshshshshsh, chop, chop, you never can be too sure, lol.

DesertChris said:
hahaha, well it wasn't thousands in one day!!
The most I got was 300 in one night using the uv light.
The couple thousand was the total for the whole growing season.

Speaking of hornjerks...i dug up another pupa today....man even the cocoon's are creepy as heck!
300 in one night is a huge number, this is a one off thing in my garden but I do believe I know where there’s a cocoon and I’m going to try and dig it up during an up-potting but I don’t really care to keep that plant so we’ll see, might just toss the whole thing, lolz.

Devv said:
I'd like to see a pic if you have one , or come across another.
Chris posted one and I thank him too ^_^

RocketMan said:
Man, nasty looking moth.

I have one of those bug lights in the back yard that supposed to cover up to an Acre and I guess it's working up a charm since I haven't swatted a single skeeter this year and haven't seen but maybe 2 love bugs in the back. Plus there's he entertainment of watching he bugs getting zapped in the everning.

:)
I wonder if the sphinx moth would fly into one as they hover like humming birds rather than the uncontrolled flight of normal moths. If you kill one in it, I’m sold and please let us know. BTW I’m sure they’re up your way as I’ve seen them in Melbourne when I lived there.

koskorgul said:
Yes, would love to see what the pupa stage looks like

Wish I could say the same thing for salt water. Unfortunately I live to far inland.
I’ve fished fresh but don’t have the knowledge as I do for fishing salt in the South FL area.

DesertChris said:
Here you go …
Thanks for the pics, I never saw one and didn’t get around to googling it. The pictures work in prefect with our discussions.

Here's a few Jamaican Habs that are ripening up, hope to pick one or two tomorrow ^_^
2n4sjk.jpg

5d4b39.jpg

331zyj8.jpg

Devv said:
Nasty looking bugs...

Great looking pods, you're almost there!

Keep up the good work my friend :dance:
I am covered for peppers, maybe one a day but no boat load till the new plants pods get bigger. Now there are pods forming on JA MoA SB, Chocolate Scrop, White Bhut, Trinidad Scorp and Red Bhut. Can't wait for dem to get large enough to eat ^_^

As always, thanks for keeping tabs Scott :)

romy6 said:
Can't wait to see what you cook up with those peppers brother Ray!!!
I’ve been cooking a lot, always try to use a pepper, two or three, hehe … kinda been burnt out on taking too many pics and figured I’ll just enjoy the great stuff being posted by you and the rest of the great posters here. Hope to post something interesting sooner or later and thanks for the vote of confidence Mr. Jamie romy6 brethren ^_^

Finally the last of the n00bs in our garden is flowering, hehe … red Bhut Jolokia flower below, just checked and I was wrong, still waiting for the White Bhut flower buds to open and the Trinidad Scorp.

30xk3t1.jpg

I love the story of the kids squishing the hornworm cocoon. Gotta teach kids the right way of dealing with pests from the get go!

The pods look great, and everything looks like it is well underway over in your garden. Good stuff!

sicman said:
guess im a sissy,cause sicman aint holding no cocoons maybe stomping on them. desert chris you are a real man ;) :rofl:

jamican habs looking yummy!
Sic, thanks for checking ^_^ and I was digging for cocoons yesterday but didn’t find one. I'm Not sure what would leave a pencil size hole in the dirt approximately 12 inches from a plant stalk. The little hole looked like something made it to burry eggs :0

Stefan_W said:
I love the story of the kids squishing the hornworm cocoon. Gotta teach kids the right way of dealing with pests from the get go!
Sounds like a good song title, “Kids Squishing Cocoons,” ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ hahahaha …

Stefan_W said:
The pods look great, and everything looks like it is well underway over in your garden. Good stuff!
Thanks Stefan, appreciate your comments as always … how tings at casa de Stefan Estates?

stc3248 said:
Those are some BA tasty looking Habs brudda! I didn't grow any red hab varieties this year, but the hotsalts made from the Caribbean Red and Red Lanterns are some of the tastiest!
Thanks Shane, I love the taste of the red JA Habs compared to others Habs I’ve purchased locally. These have a strain from Scotch Bonnet IMO and are much juicier than the regulars I’ve eaten before. I plan on making some powder but haven’t stored enough yet as I keep eating them but for every one I eat, I freeze one which I picked up from reading your glog as in the past I never froze them. I did gift a lot of pods last year and only had enough to make powder a few times in small batches, hopefully I’ll be able to make a larger batch later in our season.Thanks for stopping in ^_^

koskorgul said:
I found some cocoons when I was turning the soil in the one garden. They looked like the ones posted except they didnt have the hook on the end and were much smaller. Did some research and found out they were the Cicada cacoons.
Did you try the song out on dem, hahaha there's some very interesting information on dem here.

Haha...I hear ya on the eating them, with me stockpiling is the only way to go since I am only home to harvest on the weekends, and by seasons end my harvests covered our pool table. You're gonna have some surplus this year...how many plants you got going now???

koskorgul said:
actually I threw them in my kids's pool and jumped in with them. yeah I didnt feel any younger at all.
lol

DesertChris said:
Speaking of JA Habs.... I have had 5 of your seeds pop for me now!!
WooHoo!!! :)
I hope the Jamaicans like the desert sun :) but right now they are being babied under the lights inside :)
Congrats on da 5 girls popping, oh don't let your wife read that last line ;) I hope they like dat sun too cause if you get to eat a few I’m betting you’ll love the taste … or I hope you do, hehehe.

stc3248 said:
Haha...I hear ya on the eating them, with me stockpiling is the only way to go since I am only home to harvest on the weekends, and by seasons end my harvests covered our pool table. You're gonna have some surplus this year...how many plants you got going now???
I’m giving it a try thanks to you, it’s super hard to freeze something that taste so good fresh and within my foods I probably eat two a day. My yields aren’t that high, a pound or two at most, so in the past I never stockpiled. Once I get enough I’ll try to document the use. Last time I had a large quantity I made 2 bottles of hot sauce and thank God it’s lasted but I’m now running out.

Woke up early & hungry, after looking in da fridge I decided to make up a quick Gallo Pinto & Café con leche. I used JA Hab pepper, 5 Everglades Wild Matoes and I think the rest is self explanatory but any questions please feel free to ask.

10fnuhc.jpg

21d2ye.jpg

35ml7ya.jpg

2wmju6a.jpg

2zthvg2.jpg

Trippa said:
Great shot of that chinense flower walkgood!! Loving the pods as well. Looks like the season is really heating up there. Nice one!
Thanks for stopping in and checking Trippa :)

Great looking chow, Ramon!  Now I'm even more hungry!  ;)

Looks quite prolific in Florida.  Pods a ripening. 

Those hornworms are the devil!  I've had a number of leaves with those semicircular cuts in them, but damn if I have been able to find any hornworms.  I have killed about four Sphinx Moths this season, though.  So hopefully I nipped that one in the bud. 

@Shane:  "strip a plant to parade rest"  Hahaha, only from someone in the military!

Back